Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I want a roadster.. suggestions?

Old 03-29-2003, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want a roadster.. suggestions?

I want to get rid of my "sporty" RS and get a real sports car. I'd really like a roadster, but the only thing that is in my price range is the Miata, a used Z3, and a used S2000. I can definately afford the Miata, but I'll have to get a fairly decent job over the summer to afford the other two. I'm worried about maintenance on the Z3, so It's probably my least favorite of the 3. Plus I've never sat in one so I don't know how I'll fit. I'm 6'5" 150lbs, btw, and fit fine in the S2000.

I can sell my current mods to my RS for around $1300, so that's how much money I have currently. I need to make $4K this summer to afford a year of car payments for the S2000. That includes a set of snow tires for winter, because the car will have to get me from college back home one weekend or so per month in all seasons.

Right now all my money goes to pay for the RS, so putting ALL my money in a car isn't going to be an issue.

I definately want a two seater, and would prefer a rag top. I'm not fond of RR cars, and prefer a FR design. That throws out the MR-2. An RX-7 would be nice, but insurance would suck and I don't know of any rotary mechanics. Plus finding one that hasn't been abused is tough.

Does anyone have some advice or suggestions for me? Try not to be overly-enthusiastic about the S, because I can only afford that if I get a well-paying job this summer.

Thanks.
-Matt
Old 03-29-2003, 02:33 AM

Received 4,253 Likes on 3,309 Posts

I'd advise going with the Miata as it is the cheapest out of the three and being that you are still in school you shouldn't over extend yourself financially. You can always move up to an s after you graduate.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:44 AM

have to agree. The miata is a good deal. great daily driver, cheap maintenance, and plenty of mods(if you care about that). Then, when u graduate, u can upgrade, or keep it a wknd toy/track car.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cobreth
[B]
Does anyone have some advice or suggestions for me?
Old 03-29-2003, 03:16 AM

We just bought a 2002 Miata, looking at it as I just got out of college, I would say. Get the Miata it will come with a warranty for 3/36. A used S2000 or the Z3 may come with a remainder of one but it is not for sure. Since the Z3 was now replaced with a Z4 they possibly could have a larger decrease in value. The Miata is a fun car to drive and is very reliable. We also have 0.9% financing on ours through the Mazda dealer and you cant beat that with a stick.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:50 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for the Miata, you can get the redesigned s2000 later. Why squeeze yourself so hard. You can have alot of fun in the Miata and get some decent performance out of it for little $.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:16 AM

If you can't afford the insurance for an RX7, then you surely won't be able to afford the insurance for an S2000. It's not cheap and I can only speculate what it would be for you. I would recommend checking with your insurance agent before you buy anything to see what you are looking at. Tell them the car models that you are interested in and they should be able to give you an idea of what the insurance coverage would cost.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:39 AM

I hate to sound like a spoiled rich kid, but I do have mommy and daddy to rely on for insurance. I've got a full-ride for 4 years of college, too, so it's not like me or my parents are on any financial strain right now. Thing with the RX-7, though, is spending around $18K on a car that's almost 10 years old.

-Matt
Old 03-29-2003, 06:59 AM

I agree with others that the Miata sounds like the best option. You get a very fun car with a soft top, good warranty/reliability, and don't overextend while in college. That's a good habit to learn now.

Tony
Old 03-29-2003, 08:15 AM

6'5 and 150 lbs.?
are you serious? you're so thin!

Quick Reply: I want a roadster.. suggestions?