Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

If you own or have driven an Mercedes SL500

Old 11-27-2005, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up If you own or have driven an Mercedes SL500

My dad just bought a brand new Mercedes SL 500 coming from an 02 corvette. He feels that he is very dissapointed by the ride of the car. He did not test drive it at all like I told him too. Anyways, he thinks that the ride is kinda rough and he wanted my opinion. Coming from a ZO6 of my own, my thoughts were that the car rides smooth, but you can really feel the road with the steering wheel. He feels as if it is out of balance. But the wheel does not shake, I just can feel the road very well like the vette. What is your take on this? Is this normal for this car or not. I would assume it is since it is on 18's and z rated tires. Please advise? He feels like he wasted 100g's on the car and I want to help him enjoy it.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 11-27-2005, 03:28 PM

My Mom has an SL500, and I got the chance to drive it in September while visiting.

She wasn't sure about the car at first herself, having driven larger, longer-wheelbased Jaguars and Cadillacs most of her life. In comparison, the SL is understandably rougher, stiffer and noisier.

But after a short period of time, she absolultely LOVES the car, and she's 70!

My opinion was the car is a work of art, especially that retractable hard top. However, it creaks and rattles over bumps, which neither I nor my mother can understand considering the large $$ investment.

I love the car, am always begging her to let me drive it, IMO it is both beautiful to look at and to drive.

This being said, however, a friend of mine who runs an European specialty shop, says most M-B owners have a love/hate relationship with their cars. It is NOT unusual to have a M-B with NUMEROUS issues. So if your Dad thinks something is wrong, I strongly suggest he take it in and complain about it.

But IMO most likely what he needs to adjust to is the smaller wheelbase, which makes everything (in comparison to the Corvette) seems stiffer and rougher.

Good luck, I hope he keeps it!!

Cheers,
Diane

Old 11-27-2005, 03:51 PM

My opinion was the car is a work of art, especially that retractable hard top. However, it creaks and rattles over bumps, which neither I nor my mother can understand considering the large $$ investment.
Cars are rarely every investments...they're pretty much always a depreciating asset. While my seat time is limited in the SL500 I do spend a pretty fair amount of time in an SL55 and I find it difficult to believe that someone coming from a vette would knock the ride. The SL55 is a bit rougher than the 500 and but still better than that of the corvette. I love the SL55 and love the looks of the SL500 as well but it lacks the grunt needed to make it worth the pricetage IMO. The SL55 is a better value with the $20K price difference IMO. The SL is a beautiful car just wish they made it with a real tranny.l
Old 11-27-2005, 04:02 PM

Um, I didn't mean an investment in the literal sense! Just that for the money spent, we expected less rattles and hums!
Old 11-27-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by derryck,Nov 27 2005, 04:51 PM
Cars are rarely every investments...they're pretty much always a depreciating asset. While my seat time is limited in the SL500 I do spend a pretty fair amount of time in an SL55 and I find it difficult to believe that someone coming from a vette would knock the ride. The SL55 is a bit rougher than the 500 and but still better than that of the corvette. I love the SL55 and love the looks of the SL500 as well but it lacks the grunt needed to make it worth the pricetage IMO. The SL55 is a better value with the $20K price difference IMO. The SL is a beautiful car just wish they made it with a real tranny.l
He is not knocking it. Just thought that it would be a smoother ride than the vette. He basically should have test drove it. I was just wondering mainly if those that have driven it have noticed that you feel the road a lot in the wheel and if that is normal for the car?

Thanks,

Jon
Old 11-27-2005, 06:48 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably he would have been happier with a Caddy XLR. No joke. Save $20K and get C6-like package with a folding metal top with more lux/refinement nicer interior (what you're looking for with a step up from a Vette).

IMO it's insane to not test drive the options before you drop this kind of money. By test drive the options I mean ... Maser vert, SL500, XLR, BMW 6-series vert, and 911 cab.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from my experience, the sl500 is a very comfortable and confident inspiring car. it's amazingly simple to drive, and the car feels 500lbs lighter than it really is. it also has a very intuitive cockpit, and is very close to being the perfect everyday car. i've always told myself that if i was filthy rich, the sl500 or sl55 would be my daily driver of choice. it's got plenty of room for someone my size, an auto tranny for casual driving, a torquey motor, amazingly agile repsonses for a car that weight, as well as a retractable hardtop, and a top notch interior in terms of style, comfort, and functionality. i personally did not find the ride of the sl500 to be harsh at all, but i guess it really all boils down to personal standards and tollerance.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Nov 27 2005, 07:48 PM
Probably he would have been happier with a Caddy XLR. No joke. Save $20K and get C6-like package with a folding metal top with more lux/refinement nicer interior (what you're looking for with a step up from a Vette).

IMO it's insane to not test drive the options before you drop this kind of money. By test drive the options I mean ... Maser vert, SL500, XLR, BMW 6-series vert, and 911 cab.
Actually, he did drive the BMW 6 seriers vert and did not like it. He did not want a rag top. The XLR is, well lets just say its a caddy. Not saying that its bad. But I would stick with a new c6 ZO6 over the XLR. The 911 is not his cup of tea. As I said, he doesn't hate the car, he just thought that it would be a smoother ride. It is his fault for not driving it first. Anyways, thanks for your opinions people!

Jon
Old 11-28-2005, 04:55 AM

recent MBs are just breathtakingly gorgeous.. too bad though that MB quality has gone down the $hitters...
Old 11-28-2005, 05:57 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

The Vettes, especially with the base suspension are surprisingly smooth performers.

My overall favorite combo for the C5 was a buddy who had a modded supercharged 2001 C5 that made 460rwhp, but he had stock suspension and stock headers AND stock exhaust. It was very smooth and quiet, until he floored it and the roots blower kicked in. Damn, talk about Jeykel & Hyde.

Quick Reply: If you own or have driven an Mercedes SL500