Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ideas for a long-term beater?

Old 10-24-2003, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd underline beater in the subject if I could because whatever car this is is definitely gonna take a beating.

Here's some things I'm looking for:
Price Relatively inexpensive and as such, almost definitely used.
Dependability I'll be taking this on several 1000+ mile trips so I can't have it falling apart.
Seating Enough seats for at least two (2) people.
Cargo space Enough space to carry what two people can bring on an airplane--that is four big duffle bags, a carry-on, and a personal item. If the car ends up having four seats, those back seats are fair game for the luggage requirement.
Durability This is where the beatings happen. The inside will almost definitely see boots and other outdoor equipment on a daily basis not to mention an often sweaty, sometimes dirty me. The outside will have to deal with roads made of dirt and gravel and being parked outside
Fun-to-driveness Hey, this is the tough part. Aside from having all that utility, it's still gotta be fun to drive in a car sense (not a gigantic, 40-inch tire mudwhumper sense), which means it would have to be a manual, handle alright, and be at least a little quick...and maybe any other x factors for fun you can think of.

Alright, so any ideas?
Old 10-24-2003, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just get an early 90's Honda Accord in good condition.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:18 AM

An early 90's Acura Legend or Lexus LS400 can be had for slightly more than an Accord or a Camry in a similar shape/mileage, yet you'll get MUCH more of a car.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:00 PM

civic!
Old 10-24-2003, 12:17 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Pontiac Vibe GT.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:21 PM

5th gen prelude? or is that too small?

Maybe a used WRX? probably too much money.

Howabout a used GSR, u could probably find one for cheap.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:21 PM

integra gsr's can be had for around $10K these days... or if you want something newer for the price, try a 99-00 civic si coupe... of if you want a bit more torque and sport, try a gen4 prelude...or a gen5 if you can muster up more doe...
Old 10-24-2003, 12:49 PM

Maybe a mp3 protege? That would be the "beater" I'd get if I was going on some long trips. You have a "sporty" hatch for lots of stuff and a decent sound system straight from the factory.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:57 PM

Hmmm...well seeing as how my current beater is an Integra (albeit an automatic, base model, red one)....and it's definitely having a bad reaction to the Oklahoma lifestyle...

You know what would be nice? An Integra type R in a dark silver that never needs cleaning...and mysteriously has a trunk that is twice the size of a normal Integra ...and has an adjustable suspension to suit the heavier than normal loads and bumpier than normal roads that get thrown its way
Maybe a mp3 protege? That would be the "beater" I'd get if I was going on some long trips. You have a "sporty" hatch for lots of stuff and a decent sound system straight from the factory.
The Protege--in all its incarnations--actually is one of the cars I've had an eye on for quite some time.

Oh, and as a note, no factory sound system lasts very long when it becomes mine
Old 10-24-2003, 02:32 PM

Jeep Wrangler? Well, not the most reliable vehicle ever made but I've gone coast-to-coast in an older YJ. The whole top-down thing is a lot of fun. If you don't care about the interior then just run a bikini top and tail cover all year round.

Durability while being beaten to death? I've seen more crappy Toyota mini-pickups driven by immigrant gardeners running around So Cal. They look like they've led a very hard life but keep on ticking.

Quick Reply: Ideas for a long-term beater?