Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I just drove a 'vette!

Old 04-12-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to say this...
I half agree with your post. The Vette better be faster as it has a lot more motor and tire. However, while it's motor has over twice the capacity, it weighs about 150lbs more than the F20 (~40% more). The Vette's chassis does have something on the Honda. It doesn't have the lift throttle over steer the earlier cars have (never driven a 2.2L so I don't know about that). It's VERY stiff and though not as tossable, it's very stable and easy to drive quick. Having taken a Vette to the hills I can tell you it does handle well. The only issue is it handles so well it's like the car is doing all the hard stuff for you. That's great if my objective is the fastest lap but sometimes I just want to have fun.
The car does have lots of brute power, but it's also quite nimble. It's just got to much tire to feel tossable.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:53 AM

If money is no object, there is no reason not to pick the Vette. I think its a great car at a bargain price.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by oshp515,Apr 12 2006, 11:15 AM
it will always amaze me how shallow and naive some people are......a vette SHOULD be faster than an S2K....IT HAS OVER DOUBLE THE MOTOR....a vette's chassis has nothing on the honda's and its tossibility pales in comparison....quite simply it is america's take on a circuit car, which makes up for lack of agility with brute power
So let me get this straight...

If a car has brute power, then it is compensating for it's chassis?

Hmm...guess that means the Porsche Carrera GT, Ford GT, All Ferrari's and Lamborghini's etc. Are just compensating for a bad chassis with all that horsepower...

Guess you missed the articles talking about the Z06 being faster around a circuit track than most of it's exotic brethren...
Old 04-12-2006, 12:46 PM

These guys are giving some good advice. Buy some nice clothes, go out to bars and clubs, wine and dine some females, and drive whatever will get you from point A to B. You can splurge on cars at any point in your life. I 1000% guarantee you that most of the guys who own Enzos, CGTs, and the like would trade it all away to be 25 again, in a heart beat.

If you don't get it now, you will understand in a few years.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corvettes are a great bargain but I'm not a bargain shopper. Bottom line is I buy a car for it's looks. If it's the performance king of the world and it's ugly.... I won't buy it. PERIOD.

I have much respect for the C5/C6 vettes......

But IMO I would rather drive my S and get lapped by Corvettes all day....then own an Corvette and know I got a great deal.

Tim

Old 04-12-2006, 12:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=protokultur,Apr 12 2006, 12:46 PM] These guys are giving some good advice.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by SIIK2NR,Apr 12 2006, 12:56 PM
Corvettes are a great bargain but I'm not a bargain shopper. Bottom line is I buy a car for it's looks. If it's the performance king of the world and it's ugly.... I won't buy it. PERIOD.

I have much respect for the C5/C6 vettes......

But IMO I would rather drive my S and get lapped by Corvettes all day....then own an Corvette and know I got a great deal.

Tim
I don't buy my cars based purely on looks and I respect that looks are subjective. That said, I think the Vette is stunning for something that doesn't cost 911 money. Even then I think it looks great next to a 911. I don't think the interior is bad or cheep. The materials are generally very good and easily beat cars like the 350Z and easily equal the G35 (neither are interior champs in my book). More so the interior is very functional and has a HUD.
Yup, I really like the C6... but not enough to spend the $50K I would have to drop to get one equipped the way I would want it.

I also respect that we can have different opinions.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:40 PM

[QUOTE=s4play,Apr 12 2006, 12:57 PM] SOOOO welll said man!

Cars are just cars...means nothing really - when you leave this world people do NOT remember you as saying, wow that guy had so many nice cars.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by 460cidpower,Apr 12 2006, 10:10 AM
What other stuff? This is honstly how my expensises look:

I make $1045 net per month -

$32 once a month for Cable internet
$180 a month car insurance
$200 a month car payment
$20 a month in maintenece for my car such as oil, filters ect.
$146 a month in gas
$200 a month to my chruch (I like to give AND recieve)

= $267 left over.

I have no girl friend(and no plans for one for at least 10 years)
I was with you on the Vette until this point. Seriously f'ed up priorities. Seriously.

To look back at my life and think I passed on some hot young females to drive a Chevrolet, (admittedly a very nice Chevrolet, maybe the best ever) I would kill myself.

Take a ride in the best Ferrari ever, then take a ride on a 23 year old goregeous woman. Um, if I have to explain this........nevermind.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1,Apr 13 2006, 11:14 AM
Take a ride in the best Ferrari ever, then take a ride on a 23 year old goregeous woman. Um, if I have to explain this........nevermind.

Classic!

Quick Reply: I just drove a 'vette!