Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I wanted a new car, but couldn't get away

Old 01-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye,Jan 5 2011, 05:56 PM
How are you driving like that and holding the phone? LOL

Nice vids!
It's tricky, but I'm a professional.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by rockville,Jan 5 2011, 06:09 PM
As many on here know I have a soft spot for the C6 Corvettes. A while back I spent a good bit of time with a new 2005 Z51 package car. It was great because at the time the C6 was very rare so it attracted as much attention as just about any exotic. One of the things I remember about the car was the engine power was both fun and frustrating. It was fun because basically nothing on the road was faster at the time. Yes, it wouldn't have been the fastest thing on the road in '05 but it was faster than anything you would commonly run into. Anyway, the super powerful motor was also a bit of a problem. Really, if you get much faster than the S2000 you are at a point where to really enjoy reving up the motor you need to be able to run at speeds well over 100mph. Any legal speed passes you by so fast that your engine fun is over before it really begins. Much of the time I was driving the car feeling almost frustrated that I couldn't use all the power. 1st was guaranteed to spin the tires. Tire spin in second was still a danger. Only in 3rd did I feel safe from tire spin but 3rd takes you well over 100. Basically the car was great but frustrating to drive on the streets because you knew it could do SO MUCH MORE but tapping that power put you well into the land of too fast for safety. If I had the track I would love to have a C6. I actually wouldn't mind one now but currently I don't want to spend that much on a new car. Having driven the lowliest of the C6s (none are lowly) I can appreciate it but I also appreciate lower powered cars if only because they let you actually use the power without instantly hitting 110! I can' imagine how frustrating it would be to have 638hp on tap... and traffic in your way!
I'm actually more relaxed in the stock ZR1 than I was in the modded '08 Coupe. The ZR1 really has a nice dual personality. With the magnetic shocks set in tour mode and the exhaust valves closed, you can cruise around easily riding on the mountain of torque available off idle. In the aggressive exhaust Coupe I traded in, I wanted to haul a** around everywhere.

I am very much not an image guy at all, trust me, I'm all about performance, but it's not a bad thing to just cruise around with traffic and pimp the car a little bit. It's a bit weird, but I had a bum at a stop light earlier today come up to my car and look in the side window. I rolled it down and he looked at the speedo and said, "Man, 220 miles per hour! That's crazy!" I responded that it would "only" do 205 (with a smile) and he said, "Who really needs to go faster than that? The inside looks like a fighter cockpit." I laughed and gave him some money for his good sense of humor.

I also ran across a C6 Z06 that had neon green license plate and brake rotors (thought that was odd), but also a Texas Mile sticker, so I figured he was a racer. He slowed down and paced me until we both dropped a few gears. I honked 3 times and we both got an equal start, but I put 2-3 cars on him immediately through 3rd and he held that distance through most of 4th gear. So, it must have been pretty much stock. I thought he was going to take me out.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville,Jan 5 2011, 06:09 PM
As many on here know I have a soft spot for the C6 Corvettes. A while back I spent a good bit of time with a new 2005 Z51 package car. It was great because at the time the C6 was very rare so it attracted as much attention as just about any exotic. One of the things I remember about the car was the engine power was both fun and frustrating. It was fun because basically nothing on the road was faster at the time. Yes, it wouldn't have been the fastest thing on the road in '05 but it was faster than anything you would commonly run into. Anyway, the super powerful motor was also a bit of a problem. Really, if you get much faster than the S2000 you are at a point where to really enjoy reving up the motor you need to be able to run at speeds well over 100mph. Any legal speed passes you by so fast that your engine fun is over before it really begins. Much of the time I was driving the car feeling almost frustrated that I couldn't use all the power. 1st was guaranteed to spin the tires. Tire spin in second was still a danger. Only in 3rd did I feel safe from tire spin but 3rd takes you well over 100. Basically the car was great but frustrating to drive on the streets because you knew it could do SO MUCH MORE but tapping that power put you well into the land of too fast for safety. If I had the track I would love to have a C6. I actually wouldn't mind one now but currently I don't want to spend that much on a new car. Having driven the lowliest of the C6s (none are lowly) I can appreciate it but I also appreciate lower powered cars if only because they let you actually use the power without instantly hitting 110! I can' imagine how frustrating it would be to have 638hp on tap... and traffic in your way!
I drove a C6 Z51 for about 20 minutes and sort of had the same feeling...it just felt like I needed to wring the crap out of it because it was so fast.
However, I'm w/ QUIKAG on this one...if you get a car that is very civil in normal situations, it doesn't just ask you to floor it constantly...so the power is there when you need/want it, but it doesn't frustrate you all the time.
Honestly the only times I really floor my F is to pass and freeway entry...anything else and I'm going jail speeds before I hit 4rd or 4th gear. It's still fun as hell, though.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville,Jan 5 2011, 08:09 PM
I had the same experience with both my '04 Z06 and my '08 Coupe.

