Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I think its time to let the S go. Help me find a new car.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meh, all manufactures have had those problems come up whether it be American, Japanese, or something else.

Just like anything else, research the crap out of what you want, test drive and buy what you like. I see a lot of good suggestions here.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:30 AM

My car search recently was almost identical to yours (except a slightly lower budget). I was looking at the Mazda3 hatch and Fiat 500's. Both are awesome cars. The Fiat might be small for you, but dealers are giving really awesome deals on 2013 Abarths and Turbos right now.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I glanced over the thread and didn't see a clear answer- how important is the engagement/performance/sportiness factor? And what type of driving will your commute be, ie heavy traffic, constant speed cruising, etc? Are you looking strictly at new cars, or used as well?

Diesels are well suited to longer distances and higher speeds, but they're still respectable in traffic. Everyone that I've talked to with a diesel has gotten mileage exceeding the factory rating. My 335d averages 29mpg with 90% of the driving being slow moving or stop and go traffic, and I've seen up to 43mpg on a drive down to Portland. And yup, diesel is about the same price as premium gas, but it's real easy to do the math and see what's a better value for your specific use.

If you're ok with the appliance-like nature of it, I'd take a look at a used Lexus CT200h. It checks a lot of your boxes and you won't get beat up on depreciation nearly as much as any other option that's been mentioned.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:25 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
It was things like
- electrical problems within weeks of ownership
- tranny replacements
- headlight failures
- internal items breaking
- oil consumption
Odd, they use the same ZF transmission as the Audi A8, and BMW 7 Series... Much of the electrical parts are Ford sourced that are used on Lincolns. The only issue I had on my '04 VDP was torque converter, which was kind of expensive, but was resolved by '05 model. Never burned oil.. As I mentioned earlier, there's a gorgeous '04 XJR at my indy mechanic with 170K on the odometer. Engine has never been taken apart with over 400 HP and rides incredibly. Everything works without issue.

Range Rover is using Jaguar engines and their queue to order a new Range Rover is like 6 months.

If you do not like Jag's or Range Rover's; that's fine, but to claim the XJ is as you say is not accurate.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:44 AM

I like either a GTI or Mazda3.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by _brandon
hyundai veloster? I dont know why but they appeal to me greatly. Love fun hatches
especially the Turbo version. the LED taillights, and the fat dual pipes out of the middle of the bumper. I caught myself stalking one on the highway today.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:09 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1393451061' post='23035842

It was things like
- electrical problems within weeks of ownership
- tranny replacements
- headlight failures
- internal items breaking
- oil consumption
Odd, they use the same ZF transmission as the Audi A8, and BMW 7 Series... Much of the electrical parts are Ford sourced that are used on Lincolns. The only issue I had on my '04 VDP was torque converter, which was kind of expensive, but was resolved by '05 model. Never burned oil.. As I mentioned earlier, there's a gorgeous '04 XJR at my indy mechanic with 170K on the odometer. Engine has never been taken apart with over 400 HP and rides incredibly. Everything works without issue.

Range Rover is using Jaguar engines and their queue to order a new Range Rover is like 6 months.

If you do not like Jag's or Range Rover's; that's fine, but to claim the XJ is as you say is not accurate.
I am only sharing what was seen at the dealers side during those years. It's great you have had a good experience. That wasn't what I heard from my then wife.

Take care.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:05 PM

Please Honda bring this to the states. Stop teasing us.

I don't understand why they won't give us the civic type r. We got the Integra type r and sales were decent back then.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:32 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Next year VW is bringing in the GTD, which is a diesel GTI. Too bad it's not here now. I had a Golf TDI and sold it with 200,000 miles on the clock. My overall average mpg was over 48, and my best was over 54. I drove a Jetta Sportwagon diesel a few days ago, and sadly it doesn't meet my current needs, but I liked it.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:28 AM

Curious if you don't mind me asking - what of your current needs did the Sportwagen not satisfy? Its pretty much at the top of my list right now for cars to replace the S once our family starts growing.

Originally Posted by CG
Next year VW is bringing in the GTD, which is a diesel GTI. Too bad it's not here now. I had a Golf TDI and sold it with 200,000 miles on the clock. My overall average mpg was over 48, and my best was over 54. I drove a Jetta Sportwagon diesel a few days ago, and sadly it doesn't meet my current needs, but I liked it.

Quick Reply: I think its time to let the S go. Help me find a new car.