Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I just drove a 'vette!

Old 04-11-2006, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK.. first off, there are few who love their S2000s more than I. It's a phenomenal car, and mine has mucho many very happy track miles on it.

I recently drove a new Z06 on the track as well... HOLY $%&T!!! what a ride.

eg: At "Streets of Willow Springs," one of the "slower" tracks we run on, (very tight corners and LOTS of them) my best lap time in my S2k is around 1:32:xx. In the Vette, it was an easy cruise to a 1:31:xx.

At the end of the front straight, the fastest I've ever been in my S2k was maybe 112-113. In the Z06, I was at 145 without breaking a sweat. Heading into the bowl in the back straight, where I'm lucky to be near 100 in the S2k, I was over 130 in the Z06. That same day I also had the chance to drive an '05 Carrera S and an '05 SL600, while those two cars made the S2000 feel slow, the 'vette left them both in the dust.

I've driven many of the great cars in the world, and none of them have felt as fast and nimble as the 'Vette. Sure the thing will probably start rattling in a year or so, it's a Chevy, but for sheer bang for the buck... I don't think there's any car in the world (including my own S2000 ) that can match the 2006 Z06 for thrills and high-speed driving joy.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drewchie,Apr 12 2006, 04:09 AM
OK.. first off, there are few who love their S2000s more than I. It's a phenomenal car, and mine has mucho many very happy track miles on it.

eg: At "Streets of Willow Springs," one of the "slower" tracks we run on, (very tight corners and LOTS of them) my best lap time in my S2k is around 1:32:xx. In the Vette, it was an easy cruise to a 1:31:xx.

At the end of the front straight, the fastest I've ever been in my S2k was maybe 112-113. In the Z06, I was at 145 without breaking a sweat. Heading into the bowl in the back straight, where I'm lucky to be near 100 in the S2k, I was over 130 in the Z06. That same day I also had the chance to drive an '05 Carrera S and an '05 SL600, while those two cars made the S2000 feel slow, the 'vette left them both in the dust.

I've driven many of the great cars in the world, and none of them have felt as fast and nimble as the 'Vette. Sure the thing will probably start rattling in a year or so, it's a Chevy, but for sheer bang for the buck... I don't think there's any car in the world (including my own S2000 ) that can match the 2006 Z06 for thrills and high-speed driving joy.
For around 70k the 06' ZO6 is the best track car for high speed driving ever. Now lets be real,can that car even remotely be compaired to a 30k S2000.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:20 PM

I thought this post was about Chevette!
Old 04-11-2006, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by drewchie,Apr 11 2006, 06:09 PM

I've had my regular lowly 400hp C6 1 year this week. With over 13000 miles,some hard track days and autox's and me flogging it for every second of its life. My C6 has been absolutely flawless, no rattles,no problems, nothing but fun.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by duboseq,Apr 11 2006, 11:37 AM
What other stuff? This is honstly how my expensises look:

I make $1045 net per month -

$32 once a month for Cable internet
$180 a month car insurance
$200 a month car payment
$20 a month in maintenece for my car such as oil, filters ect.
$146 a month in gas
$200 a month to my chruch (I like to give AND recieve)

= $267 left over.

I have no girl friend(and no plans for one for at least 10 years) I don't go to the movies, smoke, drink or anything. I don't even eat out. I don't even have a cell phone!

I am one of the cheapest man alive, EXCEPT when it comes to cars. I will spend every free cent I have to go faster and drive better.

So tell me, what should I be spending my money on?

Have you ever stopped and thought, what do most men do with their lives? They dream of owning a kickass car when their younger, but most can't afford it.

They go to collage, get waaayyyy in debt, get married have a family, and once they are like 55-60 years old, they finally get the car of thier dreams, only to die that next week, or worse their body hurts so bad, they can't drive stick or toss thier bodies around a road course. OR they drive really, really, really slow.....

I want my life to be like an all you can eat buffet, why go for the salads and crap when you can skip right to the desert?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by 460cidpower,Apr 12 2006, 08:10 PM

$200 a month car payment
$146 a month in gas

= $267 left over.

I have no girl friend(and no plans for one for at least 10 years) I don't go to the movies, smoke, drink or anything. I don't even eat out. I don't even have a cell phone!

I am one of the cheapest man alive, EXCEPT when it comes to cars. I will spend every free cent I have to go faster and drive better.

Have you ever stopped and thought, what do most men do with their lives? They dream of owning a kickass car when their younger, but most can't afford it.

They go to collage, get waaayyyy in debt, get married have a family, and once they are like 55-60 years old, they finally get the car of thier dreams, only to die that next week, or worse their body hurts so bad, they can't drive stick or toss thier bodies around a road course. OR they drive really, really, really slow.....

I want my life to be like an all you can eat buffet, why go for the salads and crap when you can skip right to the desert?
And to think I've wasted my whole life caring for a family and aquiring a small fortune.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by 460cidpower,Apr 12 2006, 08:10 AM

$200 a month car payment
$146 a month in gas

= $267 left over.

I'm sorry, you seem nice enough and I don't mean to be rude, but...

If you really don't plan on dating anyone until you're 30, that's pretty sad. Most people meet their future husband/wife in their early 20s. If you really don't go out to movies, out to eat, or even out to coffee, that's makes me sad too. You can always make up for a missed chance at a sports car when you are 50... you can't make up for missed memories from your youth.

If you really think college, dating, and friends are stupid, you are in for a world of hurt in the future. When you are 35 and earning $25-30k a year with REAL living expenses (shelter, food, utilities) and cannot afford a nice car any longer, what are you going to have left?
Old 04-12-2006, 11:00 AM

I'd like to save for retirement, but hey if I'm only thinking about today I'll market stuff to you and you can buy it.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:03 AM

Not trying to be rude but , If you net salary is $1K per month, there is absolutely no way you should buy a Corvette, at least not a new one. Tires, Brake pads and other consumables are very expensive and you will probably not have enough money to make payments or maintain the car properly.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:15 AM

it will always amaze me how shallow and naive some people are......a vette SHOULD be faster than an S2K....IT HAS OVER DOUBLE THE MOTOR....a vette's chassis has nothing on the honda's and its tossibility pales in comparison....quite simply it is america's take on a circuit car, which makes up for lack of agility with brute power

Quick Reply: I just drove a 'vette!