Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

If a Honda is well taken care of, what "part(s)" eventually go out, normally?

Old 11-08-2013, 04:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marthafokker
At 250k miles, auto tranny might be at the end of its life needing a rebuild soon.
Are there any specific signs of an automatic transmission that gives a good clue that it's "going out?"

I'm about to go look at a CRV with about 230k tonight or tomorrow. The guy has taken good care of it, only 1 owner, regular maintenance. So I'm hopeful
Old 11-08-2013, 04:24 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

My Integra has 300k on it currently. Here's a list of major items I have had to replace:

-power steering pump
-steering rack and pinion
-shocks
-radiator (3 times)
-starter
-AC compressor
-interior blower fan
-brake master cylinder
-ABS pump
-CV joints (too many times to count)
-wheel bearing (just one)

Naturally the clutch, timing belt and water pump have been replaced as well, but I consider that regular maintenance. Suspension bushings are mostly shot as well, but that's normal. Ditto engine mounts. Engine and transmission still perform flawlessly, and neither has ever had any sort of work done.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
My Integra has 300k on it currently. Here's a list of major items I have had to replace:

-power steering pump
-shocks
-radiator (3 times)
-starter
-AC compressor
-interior blower fan
-brake master cylinder
-ABS pump

Naturally the clutch, timing belt and water pump have been replaced as well, but I consider that regular maintenance. Suspension bushings are mostly shot as well, but that's normal. Ditto engine mounts. Engine and transmission still perform flawlessly, and neither has ever had any sort of work done.
I think most of these repairs are just swap-ins if I have the right set of tools, right? If that's the case, then I'm not that worried. I'll probably be getting a shop press in case I need to do wheel bearings or find a locat shop that will take the hub and press them in for me.

Out of your list, which was the most expensive repair?

And thanks for the list, very helpful!
Old 11-08-2013, 05:02 AM

Received 416 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by jkelley
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1383917047' post='22867747

-power steering pump
-shocks
-radiator (3 times)
-starter
-AC compressor
-interior blower fan
-brake master cylinder
-ABS pump

I think most of these repairs are just swap-ins if I have the right set of tools, right? If that's the case, then I'm not that worried. I'll probably be getting a shop press in case I need to do wheel bearings or find a locat shop that will take the hub and press them in for me.

What repair is not just a "swap in" with the right set of tools?
Old 11-08-2013, 05:03 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

The steering rack & pinion and pump, IIRC. About $1000 I think, but that work was done with a few other things at the same time, back in 2007. So the memory is a little hazy!

Glad I could help.

Good point Gigdy. Also jkelley, with older cars like this it's important to remember that the simplest of tasks could be completely scuttled by a frozen, snapped or rounded off bolt. I've run into that problem way too many times.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Gigdy
Originally Posted by jkelley' timestamp='1383917436' post='22867751
[quote name='WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1383917047' post='22867747']

-power steering pump
-shocks
-radiator (3 times)
-starter
-AC compressor
-interior blower fan
-brake master cylinder
-ABS pump

What repair is not just a "swap in" with the right set of tools?
[/quote]

True, sorry. I meant common handyman tools with the exceptions of a few automotive specific tools. I know that doesn't really specifiy anything but basically I don't have a shop lift, press, engine lift... that kind of stuff.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k

-power steering pump
-shocks
-radiator (3 times)
-starter
-AC compressor
-interior blower fan
-brake master cylinder
-ABS pump

That is one problem he has that you do not have to deal with. His target car has AT instead of manual. Manual tranny is so much cheaper to fix and last longer too.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by jkelley
Originally Posted by marthafokker' timestamp='1383891091' post='22867506
At 250k miles, auto tranny might be at the end of its life needing a rebuild soon.
Are there any specific signs of an automatic transmission that gives a good clue that it's "going out?"

I'm about to go look at a CRV with about 230k tonight or tomorrow. The guy has taken good care of it, only 1 owner, regular maintenance. So I'm hopeful
I have a friend that rebuilds tranny. He sees most tranny needing rebuild around 250k ballpark. Just like life, it is a crap shot. Sometimes you get lucky and it last longer and sometimes not. But 250k miles is just an estimate.

If it does not seem like it is slipping while you accelerate, to go through all the gears (to check the torque converter). Or if it is hesitating on certain gear (gear issues). Hopefully, it means you get some usage before something in there finally wears out.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
Yeah it has been said, suspension parts. Joints, bushings, springs, shocks. Every high mile Honda I have known has had worn suspensions, but suspension parts wear.

I have seen a couple abused Hondas make it to very high miles. My brother (a car moron) ran his brand new 1991 CRX HF Honda to 52,000 miles on the original oil. Over a quart low, and like mud. He was 18 and I checked the oil before he headed back to college and said "when is the last time you had this changed?" He said, "You need to change oil?"

He never did any fluid changes besides oil after that, sold it at 150,000 miles still no trouble. Don't know how it worked out for the next guy.

wow amazing story
Old 11-10-2013, 05:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wife had a '97 CRV until someone ran a stop sign.......

It was about to roll 200k. She had it since around '01 (had around 60k when purchased).

It was one of the best cars I've ever encountered.

In all of it's life, the only repairs were a new radiator, starter, and distributor (not just since she got it, but since it was brand new). All of which were fairly inexpensive and easy to do.

It ran and drove like a champ. The interior had absolutely no squeaks or rattles. IN fact, aside from a few door dings, it looked almost new (interior was 100% perfect). It was such a good car.......I still get pissed thinking about its demise.

She replaced it with a 2010. I will say, the new one has much more pep and is a smoother drive (no surprise).

Quick Reply: If a Honda is well taken care of, what "part(s)" eventually go out, normally?