Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Insurance story

Old 11-26-2010, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dombey,Nov 25 2010, 09:41 AM

The reason the insurance companies charge more when a car hasn't been continuously insured is because something could have happened to it while uninsured
I'm sorry, but that is totally false.

They are two completely different coverages. You can remove your collision coverage (which is the majority of the cost) when you car is in storage.

The comprehensive stays in place.

My S2k costs me $40 a month when I'm driving it, when I remove the collision it goes down to almost nothing.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F22C,K23A+Nov 26 2010, 03:41 PM
Maybe I was unclear on explaining my case.

Here's the better explaination:

$1200 was only for the RDX alone.

The S2000 insurance bill and the RDX insurance bill is seperated.

My S2000 insurance qoute was even higher than that of my RDX. Since I only put 3000 miles MAX on the S2000 a year, I only bought the libility insurance. Plus, I could not pay the full coverage bill on both cars at the same time, I will just kill me.
It sounds like you should pick a car that better suits your finances then.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by saluki9,Nov 26 2010, 06:11 PM
I'm sorry, but that is totally false.

They are two completely different coverages. You can remove your collision coverage (which is the majority of the cost) when you car is in storage.

The comprehensive stays in place.

My S2k costs me $40 a month when I'm driving it, when I remove the collision it goes down to almost nothing.
I love how everyone on the internet uses words like "totally false" when they didn't understand what you were saying.

What I was saying is if you dropped ALL of your coverage and went naked, you'd be probably be penalized when reinstating for not having continuous coverage. You don't seem to be doing that given that you kept your comprehensive in place.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Nov 26 2010, 09:11 AM
Call me paranoid but I'd edit your post. I work in a plaintiffs firm and would love to stumble across a vehicle owner talking about how much insurance he has in the event that is a defendant in a case.
yeah well, I'm sure my insurance company is probably more worried about it than I am. Honestly i think if I hurt someone in an accident that was my fault, there are a lot more things that would probably F me than having disclosed my policy limits on the internet in a place that no one would ever find.

Wife is an insurance defense attorney and an ex PI attorney... so I've got that going for me.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by dombey,Nov 25 2010, 07:41 AM
lol that premium blows! I just renewed my insurance on my IS-F and 08 RDX, $570 for 6 months with 250/500 coverage. We use progressive. I have 3 speeding tickets and two expensive ($25k worth) comprehensive claims on record in the last 5 yrs.
Do you have horrendous credit and like 67 accidents in the last 3 weeks?

The reason the insurance companies charge more when a car hasn't been continuously insured is because something could have happened to it while uninsured - eg you could have run your snow blower into it and put a huge scrape and dent into the side - the insurance company has no way of knowing this, and once you add coverage you could claim it, but they never collected the premiums from you....it's like preexisting conditions for health insurance.
Your best bet is going to be to maintain your RDX/S2000 insurance but drop the coverage as low as it can go, raise your deductibles to $2500 (or whatever your company's max is), and drop the optional coverages. That way you can be "continuously insured" but not paying more than you have to.
How can you get the insurance so low?
And you mentioned, rising the deductable to a higher level....erh....does it worth doing?
(As this moment, I haven't have any accident claim yet so far in my driving history. But what I'm worrying is when it get snowing badly...things could happen, you know.)
Anyone can charm in?
Old 11-26-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash,Nov 25 2010, 08:00 AM
I pay $590 / 6 months, with full coverage from State Farm in the Bay Area, CA.

How in the world are you getting quoted 3,000 w/o accidents? How many tickets do you have?

story is
I unlucky got a total of 3 speeding tickets and 2 exhaust tickets, in my entire driving history.

(Does it matter? I thought it's the accident claims which matter isn't it? Cos, insurance company need to pay for the repair bill from that rite?)
Old 11-26-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Nov 25 2010, 11:13 PM
Wowsers, I thought I had it bad, anyway if u feel like ur getting ripped off, shop around, insurance really is a commodity, just make sure you have the same coverages, make sure the same things are covered, and then just make sure that they have a functioning claims department.
I did shop around and compare the prices, for example, I brought all the insurance documents into statefarm and ask for a new transfer qoute. The agents there tried their best to try lowing my bill, but they couldn't find anything that is lower than what I'm paying now.

Or, is there trick on the insurance thing?
Advices would be greatly appreciated.

**Thanks for everyone's ideas and facts, happy holiday!!**

*Anyone if you also own the S2000 and the RDX, please tell me how much insurance are you paying. If you don't feel comfortable saying it on the thread, please pm me.*
Old 11-26-2010, 09:02 PM

Im 22 now and I pay on my 2001 S2000 with a State Farm policy $620/6mo. $500deductible 100/300/uninsured...

I live in Miami, Fl and the car / insurance is under my name.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by folex187,Nov 26 2010, 03:04 PM
That price is INSANE. I pay about half of that for my CLS63.
Do you own any insurance related company? If yes, let me know. LoL

I really want to find a way to lower my bill, my lather wallet is feeling like a CF wallet....
Old 11-26-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by txjeepn,Nov 26 2010, 06:19 PM
It sounds like you should pick a car that better suits your finances then.
Reply:
LoL, I really did thought of selling my S2000. But the qoute from dealers are way too low. The money they offer couldn't even cover my bank loan on the S2000. And that's why I'm still keeping the S2000.

Other than that, I want to ask. Is the year of model does matter the insurance price alot? Cos, I'm reading many of you guys having the older model having a really good deal on insurance. My point is, is it a big difference or just a little bit?

Quick Reply: Insurance story