Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

"I want to start riding"

Old 09-14-2005, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "I want to start riding"

Hey,

I lurked bike talk for some time, and have read most of the "what beginner bike should I buy" "first bike" "want to start riding" topics. They are all fine and dandy, except they seem to be focused on people who have 5-10 thousand dollars to go and a buy a SV650, used 600cc bike, or splurge on a new R6. Well I am a poor college student who is toying with the idea of buying a bike - so what should I buy?

Does it really matter what bike from the Regan era I decide on as long as my feet can solidly touch the ground as I sit on it? I have been reading about YZF-400s and they seem really cool, but hard to find.

I am looking to get a bike for short low speed commutes to campus, and I HOPE track days - as they seem like a lot of fun. My previous motorcycle experience is limited to dirtbikes and whatnot, and I will be taking a MSF course.

Jacob
Old 09-15-2005, 06:08 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

There are plenty of good bikes under $ 2000.00

I would like into most any inline 4 bike. Water cooled is better as they last much longer, most of the 80's bikes were air cooled and are well worn with 20K on the clock.

Here is a great link with info on looking at used bikes

Used bike buying guide
Old 09-15-2005, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Skuzzy,Sep 14 2005, 09:52 PM
Hey,

I lurked bike talk for some time, and have read most of the "what beginner bike should I buy" "first bike" "want to start riding" topics. They are all fine and dandy, except they seem to be focused on people who have 5-10 thousand dollars to go and a buy a SV650, used 600cc bike, or splurge on a new R6. Well I am a poor college student who is toying with the idea of buying a bike - so what should I buy?

Does it really matter what bike from the Regan era I decide on as long as my feet can solidly touch the ground as I sit on it? I have been reading about YZF-400s and they seem really cool, but hard to find.

I am looking to get a bike for short low speed commutes to campus, and I HOPE track days - as they seem like a lot of fun. My previous motorcycle experience is limited to dirtbikes and whatnot, and I will be taking a MSF course.

Jacob
I would look into a used Nighthawk 750. Several advantages. Hydraulic valve lifters - no valve adjustment is required ever. These are easy to maintain - oil changes, adjust the chain and you are good for a long time. It is an air cooled bike - and I seriously disagree with the above post, air cooled is no more/less reliable then water, just depends on the bike and manufacturer. They are very very comfortable and can be had for nothing. Downside I think it is not a good track day bike. If you can find a Kawasaki EX500 - that would also be very cheap and you can definitely use that on the track. Or the 'ol SV650, I imagine that used examples are now easy to find for a reasonable price.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:23 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

You are going to pay through the nose for insurance unless you carry liability only, even then it will be expensive if you are under 25.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:13 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=fanoftheliving,Sep 15 2005, 10:55 AM]I would look into a used Nighthawk 750.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by gfacter,Sep 15 2005, 09:08 AM
air cooled and are well worn with 20K on the clock.

Used bike buying guide
Are you sure about 20K? I was considering getting Ducati S2R which is air cooled. I also thought the maintenance is cheaper without liquid cooling system and looks better without an ugly radiator in the front...

Can you please elaborate on air vs. water cooled machines?

emre
Old 09-15-2005, 10:03 AM

There is nothing wrong with Air cooled bikes, I have owned several. I don't want to get into a long discussion of the pros and cons.

If I was purchasing a air cooled sportbike with more then 20K I would check it out carefully.

That said a few years ago I traded a Palm pilot for a 91 Kawi Zeyphr 750 with about 35K on it, after I rebuilt all the carbs and many other things, it ran great.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of good advice here on 80's bikes. One of my favorite UJM's (universal Japanese motorcycles) is the 1982 Kawazaki GPz 550.

Water cooled vs. air cooled is a long-standing pointless debate. Nobody can look at older BMW air-cooled bikes (so-called "air heads") and say they last fewer miles than any other bike. Water cooled bikes have less temperature change in the engine and therefore have tighter tolerances than an equal-tech air cooled engine. Water also insulates against sounds. Those mean more power and less rattle in water cooled engines, all things being equal.

But air cooled bikes are lighter and simpler, again all other things being equal.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito,Sep 15 2005, 07:23 AM
You are going to pay through the nose for insurance unless you carry liability only, even then it will be expensive if you are under 25.
I would only be carrying liability, and from people who I have talked to who are under 25 and riding bikes, it is not that bad at all.

Thanks for all the advice guys - but does this mean you guys are against YZF-400s?

How heavy are the nighthawks? I am kinda of wary of buying a heavier bike for a couple reasons: I am a skinny guy - 6'1 160 so I am concerned if I have the weight to throw around to ride such a large bike(I climb rocks ), and all my riding experience (while limited) has been on lighter, more agile dirt bikes and whatnot.

Thanks,
Jacob
Old 09-15-2005, 03:30 PM

A YZF-400 is a dirt bike is it not?

Now a RZ-400 or a RD-350 are cool little bikes from Yamaha.

Quick Reply: "I want to start riding"