Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

im trying to purchase the bike

Old 12-13-2007, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sahtt,Dec 13 2007, 07:45 PM
There is nothing quite like the rush you get from watching a newb highside his new supersport and get taken away in a helicopter. It never gets old, although the cops seem to act like it happens all the time, no idea why though.
I know you're not social since you've never seemed to come to any Austin-area bike or car gtg's, but are you really that much of an ass?

I feel horrible whenever I see someone taken away in an ambulance or copter, regardless of whether or not they deserved it.

BTW, I started on a Honda SuperHawk, and bought a '99 ZX9R about 6 months later. Despite the odds against me, I've never crashed on the street, and got pretty fast @ track days and off-road racing. Admittedly, I didn't know better w/ respect to my first 2 bike choices, and advise others to start much smaller. My learning curve advanced quite a bit when I started getting time on smaller bikes.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris S, I'm not an ass but I do joke around a lot. You must be shocked a lot taking everything people say literally. I'm usually too nice. Everything I post has some truth to it, but it's not necessarily supposed to be taken word for word. Do I really like watching people crash and get hurt? Of course not, note how much time I spend trying to get newbs to not hurt themselves. Who wrote the start small sticky in this very forum? Actions speak louder than words. The first sentence of that last post is more or less word for word true, it's not supposed to be insulting. The later is just a crude way of getting a point across.

You know I'm not social? Pretty bold claim. I'm usually trying to be less social so I can get the $hit I need to get done done. I do typically avoid bike "gtg's" because unfortunately about 10-30% of people on sport bikes have absolutely no business doing so. I go to car gtg's every once in a while if they are going on a good drive, but usually it's a congested, police action provoking crowd I don't want to be with.

A couple friends that I ride with on occasion always want to go on group rides, I finally went on one a month or so back and a poor kid on a new R6 was literally taken away in a helicopter after going through a turn too hot and hitting the brakes mid-turn. I've seen the guy since and he seems ok, thank God.

I'm no saint either. I started in a 00 yzf600r, not necessarily a bike you'll see me suggesting to other brand new riders. Since I've done 50k+ miles on all sorts of bikes, up to 1200+cc's. I haven't gone down yet either.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:01 PM

sorry, I usually expect to see smilies when you don't mean what you say....

And yes, your sticky was very well-written.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by sahtt,Dec 13 2007, 08:45 PM
I wish I could get all these guys who more or less started on liter bikes [say less than 3-4k miles and a year of riding experience on smaller bikes] and watch them take some corners. There is nothing quite like the rush you get from watching a newb highside his new supersport
I think this is hilarious as well. It's funny to see people who can't be bothered with a lesser bike take corners the slowest in the pack.

You don't look cool when you look scared riding.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to get back to the op question.......kawasaki released a new ninja 250 that looks like the supersport bikes, this should serve all your needs .looks good drives great low seat height and low price. http://www.kawasaki.com/products/Detail.aspx?id=263
Old 03-09-2008, 12:49 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by driftintherain,Nov 26 2007, 04:04 PM
what is good bike to start with??
i was sitting on r6 at the dealer and i could not touch the floor
what bike has low seat height?
SV650

Why anyone new to motorcyling would spend many thousands of dollars more on something they will almost certainly enjoy less is beyond me.

Current sportbikes are fantastic bikes, but they are ergonomic disasters for street riding. If seat height is a concern, forget any current hardcore sportbike. The SV650 is a much more usable bike, and is a helluva lot cheaper. They make for great track bikes, too.