Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I drove a 2010 RX-8...

Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by importluva,Dec 22 2010, 08:07 PM
The RX8 would be great if you could get reliable F/I for it
Which would require both someone in the aftermarket and someone owning the car who actually know something about rotaries and won't treat them like piston engines.

Yeah, it's a hyperbole, but people treating rotaries like piston engines is very common, and it's a shame since rotaries are practically made for turbos.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by importluva,Dec 22 2010, 04:07 PM
The RX8 would be great if you could get reliable F/I for it
I'm sure you can. My Fd was bullet proof at the track, even in over 105* weather I didn't have to worry about it blowing. As long as you know what you are doing rotaries are reliable.

I love the RX-8, they are great cars. They handle and stop really well. The lack of power doesn't really bother me, but it would be nice if it had a bit more power. If I needed back seats I would have bought one, but I don't so I bought an s2000. The s2000 feels a bit sharper compared to the RX-8. When I need to have a car with back seats the RX-8 will be the first car I look at.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:10 PM

I always thought the styling was decent but did not understand the 4 door thing and then a funny thing happened . Got offered a test drive and wow I thought it was fun to drive with a nice exhaust note. The thing that ruins it for me is besides the fuel mileage and oil usage was Top Gear said it was a little skittish in the rain.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:33 PM

I love everything about the car...I like rotaries too but the rx8 rotary just seems to weak and hard to get any real power out of. I wish it came with the old school rx7 motor lol
Old 12-22-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tarheel91,Dec 22 2010, 07:15 PM
Which would require both someone in the aftermarket and someone owning the car who actually know something about rotaries and won't treat them like piston engines.

Yeah, it's a hyperbole, but people treating rotaries like piston engines is very common, and it's a shame since rotaries are practically made for turbos.
I followed the RX8 since the day it came out. I like superchargers and I was hoping the axial flow sc would be released. Development kept going and going I don't think it was ever released.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I still think that if I were to buy a second car to the S for fun, it would be an RX-8. Or a Jeep.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tarheel91,Dec 22 2010, 03:05 PM
Trading the rotary for the inline 4 would sacrifice much of the dynamics that people love the RX8 for.
It would add a little bit of weight in the nose, but I'm sure they could tune it to minimize the effect. The RX8 has a great chassis. Putting a piston engine in it won't change that.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh,Dec 23 2010, 09:00 AM
It would add a little bit of weight in the nose, but I'm sure they could tune it to minimize the effect. The RX8 has a great chassis. Putting a piston engine in it won't change that.
You're looking at atleast 150 pounds at the front end of the vehicle. That means increasing yaw inertia (making the car less responsive, slower to turn in, etc.) You're also looking at GREATLY increasing the center of gravity for the front of the car. Rotaries aren't just light, they're short too. Reducing the center of gravity decreases weight transfer, and that's something you can't make up for with a great chassis or suspension.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by hellaSleepy,Dec 22 2010, 02:59 PM
What is the issue with these engines being "flooded"? My friend has a rx-8 that he drives normally to school & one day the car was acting up bad. Dealer said "it's a known problem", any info on this?
There was an issue with the rx8 engine being flood by fue thatl you wouldn't be able to start the car up again. I have no idea if they addressed the problem with newer models, but it was said that if you start your car in the winter time and immediately turn the car off say maybe moving it for snow cleaning. You'll end up flooding the engine with fuel and the car will not start back up. Dealership said the trick was to rev it past 4k rpm then shut the car off.

I looked at rx8 before buying the S too, and that was one of the turn offs.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX,Dec 22 2010, 05:10 PM
I always thought the styling was decent but did not understand the 4 door thing and then a funny thing happened . Got offered a test drive and wow I thought it was fun to drive with a nice exhaust note. The thing that ruins it for me is besides the fuel mileage and oil usage was Top Gear said it was a little skittish in the rain.
You listened to Top Gear? That's your problem. They are an entertainment show, not a car review program. These are the same people who reviewed a V6 Mustang then said it was a V8. Perhaps you would be better off asking actual owners if the car does well in the rain.

Quick Reply: I drove a 2010 RX-8...