Don't get me wrong, I'd gladly take another one, but I do think a slower car is more fun around town and on the streets.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jan 5 2011, 06:21 PM
I'm actually more relaxed in the stock ZR1 than I was in the modded '08 Coupe. The ZR1 really has a nice dual personality. With the magnetic shocks set in tour mode and the exhaust valves closed, you can cruise around easily riding on the mountain of torque available off idle. In the aggressive exhaust Coupe I traded in, I wanted to haul a** around everywhere.

I am very much not an image guy at all, trust me, I'm all about performance, but it's not a bad thing to just cruise around with traffic and pimp the car a little bit. It's a bit weird, but I had a bum at a stop light earlier today come up to my car and look in the side window. I rolled it down and he looked at the speedo and said, "Man, 220 miles per hour! That's crazy!" I responded that it would "only" do 205 (with a smile) and he said, "Who really needs to go faster than that? The inside looks like a fighter cockpit." I laughed and gave him some money for his good sense of humor.

I also ran across a C6 Z06 that had neon green license plate and brake rotors (thought that was odd), but also a Texas Mile sticker, so I figured he was a racer. He slowed down and paced me until we both dropped a few gears. I honked 3 times and we both got an equal start, but I put 2-3 cars on him immediately through 3rd and he held that distance through most of 4th gear. So, it must have been pretty much stock. I thought he was going to take me out.
Moar pimpin stores!!!

Aside from turning heads at every corner, what kind of feedback does it get from the exotic crowd? gtr's etc
Old 01-05-2011, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that thing is stupid fast.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was that you on Brand Rd. and 190 an few nights ago I saw a brand new ZR1 w/ paper plates. Looked badass.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sticky2k,Jan 5 2011, 09:50 PM
Was that you on Brand Rd. and 190 an few nights ago I saw a brand new ZR1 w/ paper plates. Looked badass.
Actually, it might have been. I've been using 190 to put the break-in miles on it. I'd go all the way out east until it basically ended and then turn around. If it was a dark gray ZR1 with paper plates, then it probably was me.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by EastS2k,Jan 5 2011, 07:24 PM
Moar pimpin stores!!!

Aside from turning heads at every corner, what kind of feedback does it get from the exotic crowd? gtr's etc
Haven't seen any GT-R's, but I'm sure if they are a car enthusiast, they would give it a thumbs up and I'd do the same to their ride. Did have an old lady (no kidding, she was at least 70) in a jet black S65 AMG cruising up the Dallas tollway drive past me and slow down and give my car the once over. I thought it was classic as I expected it to be a younger guy who wanted to run me.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:17 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

That launch control is pretty sick. I was watching your boost gauge to see if it closed your throttle body while launching, (with a positive displacement blower you can tell if the throttle body shuts because the boost will drop in direct relation to throttle postion percentage) and it didn't move at all. I guess it either keeps the throttle body open and changes timing or the boost gauge isn't 100% accurate. It's insane how quickly you get to 120, especially in like 1 or 2 gears! lol. I need a ride!

Quick Reply: I wanted a new car, but couldn't get away