Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

If you repaint a car without stripping the car..

Old 04-23-2007, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up If you repaint a car without stripping the car..

Sorry to post such a difficult question, but my friend recently had his 92 NSX keyed. He's about to get it repainted, but I have my own concerns..

After repainting the car, do they bake the entire car with the interior STILL in it? Or as an option, can they not bake the car with the interior in it?

I mean, if the car was going to be stripped (which it is not), then no problem.. It's just going to be repainted without stripping..

I ask only because the heat of the oven tends to warp and accelerate damage of the interior if it gets too hot... The 92 NSX's interior is a bit "old" now and further heat could cause some damage.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:03 PM

they bake cars with the interior in them. When a car is baked the booth tempeture goes to about 140 degrees with 0% humidity, so the interior tempeture only get to about what it would get on a hot summer day in the sun. Oh and if he's that worried about it, he can tell the body shop to strip the interior. They'll charge him an arm and a leg (I'm guessing R&I time to completely strip an interior is about 20-30 hours) and probably won't do it anyways
Old 04-23-2007, 05:06 PM

I could be wrong but I don't think that they bake the car at a high enough temperature to do damage. It shouldn't be worse than a warm sunny day with the windows closed, inside car temps can reach 140+ degrees.

If they use too much heat or too high a temperature you quickly cure the outside layers of paint and not the inside layers or the metal which is important. Which could lead to flaking or peeling. Usually 70 degrees and 50% relative humidity is sufficient for paint to cure.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:37 PM

They won't even bake it. They jus tuse base clear and that's it. It won't even make into an oven.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:28 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Yeah, depending on the shop they won't bake it, most paints these days set in a matter of a couple hours, fully dries to the point it can be handled in under a day (depending on paint type of course). But if they do bake it, the heat really isn't all that hot and not for long either. To be honest, I'd be more worried about the shop leaving the windows open when the car is in the shop because all that wonderful sanded body filler, paint, etc all floats right into your interior... but I digress. But odds are when your friend gets your car back, SOMETHING will be "wrong" because there's always something "wrong." Then again, he just might be that discerning, meticulous, and knows his car that well...
Old 04-24-2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Apr 23 2007, 07:28 PM
Yeah, depending on the shop they won't bake it, most paints these days set in a matter of a couple hours, fully dries to the point it can be handled in under a day (depending on paint type of course). But if they do bake it, the heat really isn't all that hot and not for long either. To be honest, I'd be more worried about the shop leaving the windows open when the car is in the shop because all that wonderful sanded body filler, paint, etc all floats right into your interior... but I digress. But odds are when your friend gets your car back, SOMETHING will be "wrong" because there's always something "wrong." Then again, he just might be that discerning, meticulous, and knows his car that well...
excellent input everyone. thanks a billion.

In regards to something being wrong, i agree. . nothing like OEM factory finish where everything is perfect as it should be..
Old 04-24-2007, 12:40 PM

Everyone is right, they will just spray it and push it out the door and it will never see the booth for baking. And almost every car that is baked is done with the interior in it.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Nothing beats the factory finish, but these days most people can't tell the difference.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My last paint job was done in 99 with the 'full' interior in place. It was baked in the booth. no damage. doesn't get hot enough.