Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I think its time to let the S go. Help me find a new car.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:42 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by MegaTRon
VW is claiming 43 mpg HWY for their TDI models. How accurate are these numbers in real world setting?

Most likely very accurate. However, at least where I live, diesel is more expensive than gas, and lots of manufacturers charge a premium for the diesel engine, killing any extra mileage benefit.

FWIW my wife has a long commute and got close to 40 in her Focus, and got 38.5 on her first tank in the new 2.5 liter Mazda 3, which will likely go up a bit after break in if either of those cars interest you. Her Focus was a nice little car and the hatchbacks look cool. She hated it because it was a dog and Ford touch sucks, but I liked it though I agree it was a dog.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:04 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

just order a 2015 wrx. for the price, it's one of the best DDs. I loved my gti, but the WRX is awd, much faster, and more reliable. The 2015 interior, engine. & tranny are much better than the 2014. & better gas mileage
Old 02-25-2014, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MegaTRon
VW is claiming 43 mpg HWY for their TDI models. How accurate are these numbers in real world setting?
My girlfriend has a jetta tdi and it's normal for us to see almost 50mpg on the highway. When it was new we averaged around 44, but now that she over 10k miles it's only improving.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spessx
Originally Posted by MegaTRon' timestamp='1393310274' post='23032719
I love my S but I think its time to get something more practical with extra cargo space for daily long commutes. I've had the S for over 4 years now while living in smaller cities where traffic is a non-issue. I will be moving to Dallas, TX in August for the last 2 years of Pharmacy school, where I will be having long commutes to school and different rotation sites. I know traffic can be a pain in the ass and I just hate putting the S through that kind of abuse. If I do sell the S, I will most definitely purchased another one once I'm done with Pharm school. I also have a 10 month old Dobermann currently 80 lbs and will only get bigger. Transporting him in the S has been rather quite comical. I'm currently looking at hatchbacks and the 2015 VW GTI is really catching my attention. Anyone with experience on VW willing to share their thoughts? Reliability? Maintenance? If Honda is really bringing the Civic Type R to the US, I will be all over that.

I'm open to suggestions. Needs to get decent gas mileage. While hatchbacks are preferred, I am willing to go with a sedan.
I have a 2010 Mk6 GTI. My car has APR software, Intake and an SBC Clutch disc. I've got almost 50k miles and the car has been great. It's smoother, quieter and more efficient than my wife's BMW 530. I average about 27-28 mpg in mixed driving - and this is running 270hp/305tq! The power is very accessible in daily street driving. The turbo is spooled at 1500 rpm and producing max torque at 2000 rpm. With that said, the power pretty much dies out after 5500 (right where my S2k starts!).

It's a really fun, liveable car. VW really blurred the lines with Audi on this car and I've been very happy with it.

As far as reliability goes, I've only had a few issues and they were attributable to my Tune. I replaced the stock clutch disc because it couldn't handle the 50% increase in torque without slipping. Also, I had a coilpack fail at 30k miles. I went ahead and replaced all of the coil packs with Audi R8 packs (only $120!!) to make sure none of the others would fail.

The 2015 looks to be a great car - especially the performance pack with the electronic diff. However, I'm always leery of purchasing first year production cars - Especially European cars.
Are VW's fairly easy to work on like Hondas?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say keep the S, get a hardtop, if you don't already have one. Save your money and then buy another car when your able to have 2! I had a 2 door accord in addition to my S and eventually sold it bc i only drove it when it rained! I live in Dallas, so am very familiar with the traffic! I commute about 20-25 miles from the burbs to downtown in my S with SOS clutch! I love it! I have also transported a german shepard a couple times while dog sitting and found a thread where someone built a "shelf" type system to transport large dogs. It basically raised the floorboard to give the dog a level area to lay down. Ill post a pic when i get home.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hyundai veloster? I dont know why but they appeal to me greatly. Love fun hatches
Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about keeping the s and picking up a cheap daily?
Old 02-26-2014, 10:37 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Jag you have to be joking! Ex wife worked at a jag dealership during those year, horribly built cars with regular failures. Next it'll be a land rover you suggest
Your perception and facts are not the same.

Would have to beg to differ on the horribly built cars, and JD Power analysis does not support the regular failures with 2004+ XJ's. The 4.2L AJV8 is one of the best V8's made in Europe. I wouldn't suggest a Range Rover; mine has been quite reliable but gets poor gas mileage.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by _brandon
hyundai veloster? I dont know why but they appeal to me greatly. Love fun hatches
Very cute car, but when will they put the engine in the rear and flare sides ala "Renault Clio V6" style? I'd be running to the Hyundai dealer if that were the case!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1393360761' post='23033826
Jag you have to be joking! Ex wife worked at a jag dealership during those year, horribly built cars with regular failures. Next it'll be a land rover you suggest
Your perception and facts are not the same.

Would have to beg to differ on the horribly built cars, and JD Power analysis does not support the regular failures with 2004+ XJ's. The 4.2L AJV8 is one of the best V8's made in Europe. I wouldn't suggest a Range Rover; mine has been quite reliable but gets poor gas mileage.
It was things like
- electrical problems within weeks of ownership
- tranny replacements
- headlight failures
- internal items breaking
- oil consumption

I wish I could remember all the details but it was pretty pathetic. Turn around time on repairs wasn't great either. She also worked at Rover and it wasn't a ton better. Your mileage may vary but neither company has produced a rock solid platform in years.

Quick Reply: I think its time to let the S go. Help me find a new car.