Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I wanted a new car, but couldn't get away

Old 01-10-2011, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AzNxKuKu,Jan 10 2011, 09:50 AM
Wow didn't know you had to break in the ZR1 brakes like that! Hrmm quite interesting. I wonder if cars that use the same material that the ZR1 has need the same procedure. Rock, you willing to chime in on this?
they have to....I can't imagine there being any substantial difference in materials.
We probably just haven't heard about it because no one actually drives their ceramic brake-equipped cars past 55 mph, lol.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jan 10 2011, 09:43 AM
So, if you do the math, you have to go from 0-60mph-0 every 12 SECONDS! to do it 50 times within 10 minutes. I guess I should do this at 5am on a deserted road with no cars around and before I eat breakfast.
when I was bedding my new pads on my IS-F, seriously made me want to puke. 70-10-70-10 etc like 12 times. It made my eyes hurt. That is going to be a painful experience in a ZR1!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by dombey,Jan 10 2011, 09:55 AM
they have to....I can't imagine there being any substantial difference in materials.
We probably just haven't heard about it because no one actually drives their ceramic brake-equipped cars past 55 mph, lol.
Supposedly from what I've read, the pad material is very specific to the ZR1 because it's one of the few carbon ceramic cars that stops well both in cold and hot conditions. The other ceramic brakes have inferior braking power until they are warmed up. These brakes work under all temperatures AFTER you burnish them apparently.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:07 AM

Hi Cory, love the thread, the video, and of course the car. Really enjoying reading all your comments about that beast, she is a genuine supercar.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM

HOLY SHIT!! I have been searching for a Scuderia but..... HOLY SHIT those videos you posted are truely mind bending. I kept watching the youtube clock to est. your 0 - 100 MPH times and it is ridiculous. I mean RIDICULOUS. It looks like you are hitting 100 MPH in the low 7's. That's from a complete stop!! HOLY EFFEN COW!!

I mean HOLY SHIT!! That thing pulls like a jet engined truck you see at the airshows!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM

Oh and welcome to the wonderful world of brake fade on CCB's. When I track my GT3, I usually brake fairly hard at each corner on the warm up lap to get the CCB's ready for abuse. All the other drivers look all confused think I am a dumba$$! LOL.

Btw - did you clear bra the hood? I would consider doing the hood, 1/2 of the front fender and sideview mirrors. Pricey but woth it.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! What a monster!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr,Jan 10 2011, 02:23 PM
HOLY SHIT!! I have been searching for a Scuderia but..... HOLY SHIT those videos you posted are truely mind bending. I kept watching the youtube clock to est. your 0 - 100 MPH times and it is ridiculous. I mean RIDICULOUS. It looks like you are hitting 100 MPH in the low 7's. That's from a complete stop!! HOLY EFFEN COW!!

I mean HOLY SHIT!! That thing pulls like a jet engined truck you see at the airshows!
my thoughts exactly.

where's that jaw dropping emoticon

my love for vettes have just increased ten fold, and i didnt even know it had room to grow
Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr,Jan 10 2011, 02:27 PM
Oh and welcome to the wonderful world of brake fade on CCB's. When I track my GT3, I usually brake fairly hard at each corner on the warm up lap to get the CCB's ready for abuse. All the other drivers look all confused think I am a dumba$$! LOL.

Btw - did you clear bra the hood? I wonder consider doingg the hood, 1/2 of the front fender and sideview mirrors. Pricey but woth it.
I actually checked on the 430 Scud's right now since they have come down so much, but I decided I could get a new ZR1 at half the price of a super low mileage Scud. The ZR1 is a beast. I just need to burnish the brakes, flush the brake fluid, maybe doing an oil change, and I'll be ready for TWS with TDE. You need to bring your GT3. I'm going to run the stock tires and see how they do. Apparently, they are pretty good, but I may consider sport cups for the next set.

I did clear bra the hood, fenders, whole bumper/lights, side mirrors, and the 1st 12 inches of the CF roof. It looks great, the guy (Norm in DFW) did an awesome job.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jan 10 2011, 10:17 AM
Supposedly from what I've read, the pad material is very specific to the ZR1 because it's one of the few carbon ceramic cars that stops well both in cold and hot conditions. The other ceramic brakes have inferior braking power until they are warmed up. These brakes work under all temperatures AFTER you burnish them apparently.
I did not know that - pretty cool...you'll have to let us know if it actually works out that way, or if the pads are shot at the end of the burnishing process.

Quick Reply: I wanted a new car, but couldn't get away