Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I just watched Senna..

Old 07-07-2013, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me preface what I am about to say with I think 'Senna' is a fantastic documentary. It set out to educate millions of people about one of the greatest drivers in Formula 1, and accomplished this goal very well. I think it did such a good job that we now have millions of 'fan-boy' Senna leg-humpers running around. No disrespect to Ayrton, but I get the feeling as though people are strong to say he was the great driver of all time by only watching this one documentary. That's an argument for another time though.

As good a documentary I think 'Senna' is I do not like how they portrayed Prost. The Senna/Prost rivalry is still one that is discussed in Formula 1 today (and will be discussed for many, many years to come). It's one of those amazing battles/stories that loves to be told. The way that they (the producers) portrayed Prost was a bit unfair though. It's perfectly natural for someone that doesn't follow Formula 1 to be left thinking that "the Prost guy" is an evil person. The producers had to do this (I suppose) in order to try and portray how epic the rivalry was (the classic good versus evil story). What I wish they would have at least done is explained after the crash what Prost did to give him a bit more of a positive light. Things like how Prost took over the Senna charity for destitute children in Brasil. (*-They may have done this in the extended version of the film. I don't remember as it has been so long. Nevertheless, I think it should have been explored more in the regularly viewed version [as well])

The Senna/Prost rivalry was epic, but I think what should really be taken away from 'Senna' is what an accomplished driver he was. They made Prost out to be a 'bad guy' to make the story more interesting, but they have also tarnished what Prost accomplished in Formula 1 which I think is unfair. Because the way the film was focused (being a Senna film) we don't even care to learn that Prost is a 4-time Formula 1 champion (with 51 grand prix wins, and 106 podiums). I think, again maybe toward the end of the film, that some of these things could have been shared to leave a better taste in the viewers mouth for both drivers.

/rant.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoBottleJustThrottle
Let me preface what I am about to say with I think 'Senna' is a fantastic documentary. It set out to educate millions of people about one of the greatest drivers in Formula 1, and accomplished this goal very well. I think it did such a good job that we now have millions of 'fan-boy' Senna leg-humpers running around. No disrespect to Ayrton, but I get the feeling as though people are strong to say he was the great driver of all time by only watching this one documentary. That's an argument for another time though.

As good a documentary I think 'Senna' is I do not like how they portrayed Prost. The Senna/Prost rivalry is still one that is discussed in Formula 1 today (and will be discussed for many, many years to come). It's one of those amazing battles/stories that loves to be told. The way that they (the producers) portrayed Prost was a bit unfair though. It's perfectly natural for someone that doesn't follow Formula 1 to be left thinking that "the Prost guy" is an evil person. The producers had to do this (I suppose) in order to try and portray how epic the rivalry was (the classic good versus evil story). What I wish they would have at least done is explained after the crash what Prost did to give him a bit more of a positive light. Things like how Prost took over the Senna charity for destitute children in Brasil. (*-They may have done this in the extended version of the film. I don't remember as it has been so long. Nevertheless, I think it should have been explored more in the regularly viewed version [as well])

The Senna/Prost rivalry was epic, but I think what should really be taken away from 'Senna' is what an accomplished driver he was. They made Prost out to be a 'bad guy' to make the story more interesting, but they have also tarnished what Prost accomplished in Formula 1 which I think is unfair. Because the way the film was focused (being a Senna film) we don't even care to learn that Prost is a 4-time Formula 1 champion (with 51 grand prix wins, and 106 podiums). I think, again maybe toward the end of the film, that some of these things could have been shared to leave a better taste in the viewers mouth for both drivers.

/rant.
I agree with you perspective on how the directors portrayed the rivalry (I included a link in what Prost thought). Overall though, extremely educational. Maybe when you saw the film it did not mention anything about Prost and his involvement with the Senna charity after Senna died. However it was mentioned when I saw it.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02_s2k
I agree with you perspective on how the directors portrayed the rivalry (I included a link in what Prost thought). Overall though, extremely educational. Maybe when you saw the film it did not mention anything about Prost and his involvement with the Senna charity after Senna died. However it was mentioned when I saw it.
Quite frankly I haven't seen the movie in so long that I couldn't remember if they mentioned his involvement with Senna's charity or not. I'm glad they did. The directors did an incredible job educating the world about a fallen legend. I just wish what they portrayed wasn't so one sided is all.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The battle between those was like a fairy tail...