Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

if you make $6000 per month after taxes..

Old 12-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CKit,Dec 3 2009, 11:10 AM

The more financially secure I get, the less attention I want.

I'm not emotionally secure enough to drive a Fit though.

My daily driver is a beat up 2002 ford exploder. I could drive a Fit. I'm not scairt.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:37 AM

I'm w/ y'all. I'm not real happy in my current position, but it pays well. Though I'm not yet looking hard, I've got my ears open for other opportunities, and might consider a modest pay cut for a position which would get me excited every day &/or improve my work/life balance.

I'm pretty sure that when I'm on my death bed, I won't regret that I didn't spend more time at the office in pursuit of higher and higher salaries!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbehney,Dec 3 2009, 08:55 AM
I'm really beginning to think the OP isn't a real person but some sort of "Discussion about Life and Careers and Priorities Fairy." He or she has blessed us with this thread, which has been pretty interesting, and then silently disappeared, job well done.
Agreed. Interesting thread.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 AM

i'm the OP...i will be back..soon...
Old 12-03-2009, 11:15 AM

ohai
Old 12-03-2009, 11:24 AM

I think it can also be said that if you are a true car enthusiast and have to have one then go buy a $15K good condition S2000 for the garage. even 10 years later its still an awesome performer and still one of the funnest cars you can drive.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by kntrider,Dec 3 2009, 07:32 AM
Some of you kids are in store for a rude awakening!

I'm a newly promoted Sr. Consultant in one of the top 4 firms in the nation which has accounts with 70% of the Fortune 500 companies and I'm not at the highly desired 6 figure mark yet. Yes my friends and colleagues who have left to different companies and positions in the industry outside of consulting have landed that salary just for having the experience we have but I'm not ready to make that jump, especially in this market.

And prior to consulting I was at IBM out of school the biggest tech powerhouse around and did not land 6 figures their.

Either get more realistic regarding the real world or get ready to be depressed!

Oh and grad school is not the answer, I participate in interviewing and hiring resources at the firm and at the clients site and the last thing anyone of us wants to see are kids with MBA's without any experience because they don't and can't survive unless they're from Ivy league schools and than their sought after.
KNT - what do you consider big 3/4? McK/BCG/Bain?

From personal exp, starting salaries classmates I graduated with in 2008 that went to BCG/Bain were in the 60's - far short of 100k. The "only" somewhat non-near impossible route to make 100K + coming out w/ any sort of business major is to go IBank/PE etc. route. Bulge IB paid roughly 60k base + bonus. If you went boutique IB route, salaries in my current location were aroung 50-60 depending on firm size with oft smaller bonus opps than bulge, but still total target comp of 80-100 first year out.

Consulting firms pay well out of school, but not 100k well. I work at a big consulting firm and it seems like it takes about 4 years to make around 100k.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Dec 3 2009, 09:17 AM
I think you also over exagerate. My wife as just a normal nurse manager (dime a dozen) with an RN (2 years college and 2 years nursing school) makes 6 figures now and I surly dont live in an expensive part of the US.
I don't think healthcare applies here (especially if you're considering 80 hr weeks like these consulting/engineering jobs). I know respiratory therapists who graduated from a 2yr (just straight up 2 years, no prereqs at a college) who made ~150K+ first years, lots and lots of OT.

And who says graduate school doesnt pay?

http://gaswork.com/search/CRNA/Job/All

But like all good things it must come to an end. The market is slowly getting saturated even for healthcare, and who knows whats going to happen with healthcare reform...
Old 12-03-2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by atls2ki1,Dec 3 2009, 04:54 PM
KNT - what do you consider big 3/4? McK/BCG/Bain?

From personal exp, starting salaries classmates I graduated with in 2008 that went to BCG/Bain were in the 60's - far short of 100k. The "only" somewhat non-near impossible route to make 100K + coming out w/ any sort of business major is to go IBank/PE etc. route. Bulge IB paid roughly 60k base + bonus. If you went boutique IB route, salaries in my current location were aroung 50-60 depending on firm size with oft smaller bonus opps than bulge, but still total target comp of 80-100 first year out.

Consulting firms pay well out of school, but not 100k well. I work at a big consulting firm and it seems like it takes about 4 years to make around 100k.
McK/BCG/Bain would be the upper echelon on the consulting world and it's unrealistic for people to think they can get in since all 3 of those companies have less than 10,000 consultants worldwide, heck Bain has less than 4,000 consultants. The consultants at these firms have the knowledge and know how to easily be VPs at majority of the industry jobs.

Realistic Big 4 that I'm referring to where most people without connections and an ivy leage education can get a job from being pretty smart and top of their class with some experience would be Deloitte, KPMG, E&Y, PWC. They might be the Big 4 auditors but they also have a strong consulting arm and have presence in any major corporation.

For majority of the people to assume they can get into McK/BCG/Bain is like expecting a Ferrari on a BMW budget, just saying, I tend to speak in realistically instead of la la land.

Just trying to help the youngins out and for those with expectations and ability to get into the upper echelon of consulting one day, more power to them, I haven't tried nor will, I'm burned out in consulting after 5 years and the hectic hours, unrealistic expectations, managing client and firm expectations, looking forward to jumping to industry once and if this market comes back up.

And in my general statement I was not including healthcare, those figures are all over the wall for nurses and techs and whoever else out their, not an expert in that field at all but they just watch out if and when their bubble bursts like it did with IT earlier this decade...everybody and their mamma is trying to take a 2 year course and what not to have a piece of the pie, lets see what happens in another 3-5 years if not less...
Old 12-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Healthcare "bubble" for mid-levels isn't going to burst anytime soon. Because they're still way cheaper than physicians. I think NP / PA is one of the best career paths out there.

Quick Reply: if you make $6000 per month after taxes..