Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I'll take the one in Gulf racing color scheme...

Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

All I know is, you weren't one of 'em, Nunco.

I do contradict you a lot because you are often factually wrong. In discussions of subjective topics, I have no issues but when you're trying to be "factual" or contradictory and there is data to suggest you are incorrect, I will absolutely correct you (or anyone else).

I have no problem being called a fanboi. I do like some Honda vehicles. I also like a lot of other vehicles. Just not the 2003 Mustang GT.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Somebody should paint their S Gulf Racing colors.... Any takers??
Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want one.....
Old 01-20-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Suspension breakage issues aside?
And the Ferrari F458 caught fire... but that is actually outside of the context that I was referring.

I understand you were trying to get a bit of a jab in there (well played) but really what I'm talking about is the target market and design. Compare the GT to say the Mercedes-McLarren SLR. The SLR just didn't capture the market the way the GT did. The SLR wasn't faster, didn't look "right" nor did it really serve as a great halo car. Sure, these low volume cars end up with problems from time to time. I mean Ford likely made more test Foci and Fusions than it made GT ever. But the great thing about the GT was it seemed to capture the spirit Ford was after. It, like the GT-40 said, we can take our production V8 and turn it into a monster. We can put that monster into a chassis that was done right and end up with a world beating car. The GT-40 was just that. The GT was the modern embodiment of that car.

What was the SLR? It wasn't a very good embodiment of the old Gullwing racers. It didn't seem to say it was the dominant sports car. It just seemed to be Mercedes spending money to make an expensive but not stand out car. That's why I say the Ford was right.

Ford also killed the car after only a few years when it was still near the top of the performance ladder. Yes, it was never at the top but it was way up there and at the time it was beating things that were same price or cheaper. Lets compare that to the NSX. The NSX was an incredible car but it was left around far too long. We all still loved it in 2005 but really, performance that put others on notice in 1989 didn't seem that impressive in 2005. The car was basically obsolete when it was taken off the market. Imagine if, instead the car had been taken off the market in 1995 when it was still the most impressive thing to come out of Japan and honestly more impressive that what Europe and the US was producing as well. Honda had a great design but they should have taken it off the shelf when it was still fresh just as they were doing with the Civic and Accord (just when the competition caught the Civic a new one hit the market!).

So that is why I think Ford did the GT right. The marketing and targets were right. The lifespan was right. The emotions it captured were right. Ford might be unhappy about a few snafus but years from now people will remember it was an impressive car that recaptured the looks and impressions of the old GT-40 just right.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:42 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

I think the fact that Ford didn't let it die on the vine will be part of the reason that the GT will always be a special car that will always have some type of following. When I see Lambos and Ferraris I always think that they are neat but they're like Apple products, inevitably replaced by the next generation of the same product from the same company, whereas the GT came, went, and left a lasting impression in the process.

In other words, despite the awesomeness of a Ferrari 360, for example, if you buy one you're just buying an older and slower version of what they currently have. If you buy a Ford GT, it's awesomeness is frozen in time.

I know that's very subjective but I consider that to be an accurate statement.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:07 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Agreed with you both. As rockville said, I was being a smartass rather than actually dissing the car. It's a great machine, overall, and the fact that they did make it "special" by limiting it so quickly was a great marketing move. It's also very close in looks to the original, which makes it a great homage. I'd take a GT over a Ferrari 360 any day of the week....