Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

If the S2000 never existed

Old 08-13-2011, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was kidding with the Miata comment.

That said I have no desire to own one based on it's looks and lack of power. I understand the appeal of a spec'd track whore and can appreciate its availability and overall concept.. It's the look that ruins it for me.

FWIW since sales figures were fought up the Z car is the best selling sports car to date (over 1.6M sold.. More than Corvette!). Perhaps that contributes to it's appeal.. Either way I'm on my fifth.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by rnye
I was kidding with the Miata comment.

That said I have no desire to own one based on it's looks and lack of power. I understand the appeal of a spec'd track whore and can appreciate its availability and overall concept.. It's the look that ruins it for me.

FWIW since sales figures were fought up the Z car is the best selling sports car to date (over 1.6M sold.. More than Corvette!). Perhaps that contributes to it's appeal.. Either way I'm on my fifth.
I think we both knew you weren't being entirely serious, and I understood you were messing around with me. However, our resident car talk fanboi had to chime in and that sort of ruined it.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:30 AM

Since I purchased my S2K in 2004...if S2K never existed...I think I would of kept my 00 Acura PY Type R for few more years and eventually buying a NSX.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:44 AM

Back in 2001, when I got my first S, I may have have gone for a used C4, but Likely I would have gotten nothing as a fun car, and waited for a 350Z. A Saturn Sky Redline would have been tempting later on. My whole initial idea was having a roadster back in the day. Top down is my key ingredient in a fun car. Who the hell really knows though?
The S2000 is what started this crazy new car purchasing frenzy I went on. It was my first new car I ever bought. I might have a lot of money in the bank if it never existed.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't seem many cars that look better than this.

I do agree that there are a lot of women that drive Miata's, but there are also a lot of guys who drive them. To me, a Miata is a less expensive version of an s2k. The new Miata's are as nice as s2k's IMO in every department other than the engine. If I had my way, I would have an s2k for the street, and a track built Miata. I strongly believe that the s2k is the better street car, and the Miata is the better track car.

I'll bet the Miata has logged more laps around racetracks in North America than any other Japanese car of any type.
I would be willing to bet that it is the most raced car period. I have never been to a track day where I was the only Miata driver. There are so many people who spec race them, auto-x, build beasts for fun and not for any specific class, ect. In stock for they are not that special IMO. They need at least some good suspension.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555

I do agree that there are a lot of women that drive Miata's, but there are also a lot of guys who drive them. To me, a Miata is a less expensive version of an s2k. The new Miata's are as nice as s2k's IMO in every department other than the engine. If I had my way, I would have an s2k for the street, and a track built Miata. I strongly believe that the s2k is the better street car, and the Miata is the better track car.

I'll bet the Miata has logged more laps around racetracks in North America than any other Japanese car of any type.
I would be willing to bet that it is the most raced car period. I have never been to a track day where I was the only Miata driver. There are so many people who spec race them, auto-x, build beasts for fun and not for any specific class, ect. In stock for they are not that special IMO. They need at least some good suspension.
I dont think that cars looks fast or expensive, it has a happy smile grill with the headlights facing upwards the lip is ugly as hell it just looks like an older couple car to drive on the weekend.

94NC your the fanboi, the miata fanboi. do you even own an s2ki? you dont even post unless its car talk. You stole this thread from miata forum anyways.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by woodburn
Originally Posted by luder_5555' timestamp='1313345971' post='20876748

I dont think that cars looks fast or expensive, it has a happy smile grill with the headlights facing upwards the lip is ugly as hell it just looks like an older couple car to drive on the weekend.

94NC your the fanboi, the miata fanboi. do you even own an s2ki? you dont even post unless its car talk. You stole this thread from miata forum anyways.
I've been lurking on S2ki for about 5 years now. I'd also wager that a lot of the people who post in car talk no longer own an S2k/never did. This is one of the best Car Talk forums out there, mainly because this one is still pretty active and 90% of the people aren't completely biased idiots. I'll refrain from putting you in that category because I've seen some decent posts from you. But you have a honda obsession, which isn't wrong, but you let it carry over to your opinions and because of that you comes across as a huge fanboi.

Also, my forum name is RC 94, modeled after ZX 10. Although his was referring to a motorcycle I thought it'd be fitting to carry his legacy. Were you around when ZX 10 was trolling Mr. EG in possibly every single thread? And I don't own "an s2ki" and I'd also wager that everyone on this site has never owned "an s2ki". Have you read what it says in the stickies in this forum? This is for Car Enthusiasts, that includes S2K owners AND Miata owners, and maybe (to your horror) domestic owners!
Old 08-15-2011, 05:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, a non-S2000 owning enthusiast w/ an open mind is a greater asset to this forum than an S2000 owner w/ a closed mind. I went about 4 years w/o an S2000, and don't see why my opinion would be any more or less valid b/c I own one or not. It's a great car, but not w/o faults. I also agree that the Miata is a better track car, that's from running my former NC and current S2000 back to back at the track.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

NSX
Old 08-15-2011, 11:49 AM

If the S2000 never existed, I probably would have replaced my old '02 Miata with a newer MazdaSpeed Miata... Eventually, I would probably upgrade to a NSX, though.

In fact, that was one of the top contenders on my list when I was shopping for a new car to replace my '01 S2000. Same with the newer NC Miatas. The Miata has improved greatly over the years. They went from a rattly underdog car in the 90's to a great sports car with the new NC's. They are usually priced very well too and come well equipped for much less than the price of a new S2000.

Quick Reply: If the S2000 never existed