Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

If a Honda is well taken care of, what "part(s)" eventually go out, normally?

Old 11-10-2013, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

250k for tranny is good. I've seen and heard a lot go out at 100k. We had one accord go at 100, another go at 200, and tl also around 100

My wives 07 civic had rear shock and starter done at 70k. That's it so far. Oh and 2 warranty claims for CD player and 1 wheel bearing....

My S had coils replaced by dealer under warranty so I am not even sure if they needed to be replaced....other then that no problems at 60k here
Old 11-10-2013, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 98 CRV EX 5 speed. it had 241K miles. I bought the car with 143K miles and still used the clutch. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the original clutch. Anyways the only "problem" i had with mine was the rear diff( at least i thought it was the rear diff). Whenever i made a turn at a certain angle or if it was really snowy outside or rainy and while turning would make a horrible clinking noise. Not sure what it was. Sold it before I got my hands around it. The B20 engine is pretty solid. My engine never burned and would change oil probably every 4k miles. Honestly, I miss that car tremendsouly. It did everything for me. Yea, it might of not been the prettiest, but it took me from point A to point B without problems. Other than my speakers blowing out, which i didn't mind at all, because I had plans to upgraded the stereo. I can't really speak about the 4 speed auto tranny. Make sure that you know that is either FWD or AWD. Even though the AWD would just kick in only in certain situations.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:20 AM

I have no experience with high mileage Hondas. But the parts listed by everyone so far are the usual suspects with any car. Rubber parts, ancillary systems like power steering and A/C. Cooling system, radiator & heater core. Engine seals. Timing belts & chains. None of that is a show stopper in my book. Even a transmission rebuild isn't that big a deal. What I've never heard about with Hondas are the big items, warped heads, crank bearings, cracked blocks, piston rods letting go.

But what about the electronics packages that make cars work these days, ECU & TCU? Are those prone to failure based on time and miles or not so much? What about emission control stuff? I'd imagine that goes around 150,000 miles just based on wear. These things can be costly to repair and could prevent you from being able to register the car even if it still runs.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:59 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Gigdy
Originally Posted by jkelley' timestamp='1383917436' post='22867751
[quote name='WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1383917047' post='22867747']
My Integra has 300k on it currently. Here's a list of major items I have had to replace:

-power steering pump
-steering rack and pinion
-shocks
-radiator (3 times)
-starter
-AC compressor
-interior blower fan
-brake master cylinder
-ABS pump
-CV joints (too many times to count)
-wheel bearing (just one)

Naturally the clutch, timing belt and water pump have been replaced as well, but I consider that regular maintenance. Suspension bushings are mostly shot as well, but that's normal. Ditto engine mounts. Engine and transmission still perform flawlessly, and neither has ever had any sort of work done.
I think most of these repairs are just swap-ins if I have the right set of tools, right? If that's the case, then I'm not that worried. I'll probably be getting a shop press in case I need to do wheel bearings or find a locat shop that will take the hub and press them in for me.

Out of your list, which was the most expensive repair?

And thanks for the list, very helpful!
What repair is not just a "swap in" with the right set of tools?
[/quote]

RUST. Pretty much any car (anything made out of steel) will eventually start to have rust problems. Particularly if people do not take care of them when there are early signs of it. Realistically cars are cars, the list's that people have offered here are the same things you will see as problems on any cars that are properly engineered. So I figured it bears mentioning that if someone wanted to keep any car going forever you can essentially just swap in new parts almost endlessly until the chassis these parts are connected to has major problems and then its not something for a normal set of tools to repair anymore.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by budgy
Originally Posted by Gigdy' timestamp='1383919341' post='22867796
[quote name='jkelley' timestamp='1383917436' post='22867751']
[quote name='WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1383917047' post='22867747']
My Integra has 300k on it currently. Here's a list of major items I have had to replace:

-power steering pump
-steering rack and pinion
-shocks
-radiator (3 times)
-starter
-AC compressor
-interior blower fan
-brake master cylinder
-ABS pump
-CV joints (too many times to count)
-wheel bearing (just one)

Naturally the clutch, timing belt and water pump have been replaced as well, but I consider that regular maintenance. Suspension bushings are mostly shot as well, but that's normal. Ditto engine mounts. Engine and transmission still perform flawlessly, and neither has ever had any sort of work done.
I think most of these repairs are just swap-ins if I have the right set of tools, right? If that's the case, then I'm not that worried. I'll probably be getting a shop press in case I need to do wheel bearings or find a locat shop that will take the hub and press them in for me.

Out of your list, which was the most expensive repair?

And thanks for the list, very helpful!
What repair is not just a "swap in" with the right set of tools?
[/quote]

RUST. Pretty much any car (anything made out of steel) will eventually start to have rust problems. Particularly if people do not take care of them when there are early signs of it. Realistically cars are cars, the list's that people have offered here are the same things you will see as problems on any cars that are properly engineered. So I figured it bears mentioning that if someone wanted to keep any car going forever you can essentially just swap in new parts almost endlessly until the chassis these parts are connected to has major problems and then its not something for a normal set of tools to repair anymore.
[/quote]

Along these lines, I saw a 1980's vintage Chevy Cavalier on the road the other day. Basically this.....

But in medium blue. Anyway, I was astounded. The thing looked to be in very good shape. No surface rust. Paint looked decent. All the trim bits were attached. No visible dents-n-dings. I just assumed these things had all been sent to the crusher long ago. I guess even a mediocre car can go for a couple of decades if properly cared for.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by jkelley
Good morning all,

I am starting to really enjoy working on cars, especially my S. But I've basically got it to 100% now and I have a bunch of brand new tools I'm itching to use
So I'm contemplating keeping the S in the garage on rainy days, especially in the winter because I HATEEEE DRIVING IT IN THE RAIN!
Not because I care about getting the S wet... I just don't like the RWD in the rain and the crap that flings off Columbia SC streets

Since I like working on my cars on weekends, I was thinking about maybe picking up a high mileage CRV on the cheaps because frankly I could sometimes use the cabin space for Home Depot trips .

But this led me to the question of "what exactly goes bad at 300k miles on Hondas?" I've heard a bunch of people say "Hondas will last for 300k easy if you take care of them" but what I'm asking is what exactly is the common denominator for them being "done" at around the 300k mark?

Bottom line, I'm considering picking up a 1999 Honda CRV that's very clean inside and out - but with 250k miles. It runs and shift well (AT) and no apparent bad noises. The guy is asking under $3k and if it lasts me 2 years and costs me $1,000 in parts over those 2 years, I wouldn't be unhappy. I'd be okay with that.

What are your thoughts?
I think there will be no problem yet when your car goes only 300k miles And since you've been giving so much care to it, I guess for a Honda Car, depreciation will not be that much of a worry This brand is really know also for reliability.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:33 AM
Former Moderator

Three members of our family took my 98 CRV over 200k. My cousin eventually sold it to someone outside the family but I'm sure it is still on the road today. It could go 4k on an oil change with very little drop on the dipstick. It's been through a couple of timing chains and water pump, an exhaust system, CV joints, shocks, wheel bearings, sway bar end links and a few other things i'm probably missing.