Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

if you make $6000 per month after taxes..

Old 12-01-2009, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by k24accord,Nov 30 2009, 06:14 AM
could have sworn i saw this same thread last week
and the week before that
and the week before that

On an s2000 forum most people like s2000s
Just go and test drive cars and see which ones you like. My taste may not be your taste.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:29 AM

Let me tell you the story of a boy and a girl. The boy, out of college, made ~60k before taxes. He had his fun like someone suggested above, but was never in debt. He traveled, had his drunken nights out, ate well, and even bought himself a nice used s2000 and paid in cash.

The girl, out of college, had a good job as well, but over spent, landed in debt, and bought herself a brand new civic and financed. The boy and girl just bought a house. The boy forked up his life savings for the downpayment. The girl, well, she's still in debt so didn't really fork up much of anything. The moral of the story, have your fun, but don't go overboard to the point where you are at 4th down and 25 yards. You want to be 2nd down and 1 yard.

Also, another moral, find someone who saved and was smart with their money so that you can blow your cash on yourself.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ebbai,Nov 29 2009, 11:20 PM
and you make about $6000/month (after taxes),
That's it?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:29 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

When I looked on the main page and saw that st4rk was the last person to post, I knew exactly what I was going to read.

Get real, man. Making 100k a year is good money. It's not so good that you should feel like you are the next Donald trump, but it certainly is not bad.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Dec 1 2009, 11:29 AM
When I looked on the main page and saw that st4rk was the last person to post, I knew exactly what I was going to read.

Get real, man. Making 100k a year is good money. It's not so good that you should feel like you are the next Donald trump, but it certainly is not bad.
It's OK. This thread was never meant to be more than a mutual masturbation session.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:00 AM

Id get a jet pack

Old 12-01-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Dec 1 2009, 10:52 AM
It's OK. This thread was never meant to be more than a mutual masturbation session.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by ebbai,Nov 29 2009, 08:20 PM
let's say you are single and rent at a cheap place with a friend (roommate) and you make about $6000/month (after taxes), what car would you buy?

i will be graduating in May and i'm thinking about getting an M3, audi S5, or a cayman s...
i don't know if i can aim higher or not...need your opinions..
fyi,i've owned AP1, AP2, mazdaspeed3, and ep3

thanks
I bring in double that and my car is a Honda Fit. I paid it off in about 6 months.

Ok... Ill elaborate and not be passively aggressive. Don't get into the car BS trap. I've owned 15 cars in life (as I move into my upper 30') up to this point and they are BS. Throw all your money into a safe savings. I would have said the best investment is a house, but anyone whos bought one in the past 5 years would probably laugh you out of the room. I guess you learn that cars really arnt what most people think they are, most people really dont care and most car enthusiasts will tell you that your car sucks because its not their car. For the first time in my life, my main 2 cars are completely paid off and its gonna stay like that.

Dont get trapped into a car that you don't need.

Yes, I do own an S200 also but I only paid $17K for it and its my garage queen.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Hmm, since you haven't started your life yet, I'd say get something reasonable to reward yourself for all your hardwork, but not a 50K car right off the bat. But assess your life and lifestyle before getting into a huge payment. Remember, every dollar you spend today would've doubled every 7 years or so, so a 50K car today wil be 400K in 21 years (very very loose assumption based on historical market performance). Also, when you're at your job and are going through one of those really suicidal weeks, the looming high rent/mortgage and car note just adds to your fire, nothing like truly working at will. I dunno how you guys with kids do it.
Oh, and if you keep a balance on your credit card making that much dough, you're friggin retarded.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:28 PM

Homes prices in most parts of the country are at or near the bottom (at least that seems to be the consensus) and mortgage rates are at historic lows. Plus Obama is giving you some of my tax dollars in the form of a tax credit. So you can use cheap money to buy an asset that doesnt have much of anywhere to go except up in the long term and get a tax credit to boot. Or you can pay interest on a car loan to buy a new M3 that will be worth 50% of what you paid for it in 5 years and have lost all of its new car appeal leaving you wanting something better. This is a no brainer. As others mentioned, max out the 401(k) to lower your taxable income and put the rest of your cash towards a down payment on a house. People may not think your as "cool" because you don't have the flashy car, but you will be on the road to actually having money. Not appearing as such.

Quick Reply: if you make $6000 per month after taxes..