Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

if you were going to buy a convert what would you get?

Old 01-28-2004, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On second thought, even if they aren't small a 996TT cabrio. With the top down headroom won't be a problem and if the leg room is cramped so what!! They're kids, you don't want to make them too comfortable or they may still be there when they are 30!
-Glen
Old 01-28-2004, 11:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ha. Have you tried to squeeze into the back of your TT doc?

I've managed to get 5'4" folks in back, but they did not look comfortable. Amazing what people will suffer through for a ride.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:58 AM

Saab 9-3 Convert
Old 01-28-2004, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by BBY2KS2K
Mitsubishi Eclipse, test drove a 03. Not 100% sold on the styling, but it's reasonably powerful, priced and comfortable. The Chrysler Sebring is pretty nice too, if I'm not mistaken the Eclipse and Sebring share the same mechanical guts. I rented a Sebring a couple of years ago in Hawaii and like it for the same reasons as the Eclipse. If you wan't to go classic, how 'bout a 59' El Dorado? I think it will seat about 40.

My GF had an '02 Eclipse Spyder for a few months then traded it in because it was just horrible. The build quality was horrendous and the power was just so lacking it was ridiculous. The interior was ugly as hell imo as well. My only suggestion would be STAY AWAY FROM THE ECLIPSE SPYDER! That car really put a bad taste in my mouth for all Mitsubishis.

For a practical, well built car, I'd check out the Solara Convertible.....What price range were you looking in.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad has a Solara convertible, and my mom has a 330i convertible, both of which I've driven quite a bit.

The Solara is very comfortable, is reasonably quiet with the top up, rides well, has adequate but not inspiring power in V6 form, and has decent features. There's plenty of space in the back. It has no rollover protection other than the windshield, which is a little scary. It is decidedly more a comfy top-down cruiser than any sort of sports car. It handles more or less like a small boat. As with most Toyotas, the Solara convertible is a great value.

The 330i convertible is gorgeous, powerful and fun to drive, with tons of features. The back seat is cramped. It is a very safe car, with stability control, traction control and rollover protection. There's minimal body roll, and the car just feels planted-- it loves being taken into turns. It feels more like a sports car than a beach cruiser. It's expensive as hell, but it looks and feels like a million bucks.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:22 PM

wow, you guys have lots of great ideas!!
of the above, her preference seems to be the bmw, and maybe the saab...
the lexus is not a bad idea- hardtop convert would be pretty practical for her.
and the vw would be a lot of fun.
thx for the tips on the eclipse too- will stay away from that one. and sebring is a nice bigger car...
hey, that idea about a classic older car sounds good too!
i know most of the cars suggested except the saab- have seen the ads for the new convertible but dont know anything about it.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:52 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned it, but if it's for the Mrs., I would take a look at the CLK cabrio (either 320 or 500) if it's in your price range. It's a bit more than the 330, A4, or 9-3, but for the Mrs., I think it's a classy ride. It may also be roomier in the back seat than the aforementioned. Dunno for sure. Just guessing. I, personally, hate the looks of the SC430. I just think it's a real pig of a car. Also, the "back seats" really have no practicality whatsoever.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by wanabe
if you were buying a convertible that would hold 4, what would you get?
Old 01-28-2004, 12:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bjohnston
Surprised no one has mentioned it, but if it's for the Mrs., I would take a look at the CLK cabrio (either 320 or 500) if it's in your price range.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:59 PM

pretty funny joe!

Quick Reply: if you were going to buy a convert what would you get?