Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I'm about an inch away from an '03 GSX 1000R. Somebody talk me out of it...

Old 08-06-2003, 04:13 PM
pfb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been riding for 25 years, but this would be my first all-out sport bike. Primarily for canyon carving, and possibly to take to the track occasionaly as my speed-buzz from tracking the S2000 has more or less worn off.

Everything I've read just gushes over the bike, and the idea of getting that level of performance out of the box for about $10K appeals to me. It sounds like a competent bike off track, as well as on. Certainly not something I'd want to commute on, however.

So? **WAY** to much bike for a very experienced rider, but not sport-bike rider?

Buy a KTM 450EXC to replace the DRZ and a supercharger instead?

MSRP is $10,500 + freight + build. What would be an aggressive out-the-door *before* tax price?

My current bikes are:
Suzuki DRZ 400E
Kawasaki KLR650
BMW R1100GS
...and my four-wheeled motorcycle, S2000.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:32 AM

Okay maybe I will talk you out of it...

First off GSXR1000 is a awesome machine...gobs of power...but

I would go with a new 600 if I were you...still have plenty of power and it probably will make you a better rider in the long run...a little more forgiving when you screw up in those twisties

I went from a enduro last year and bought a 954...I love the bike, but I can't see the need for all the power...I have been racing this year an SV650 and I love it...because the bike is slower it makes you use a faster entrance and corner speed to keep up...I have learned so much on this bike and actually bought another one to ride on the street...I don't know about your area, but if you ever want to race the GSXR1000 it does not have that many classes like the smaller bikes...

I'd go for a new 600, but I have no idea of which one they all are freakin dope...
Old 08-07-2003, 04:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pfb, you seem pretty responsible, so I'm sure you could handle a GSXR1000. It's actually a pretty easy bike to ride, w/ no real bad habits other than tempting their riders w/ a wretched excess of power.

I've prob. never had more fun on a sport bike, and couldn't help but think about buying one after my ride. But...I thought it was inevitable that I'd get in trouble either physically or w/ the law w/ that machine. My highest performing bike so far has been an R1, and the GSXR1000 is amazingly in a higher league.

Just think about whether you need and will use all that performance. Quite honestly, the main reason I'd want a GSXR1000 over other sportbikes is the insane ability to do power wheelies at almost any speed...if that's not important to you, consider the 954 (more agile, more comfy, trunk, Honda quality, still plenty fast) or GSXR750 (plenty fast, better handling, lower ins. rates, longer rear tire life, less highside potential, prob. the best street/track compromise).

I love the new 600's, but I prefer them for the track. I'm not a big fan of 600 powerbands on the street. 1000's, OTOH, are too much for most to fully exploit for most tracks unless you're an expert on race rubber.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:16 AM
Banned

I love my 1000 but, if your not a *n nut you might want the 954 which is a great bike, it's just not that fast relatively speaking.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:52 AM

There is an 02 954 w/ 1,800 miles for sale for $ 7000 next door...amazing! Someone better jump right on this one. It is beautiful!

Oh, you want to be talked out of it? It is fast, maybe too fast. That's all I have to say about that....take this from a 141+rwhp R1 owner.....

Angel
Old 08-07-2003, 07:15 AM

Well I can't talk you out of it.
I have been thinking about it too.
I really want a GSXR1k.
Only two things keep me from getting one.
1. The wife
2. I have seen pics of what the 04 R1 might look like
I don't care for the Busa headlight and I don't like the colors they come in, but that wouldn't stop me.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by funcar
[B]Well I can't talk you out of it.
I have been thinking about it too.
I really want a GSXR1k.
Only two
Old 08-07-2003, 08:43 AM

I may as well toss another opinion in.

Looking at who is buying GSXR1000's, you would seem much more responsible and prepared to ride one than most. Is it too much bike for you? Of course. It's too much bike for nearly everyone. It can generate more power than you can reasonably control at just about any speed. But it's not that hard to control where you are in the powerband or how much throttle you are giving it. You're going to want to be very careful about finding it's limits.

You're probably better off with a GSXR750. If you get a 1000, you should make your new motto: "Power corrupts".
Old 08-07-2003, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by MACH5GSXR
I love my 1000 but, if your not a *n nut you might want the 954 which is a great bike, it's just not that fast relatively speaking.
You love it but you wanted a recall last week.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=139298

Old 08-07-2003, 09:21 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hmmm... GSXR-1000...

Would you enjoy being able to loft the front tire at 100mph? That's a good way, IMO, of thinking about the difference between the GSXR-1000 and all the other bikes out there.
If that's your thing, get it. It's probably not something you'll be doing much at the track and in the canyons.
Certainly there are plenty other good aspects to the bike, of course. But those can be found in other bikes too, for less money and less risk of highsides. Perhaps a CBR600RR? Good track bikes, from what I've heard.

Quick Reply: I'm about an inch away from an '03 GSX 1000R. Somebody talk me out of it...