Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

If you have to pick one, which would it be?

Old 09-27-2013, 10:06 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
With all the negative comments about German built cars on here lately I would not think twice: Lexus.
it's funny b.c most of them are from people that own very old german cars or never owned one...
Old 09-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

The only IS reviews I read said the 250 was slowwwwwwww (dated a couple years ago), but see raves about the new 350. Did the 250 get a power bump or can you stretch it a bit for a 350?

I don't like the grille so much, but it appears to be an excellent car.

I never looked at the Merc when I just purchased a new 3 series, but if it is close, consider the IS versus the Merc WITH European delivery. So much fun.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by berny2435
Lexus to drive past them Germans with reliability and actually get chicks to look at your ride
women look at lexus? since when? Id love a caddy or lexus if going to a dealership didnt mean walking into a geriatric ward
Old 09-27-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although the CLA 250 has a slight edge in the looks department, I'd choose the IS250 for Toyota's renowned reliability and longevity. I've heard too many stories of European cars and costly maintenance/electrical components failing.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
CLA looks good. Not sure about a FWD Mercedes though. Car and Driver says the transmission isn't so great. New styling of the IS looks awful to me. In short, BMW 3 series even though I think they are losing their edge.
The 3 Series doesn't compete with the CLA. BMW doesn't offer a car that does.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1380302078' post='22799832
CLA looks good. Not sure about a FWD Mercedes though. Car and Driver says the transmission isn't so great. New styling of the IS looks awful to me. In short, BMW 3 series even though I think they are losing their edge.
The 3 Series doesn't compete with the CLA. BMW doesn't offer a car that does.

Wow. Heresey! I bought the cheapie 328i and while I am a little disappointed by the handling and steering on my awd model, the engine, transmission and exterior styling beat it hands down. It performs much better with better mileage to boot. It is a tad pricier, but a 320i would match in price and perform about the same as the Benz if by not competing you were talking about price. Interior design is a matter of taste but the Benz probably has better interior materials quality. And the often revised iDrive has gone from industry joke to industry standard. And for an enthusiast rwd 3 > fwd CLA. Not saying the CLA is a bad car, but there are 3 series models in the same price range that do many things much better than the Benz.

For me, I did not drive a CLA because the reviews I saw described it as a solid feeling "Benz" like car with surprising performance for the engine output, but behind the ATS and 3 series. I just did not like the way it looked on the outside so I passed. Interior looks pretty high quality though.

As far as BMW losing their edge, they softened the suspension to broaden the appeal and the diehards are a bit upset. Have to see if that continues in the next model or reverses direction because the fanbase is a little restless. I kind of wonder if the ones most upset at the loss of sporty are the $30k millionaires on the subsidized leases and if the buyers spending the money want the softer ride. The are trying to sort it on the M3 and M4, we will see if trickles back down on the next model.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:34 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1380307593' post='22800089
[quote name='Marioshi' timestamp='1380302078' post='22799832']
.The 3 Series doesn't compete with the CLA. BMW doesn't offer a car that does

Wow. Heresey! I bought the cheapie 328i and while I am a little disappointed by the handling and steering on my awd model, the engine, transmission and exterior styling beat it hands down. It performs much better with better mileage to boot. It is a tad pricier, but a 320i would match in price and perform about the same as the Benz if by not competing you were talking about price. Interior design is a matter of taste but the Benz probably has better interior materials quality. And the often revised iDrive has gone from industry joke to industry standard. And for an enthusiast rwd 3 > fwd CLA. Not saying the CLA is a bad car, but there are 3 series models in the same price range that do many things much better than the Benz.

For me, I did not drive a CLA because the reviews I saw described it as a solid feeling "Benz" like car with surprising performance for the engine output, but behind the ATS and 3 series. I just did not like the way it looked on the outside so I passed. Interior looks pretty high quality though.

As far as BMW losing their edge, they softened the suspension to broaden the appeal and the diehards are a bit upset. Have to see if that continues in the next model or reverses direction because the fanbase is a little restless. I kind of wonder if the ones most upset at the loss of sporty are the $30k millionaires on the subsidized leases and if the buyers spending the money want the softer ride. The are trying to sort it on the M3 and M4, we will see if trickles back down on the next model.
[/quote]

I wasn't insulting BMW, just stating facts. The 3 series competes with the C class, in size and price. If BMW had a 1/2 series sedan that would compete with the CLA. But bottom line, they don't.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:48 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I wasn't insulting BMW, just stating facts. The 3 series competes with the C class, in size and price. If BMW had a 1/2 series sedan that would compete with the CLA. But bottom line, they don't.

No, I get you. I would say maybe the 1 series but I am not a fan. The car is a little bit too tight inside.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by berny2435' timestamp='1380212748' post='22797861

Lexus to drive past them Germans with reliability and actually get chicks to look at your ride
women look at lexus? since when? Id love a caddy or lexus if going to a dealership didnt mean walking into a geriatric ward
I know more women with IS250/350 Lexus than I do BMW and merc combined. Although they could afford a BMW or merc, they went with the better looking car they said. My girlfriend has never said, ohh, look at the BMW or Merc sedan. She has however said the IS350 looked really cool.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus IS.

Quick Reply: If you have to pick one, which would it be?