Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Insight EX vs Fit Sport

Old 06-04-2009, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdizzle,Jun 3 2009, 07:34 PM
The car is junk, MY OPINION. I'd take a car from Honda's past lineup costing $1000 any day of the week over a FIT. I swear to you the FIT is not much of an advancement from the cars of back then, sure cosmetically and safety wise yes but if safety was my biggest concern I wouldn't be hauling myself nor family members in that tiny car to begin with.

You Captain Planet FIT defenders seem delusional to me.
I had a 99 Civic and now an 08 Fit. I would much rather my Fit that has warranty and is ultra reliable than have my old Civic that had 99K miles on it. Your argument is funny. Tell us more why you think a 10yr old Civic is better than a newer model Honda.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Jun 3 2009, 12:46 PM
If you really value safety features and having a ton of lifesaving WEIGHT over all else in a vehicle, what the heck are you doing in an S2000?

I'll take lightweight over a bunch of fun-robbing mass and safety features.

To each his own...
i value your point about lightweight. i think all of us s2000 drivers do.
but just because you drive a s2k doesn't mean you wouldn't buy another car (DD, family hauler) and can't value safety & comfort - especially when there are loved ones involved. like you said, to each his own. that's why all cars have their strong and weak pts and hence this discussion
Old 06-04-2009, 07:38 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Jun 3 2009, 04:42 PM
My point was cars of today and the future will continue to get heavier (on average) due to increased safety, features , etc. Until we have some revolution of new and lighter materials, this trend will continue. You can't compare a pos car that is 15 years old to a car of today, its basically apples to oranges at this point...
There was a time, not so long ago, when it was a given that cars in the future would be LIGHTER-WEIGHT.

And they SHOULD be. Advancements in design, materials, construction techniques, etc. etc. etc. mean that we should be able to maintain or even increase safety with REDUCED mass. And no, I'm not talking about "exotic" more expensive materials/processes. I'm talking about more with less at the same price point. Real PROGRESS.

Over the past 15-20 years, the automakers have gone overboard with MORE IS MORE being their mantra.

We are LONG overdue to begin doing MORE with LESS. That is what the future *should* hold for us.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:22 AM

[QUOTE=s2000craze,Jun 4 2009, 05:51 AM]I had a 99 Civic and now an 08 Fit. I would much rather my Fit that has warranty and is ultra reliable than have my old Civic that had 99K miles on it. Your argument is funny. Tell us more why you think a 10yr old Civic is better than a newer model Honda.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't lie. For me, I'd get the Fit over a 19 year old car because I don't want to drive an old car anymore.

I want the new features that weren't available with my current car: steering wheel mounted radio controls, cupholders that work, TCS, side-mounted and passenger airbags, rear speakers, and not least of all: an air conditioner that works when I'm idling (I don't know how well the Fit's A/C works, but it has to be better than mine).

The warranty is nice, but not a dealmaker. The reliability of my old car is bulletproof, but I know deep down that it's not going to last forever and I won't put another dollar into it except for oil changes. If I'm going to spend $300 on a car it will be a payment on a new car...not repairs on an old one.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:55 AM

[QUOTE=Incubus,Jun 4 2009, 08:36 AM] I won't lie.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 PM

Big plus with Insight EX is that it comes with VSA. You have to get navi with the Fit Sport to get VSA.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fit vs. Civic?-> Why do we have to compare a classic Civic over a modern Fit anyway? It boggles me quite frankly and we're getting off-topic post by post!

BT-> To summarize both the Fit S and the Insight EX based on fist glances. Take note I haven't tried these two cars as of yet, but I would think it just a matter of personal preference really.

Insight-> Sure it takes the crown as the 'most fun to drive hybrid'. But I'm still not convinced its initial and long term cost of the vehicle. Plus with its sheer complexity of its mechanics/electronics starts to scare me and my friends. And as a 'driving for fun' type of guy, a M/T is surely be missed.

Fit-> The car is almost a complete opposite without losing or even gaining more of the 'fun to drive' index. I just love it's interior flexibility, and simplicity. I drove the the last-gen Fit, all I get is a smile on my face, and I bet I would feel the same thing too with this new one. The Fit matches my preference quite perfectly as a backup car to my S.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Vanishing Boy,Jun 4 2009, 09:20 PM
Fit vs. Civic?-> Why do we have to compare a classic Civic over a modern Fit anyway? It boggles me quite frankly and we're getting off-topic post by post!

BT-> To summarize both the Fit S and the Insight EX based on fist glances. Take note I haven't tried these two cars as of yet, but I would think it just a matter of personal preference really.

Insight-> Sure it takes the crown as the 'most fun to drive hybrid'. But I'm still not convinced its initial and long term cost of the vehicle. Plus with its sheer complexity of its mechanics/electronics starts to scare me and my friends. And as a 'driving for fun' type of guy, a M/T is surely be missed.

Fit-> The car is almost a complete opposite without losing or even gaining more of the 'fun to drive' index. I just love it's interior flexibility, and simplicity. I drove the the last-gen Fit, all I get is a smile on my face, and I bet I would feel the same thing too with this new one. The Fit matches my preference quite perfectly as a backup car to my S.

I test drove both, since we were in the market for both. At the end the insight won. But when it comes to driving, I'd say they're on equal grounds. The fit wins with the availability of manual, but the insight is just as tossable with some more electrical torque. And there really isn't anything new with the insight's technology. They'be been using the IMA for quite a while now. Don't all hybrids turn off/on?