Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I Need Help! 2005 TL with vibration problem

Old 01-24-2008, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Help! 2005 TL with vibration problem

Here's the deal. I bought a 2005 TL A SPEC with Navi brand new with 6 miles on it off the show room floor almost 3 years ago.

The car had a bad vibration, which I as well as the stealership thought were from the low profile tires sitting on the show room floor for a month. After a month of driving the bad vibration was still there.

I took the car back on several occassions and tried to get the problem resloved but to no avail.

I figured that it was just the tires and when it was time for a new pair, noticed that the vibration was still there. I'm on my 3rd pair of tires, I baby the car, it sits in a garage, it is balanced, rotated, aligned, etc. on a regular schedule and the vibration is still awful. I have checked the tire pressure and everything and I can't seem to find the problem.

I have taken the car back at least 5 different times and had two dealerships look at the car and no one can figure out why the car shakes so badly.

So I am coming to you guys because I know that someone on here can explain what's wrong with my ride.

I would just sell her, but I was hit back in 2006 in the rear so now the car has a blemished record and has lost a little value. So I'd be really upside down if I sold her right now.

Please help

Old 01-24-2008, 11:24 AM

Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 AM

Hmmm. Sounds difficult to diagnose. Have you checked the suspension for any bends or any sign that it has been in an accident or any damage while being transported to the stealership? Is it severe or a moderate vibration? Does it increase as you increase speed? You may want to check the TL forums maybe this is an issue that other TL owners have had. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:40 AM

Where exactly is the vibration coming from? Where do you feel it? Is it related to engine speed or vehicle speed?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:19 PM

The vibration gets faster and harder the faster I go. So it's related to tire rotation I think.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:48 PM

Ok, but does the steering wheel vibrate and shake? Or does it come through the chassis? From the front or rear? I'm trying to help you isolate the vibration. Have you checked the engine and transmission mounts?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:58 PM

The entire car vibrates. You don't have to hold on to the steering wheel to feel the vibration. It will get bad enough to rattle the change in my cup holder sometimes.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:11 PM

As odd as it sounds its possible you could have a bent halfshaft. If the problem has never gotten better with all the work they have done with the wheels and tires you need to start looking at other rotating components that can be bent or off balance. Brakes/Hubs/Half shafts, etc can all cause vibrations if they are distorted or bent enough.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:01 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

A bad wheel bearing can do that but if it had it from the start, I don't think that's it.

I'm with the guys that said look at axles/halfshafts and such.

When they rebalanced the tires and put new ones on, did they confirm that the tire was in perfect balance? A bad wheel could cause that kind of vibration as well...
Old 01-24-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jan 24 2008, 05:01 PM
A bad wheel bearing can do that but if it had it from the start, I don't think that's it.

I'm with the guys that said look at axles/halfshafts and such.

When they rebalanced the tires and put new ones on, did they confirm that the tire was in perfect balance? A bad wheel could cause that kind of vibration as well...
Yes, they did every time. And I would talk to the guys looking under the car about the vibration and they never found anything.

Quick Reply: I Need Help! 2005 TL with vibration problem