Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I got stopped for wreckless driving

Old 08-18-2005, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Care to make suggestions? The last sentence is certainly not eloquent, but it is correct.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:49 PM

I'm really happy with how things have turned out.

I am forever grateful of the cop I dealt with the other night, as he was very sincere and understanding. I couldn't have been luckier. He told me he would chat with the police officer at my school, and that we might have a chat. I somewhat look forward to this day as I will be able to explain how different things are.

I am glad I got pulled over, before anything serious happened, the last thing that I want to happen is for someone to get hurt.

I feel like I have learned my lesson, I'm really sorry about that first post guys, the tone was so wrong, I should have been treating the situation so much differently.

I've had plenty more time to think about it though, and with the help from you guys, I believe I have been set straight.

I should have never been taking such risks, possibly putting so many people in danger. After a reality check and reconsidering my real responsibilities and real goals, driving negiligently on public streets will not accomplish any of them.

Again, I want to apologize for all of you who are worried about kids like me, I only hope that everyone else who was in my position can learn their lesson before somebody gets hurt.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brent_strong,Aug 19 2005, 05:55 AM
Care to make suggestions? The last sentence is certainly not eloquent, but it is correct.
The only suggestion I would make is for you is to dwell on the torture of a couple centuries of ink prior to being so bold with your keyboard. (Just because Microsoft Word does not underline your sentence in green does not a good sentence make.)

First of all, proper nouns (even fictionalized ones such as brent strong) are capitalized.

And though I am no grammarian, I can illuminate a few issues that may interfere with your interest in becoming an authority on automobile forums (AAF for all you internet savants).

"For what it's worth (FWIW for all you internet types), I'm 20 and would have had no problem writing as well as the original poster when I was 16."

Though there is nothing grammatically incorrect with your sentence above, it's been a VERY long time since I've seen the dreaded passive tense combined with the often misunderstood past tense imperfective. I don't think there is a less ineffective way of communicating. (Litotes combined with sarcasm--gotta love it!)

As for:
"That is not anything special, it is, or should be, common knowledge."

Though I definitely agree with your statement that there's nothing eloquent about the above globbing together of words, I cannot help but disagree with your insistence that the above sentence is "correct."

The run-on sentence should instead read:

"That is not anything special. It is (or should be) common knowledge."

Or:

"That is not anything special. It is--or should be--common knowledge."

Whereas the first example communicates intimacy [through the use of punctuation's loving arms (not only did I anthropomorphize something as pedestrian as parenthesis--I emphasized the the device autologically)], the second example shifts from indirect to direct (and back to indirect) speech and communicates the insistence I do believe you were seeking.

But aside from the grammar and stylistic and punctuation blunders (polysyndeton), consider that your post broadcasts:

"It should be common knowledge that I write as poorly now as the original poster did four years ago." (Amphibol(og)y intentional.)

I definitely won't disagree with your statement there. However I know (and will admit to) not being grammatically arrogant: I make mistakes more frequently than I realize; my spelling definitely could stand improvement; I am a terrible proof-reader (is that word even hyphenated?); and my sentence structure occasionally confuses even me. I will, however, never be as careless to challenge someone to correct a post of mine--not even you.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:05 AM

Sorry for some reason a post in a different section ended up here?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StepInTheMirror,Aug 18 2005, 10:47 AM
I don't drive dangerously anymore.
Dude, word to the wise, don't edit your posts. If you are going to write some stupid crap at least have the nuts to leave it up for everyone to see. IT will teach you not to write stupid crap again.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nobody,Aug 19 2005, 12:44 AM
The only suggestion I would make is for you is to dwell on the torture of a couple centuries of ink prior to being so bold with your keyboard. (Just because Microsoft Word does not underline your sentence in green does not a good sentence make.)

First of all, proper nouns (even fictionalized ones such as brent strong) are capitalized.

And though I am no grammarian, I can illuminate a few issues that may interfere with your interest in becoming an authority on automobile forums (AAF for all you internet savants).

"For what it's worth (FWIW for all you internet types), I'm 20 and would have had no problem writing as well as the original poster when I was 16."

Though there is nothing grammatically incorrect with your sentence above, it's been a VERY long time since I've seen the dreaded passive tense combined with the often misunderstood past tense imperfective. I don't think there is a less ineffective way of communicating. (Litotes combined with sarcasm--gotta love it!)

As for:
"That is not anything special, it is, or should be, common knowledge."

Though I definitely agree with your statement that there's nothing eloquent about the above globbing together of words, I cannot help but disagree with your insistence that the above sentence is "correct."

The run-on sentence should instead read:

"That is not anything special. It is (or should be) common knowledge."

Or:

"That is not anything special. It is--or should be--common knowledge."

Whereas the first example communicates intimacy [through the use of punctuation's loving arms (not only did I anthropomorphize something as pedestrian as parenthesis--I emphasized the the device autologically)], the second example shifts from indirect to direct (and back to indirect) speech and communicates the insistence I do believe you were seeking.

But aside from the grammar and stylistic and punctuation blunders (polysyndeton), consider that your post broadcasts:

"It should be common knowledge that I write as poorly now as the original poster did four years ago." (Amphibol(og)y intentional.)

I definitely won't disagree with your statement there. However I know (and will admit to) not being grammatically arrogant: I make mistakes more frequently than I realize; my spelling definitely could stand improvement; I am a terrible proof-reader (is that word even hyphenated?); and my sentence structure occasionally confuses even me. I will, however, never be as careless to challenge someone to correct a post of mine--not even you.
English major's testing the water before school starts again.
Both these guys are probably friends.

I'm still betting $1, but may be hard to prove it.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:02 AM

Drive how you want. That's why engineers developed the airbag and other safety features. It makes driving much more exciting when you never know when you could be involved in a serious accident because of some other driver.