Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Infiniti G35 or Honda S2000

Old 01-23-2005, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Infiniti G35 or Honda S2000

Okay, I'm about to purchase a new car in a couple of months and I'm stuck between the G35 and the S2000. I know there are some of you who have bought the S2000 over the G35 and vice versa for various reasons. As far as pricing goes the G35 is a few hundred more then the S2000 according to their site MSRP's. So, what made you guys choose the S2000 over the G35.

- Don't forget that the newer model G35's now come with more hp & tq then that of the older models. I've been doing a lot of research on the S2000 and I love the car but, personally, I think its falling behind fast.

-Mitsubishi EVO MR Edition
-Subaru STi
-BMW Z4
-Nissan 350Z
-Infiniti G35
G35 Coupe 6MT
Base MSRP $33,150.00
298hp 3.5-liter DOHC V6 engine
6-speed manual transmission
Includes Sport-tuned Suspension Package
Dual mass flywheel
-BMW 3 Series

I'm not talking down on the S, infact, I think it is a great car. But realisically speaking, these cars are "almost" in the same price range, give or take a few thousand here and there.

And of course there are those of you who will ask the infamous question, "What do you want to do with your car?" Well, I'm almost 22 getting out of the Navy and will be pursuing a part time job as a real estate appraiser while I go to school to finish my degree. I'll be doing a lot of daily driving and I'll be attending some road race schools when I get out of the Navy. Each stated car from the above can be modded, some are more expensive then others but can still be done. I'm the type that does what I can in my garage before taking it to the mechanics. After all I am a aircraft power plant mechanic, LOL. I'm not afraid of working either of those platform of cars.

I've driven both the S2000 and the G35 and they are both magnificent machines. Obiviously the G35 is a bit heavier but is compensated with the extra ummpph in the engine. The S2000 handles really nice but falls short on the low end. Interior and comfort wise the G35 definitely takes the point.

It all comes down to the reliability issue. There are those who have had problems with the S and those with the G. I myself have researched both cars and read numerous Technical Service Bulletins on both cars. I once read that the G35 transmission was grinding at 10K, tire feathering do to alignment, and trunk latch problems. That was about a year ago, don't know about now. At the same time, I'm reading about how the S2000's LSD isn't holding up to it's potential and the insane oil consumption during "spirited driving."

Being that this is S2Ki, I know that this is already going to be somewhat one sided. Then again I've noticed that the members here are much more mature then on other forums. Well, I have to get ready for work. I just want to thank anyone of you who wants to write their opinion.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:03 AM

as a real estate appraiser, what kind of equipment do you have to carry around with you, if any?? the s2k has virtually no trunk space, and although the trunk space of the g35c is not all that impressive either, you still have the back seat area if and when you need to carry stuff around. my impression from your post is that you are already leaning towards the g35, so i think that is what you should do. unless you're gonna have another car that you can use to haul stuff around, having an s2k as an only car is not the best idea, despite what many of the other members on here would tell you. i started out with an s2k as my only car, but shortly afterwards, i end up buying a larger second car cuz the s2k just couldn't haul around some of the stuff that i want/need to haul around.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get a s2000 for about 30,500ish, on a 05 g35 you probably wont get that close in invoice, so your looking atleast 3000 dif imo

gl,

Justin
Old 01-23-2005, 07:26 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad_Paradox,Jan 23 2005, 06:46 AM
I've been doing a lot of research on the S2000 and I love the car but, personally, I think its falling behind fast.

-Mitsubishi EVO MR Edition
-Subaru STi
-BMW Z4
-Nissan 350Z
-Infiniti G35
G35 Coupe 6MT
-BMW 3 Series
Of the listed cars which ones are under 2900 lbs?

In fact there's more to a car than HP. If HP was the thing, then a C6 is better than a 360 Modena. And GTO is better than a 997 S. Um OK

In fact of your listed cars, only the Z4 competes with the S2000 it's heavier and has less HP and costs more, so how is the S2000 falling behind fast? Boxster heavier, same HP and costs more. You see a pattern?

Could it use more HP? Yes
Could it use more TQ? Yes
Is it a dog b/c it doesn't have as much hp as the G35? no I believe it's just as fast as the G35.

So if you want most HP get a GTO have done with it. b/c the G35 is falling fast behind the GTO (400/400) GTO rules <sarcasm>
Old 01-23-2005, 07:31 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^what he said^
Old 01-23-2005, 07:44 AM

ive driven both cars and for a daily driver id take the g35. while the s is more fun on those certain days with the top down, hitting vtech, i feel the g35 would make a more satisfiable all around experience
Old 01-23-2005, 07:54 AM

the S2000 can only haul 1 passenger.

are u ready to take that risk? simple .

Old 01-23-2005, 08:01 AM

Hm, one's a luxury 5 seater, the other is a roadster... I think you shouldnt' compare performance difference, but rather, practicality. If you need a daily driver, then I would advise you to get a g35 (or Accord v6).

And you're 22? I'm 21, and when I researched into getting a used S, the insurance for me living in San Francisco is $1600/6 months with no DMV points and w/ the 20% good student discount! I'm not suer about the g35 since it is an expensive car, but for comparative reasons, the 350z coupe was $1300/6months (the Mazdaspeed was also $1600/6months, so it has to do w/ the fact it is a convertible). IMO, unless you have money now, get the sedan g35, and wait for the s2000 (or any other sports car).

Here's my advice: Get an Accord, and wait til you are 25, cuz that's the "cut-off" for insurance in terms of what they call "immature driver age" I think, before getting an S2000. But, if you have the money now, then get the g35 instead of the Accord. I'd still wait for the s2000 (or any othe roadster).

EDUCATION= #1 concern! HS dropout: <$20k/year. High school graduate: $25k/year. College graudate: $50k/year. Doctor: $125k/year. I dunno what your education plans are, but the longer you stay in school, the more money you'll make (obviously). One of my friends is a high school dropout; he works 80 hours a week (full time at two jobs), and he can't even pay off his 1991 miata, in addition to some other debts! He complains that he can't afford school, but I said to him, "you can't afford anything OTHER than that Miata if you don't go to school!"
Old 01-23-2005, 08:06 AM

g35 is aiight but the s2shizlle is da rizzle dizzle..be a Tru playa and drop it like its hot..
Old 01-23-2005, 08:10 AM

wtf? whats up with the wiggers these days?

now back to your question, you can't really compare the cars. the s2000 is a raw sportscar, the 35 is a cruiser. You will have more fun in the s2000. The 35 will be more practical. Take your pick, but its hard to truly compare the two vehicles.

Quick Reply: Infiniti G35 or Honda S2000