Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

im sorry, but how does Ford have the BALLS?

Old 03-09-2005, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my local dealer gave me a call a couple months ago and said "we got one come on over and take it home"

i was like "sure"

i got all excited. took a shower, got all GQ. wore my rolex even. then hwhen i sat in the car he said....."ok ok i know the sticker is at $180,000 BUT there is a little mark up"

i was like well crap, i could go as high as 200,000 for it.

he laughed and said they would not let it go for any less than $300,000

i got out of the car and said "not for a ford".

i like the car but not that much.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by eyescream,Mar 9 2005, 08:47 AM
also the Saleen S7
I'm not sure what you mean by saying that the S7 has a "truck engine." Do you consider every V8 a "truck engine"?

The Saleen S7's 7.0l V8 is unique to the the S7 and designed from the oil pan to the block to the valve cover entirely by Saleen.

Andrew
Old 03-09-2005, 05:31 AM

How does Ford have the "balls"?

I think the fact that all the GTs are spoken for means Ford had plenty of logical "balls" to ask that price. Demand for it has been nothing short of unquenchable.

If I had the cash I would pay that for a GT. It compares VERY well to cars that cost far more than it, and its a piece of neo-history, based on a great 4-year run at Le Mans almost 40 years ago.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:59 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by ruexp67,Mar 8 2005, 07:46 PM
Interesting numbers.

Can anyone even remotely verify those top numbers? 10s quarter mile in a S/S Barracuda or Hemi Dart? Even with 700 hp, on street tires from those days, those cars are nowhere near 10s. Impossible with how heavy they were. The Enzo weighs less and has 200hp more and it's barely in the 10s range (and I don't even think Motor Trend got it to go that fast - the one I saw had an 11 flat 1/4 mile).

Regardless, anyone see a major problem here? My Dad used to drive muscle cars and I don't ever remember him mentioning that these things were that fast.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:10 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The link quotes magazine speeds. It's VERY possible that the magazines at the time were, less than honest with their runs. Or more accuratly, they got "tweaked" versions from the manufactures.

Look at the Enzo's trap speed. It is WAY higher than the Cuda or the Dart. That tells me that the Enzo is geared WAY WAY taller than the others. That would explain the 1/4 time. I am inferrring of course, 60' times would be a better indicator.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by quickysrt,Mar 9 2005, 06:10 AM
he laughed and said they would not let it go for any less than $300,000

Yeah, car dealers are my favorite people too.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Mar 9 2005, 08:59 AM
Interesting numbers.

Can anyone even remotely verify those top numbers? 10s quarter mile in a S/S Barracuda or Hemi Dart? Even with 700 hp, on street tires from those days, those cars are nowhere near 10s. Impossible with how heavy they were. The Enzo weighs less and has 200hp more and it's barely in the 10s range (and I don't even think Motor Trend got it to go that fast - the one I saw had an 11 flat 1/4 mile).

Regardless, anyone see a major problem here? My Dad used to drive muscle cars and I don't ever remember him mentioning that these things were that fast.
those cars were not street cars, they were special production race cars. They weighed under 3200 lbs. Dodge muscle cars have always been lighter than their rivals, and at the time, the Ford Galaxy was the heaviest by a few hundred pounds, at around 3500 lbs. These cars were specifically designed to run the quarter mile. I'm not saying the times quoted are correct, merely that they are not what you are thinking - a regular production car was not nearly as fast as those cars. They were distributed to professional drag racers only. The Ford Thunderbolt was designed to meet new rules that rendered their Galaxy chassis too heavy to compete. Ford put together a special lightweight version of the Fairlane. You couldn't even fit a regular 289/302 in a production Fairlane engine bay without cutting out the shock towers and moving them farther apart - not a simple bolt-in affair.

These cars had aluminum body panels, no interior, and were specifically constructed for NHRA. The Mopar cars had Plexiglas windows instead of glass, for instance. I don't think they even rolled down. You would never have seen one on the street cruising. A couple hundred of each were made, tops.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If the car drives and handles anything remotely like it does in GT4 I will own one someday.

Bone stock without even intake; I honestly can't get enough of it. 1st gear to 70 and torque for days.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by autechre,Mar 8 2005, 08:24 PM
There is so much more to a car than just its numbers.
Do you guys remeber a car caller the Consulier (sp)? The designer was an engineer who really knew his stuff. The car was fast and relatively inexpensive. The one problem was it was butt-ugly - it looked like it was designed by the same guy who designed the UPS trucks. That car could run rings around anything costing 2-3X but Istill didn't want one.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:53 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by no_really,Mar 9 2005, 11:18 AM
those cars were not street cars, they were special production race cars. They weighed under 3200 lbs. Dodge muscle cars have always been lighter than their rivals, and at the time, the Ford Galaxy was the heaviest by a few hundred pounds, at around 3500 lbs. These cars were specifically designed to run the quarter mile. I'm not saying the times quoted are correct, merely that they are not what you are thinking - a regular production car was not nearly as fast as those cars. They were distributed to professional drag racers only. The Ford Thunderbolt was designed to meet new rules that rendered their Galaxy chassis too heavy to compete. Ford put together a special lightweight version of the Fairlane. You couldn't even fit a regular 289/302 in a production Fairlane engine bay without cutting out the shock towers and moving them farther apart - not a simple bolt-in affair.

These cars had aluminum body panels, no interior, and were specifically constructed for NHRA. The Mopar cars had Plexiglas windows instead of glass, for instance. I don't think they even rolled down. You would never have seen one on the street cruising. A couple hundred of each were made, tops.
So they weren't production street cars? That's about what I was getting at.

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: im sorry, but how does Ford have the BALLS?