Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I Don't mean to offend anyone but, who'd buy a

Old 01-04-2005, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People buy cars for all sorts of reasons. Many rational people would wonder why we spend over $30k on a tiny two-seater with next to no trunk space. This thread will get really wild when the girls who bought VW Beetles because of the little flower vase in the dashboard join in...

Speaking of hybrid cars, they're more eco-friendly for now given the limited supply of fossil fuels, but electricity production really isn't as eco-friendly as hybrid automakers would like consumers to think. Conventional means of producing electricity spews out more than its fair share of damaging pollutants. In the long run, either some other source of power needs to be found, or cleaner means of producing electricity need to be adopted. They are available right now, but are either too expensive or too inefficient to be commercially viable.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:56 AM

Hybrids recharge themselves, don't they? I think that arguement is quite valid in the case of all electric cars.

A real issue with Hybrids is battery replacement and disposal, as i-pod owners have learned, batteries don't last forever. Both cost to the owner and enviormental damage are big issues here.

Still, this is stuff we need to be developing, because someday not too long from now, we run out of the dino-juice. Demands for oil continue to grow, for example China is about to get an auto industry.

The world oil supply has to do with much more than just cars, EVERYTHING in our world depends on oil.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:01 AM

I've been reading this forum for over a year, but this is the first time I've been compelled to post. I thought my perspective would be valuable in this thread; I own a 6MT TSX and my parents drive a new Prius.

On the Prius vs. TSX issue:

1. My parents' Prius was MSRP (only idiots are paying over), and my TSX was $500 under MSRP. So the cost difference is about $4k (not chump change).

2. The Prius is a 5-door hatch, the TSX is a 4-door sedan. My parents own an energy conservation business, and they have to haul supplies quite often. The Prius, with its hatch and fold-down rear seats, was not only more practical, but the car fits the image of their company.

3. Also consider the Prius takes Regular, and the TSX requires Premium. I average about 27-31 MPG with my TSX, and my parents get 45-50 MPG with the Prius. So the overall gas cost for the Prius is about half the TSX.

4. The back seats in the Prius have far more legroom than the TSX.

5. The Prius has a forgiving, soccer-mom ride. The TSX has low-profiles tires and relatively stiff suspension. Good for carving up the curves, but uncomfortable for many drivers.

In summary, both cars offer good value for the money, and each is the ideal car for their respective niche.

On the Mazda6 vs. TSX debate:

1. A Mazda6 has all the downsides of a Ford car (crappy resale, poor quality, ugly interior), coupled with the downsides of a Mazda (expensive maintenance, lousy dealer network, etc).

2. Mazda6s are MUCH more common than the TSX. Not only do they look like a Ford Contour, they are almost as common on the road. The TSX is a lower-volume car and is more unique.

3. Over 5 years, the poor resale on the Mazda and the great resale on the Acura means that the 'cheaper' Mazda6 is actually more expensive.

4. The interior of the Mazda6 is OK, but I wouldn't call it 'luxury' by any stretch. The TSX interior is one of the best in any price range.

5. The Acura has a year and 14k mile longer warranty. Even though you won't need to use it, because the TSX has Honda reliability. Meanwhile, Mazda6's are already rusting (check the Mazda boards). The worst TSX problem some owners are having is mild door rattles. The TSX has had 2 recalls, for incredibly minor things (a wire harness in the trunk and a condensation problem in the headlights), neither of which has any serious potential to cause injury. Meanwhile, we all know Ford doesn't consider doing a recall unless the cost of settling the impending wrongful-death lawsuits exceeds the cost of a recall.

6. The MT in the TSX is the same unit as the S2K, with slightly longer throws. I don't need to tell you all how sweet this thing shifts. Meanwhile, the clunky shifter on the Mazda6 feels like a truck's.

Considering all these factors, and the fact that the Mazda6 and TSX have nearly identical handling characteristics and minimal acceleration differences (the v6 Mazda6 is half a second faster to 60 than the TSX, and the i4 Mazda is half a second slower than the TSX), it is easy to see why many people chose the TSX over the Maz6. .
Old 01-06-2005, 06:33 PM

Coming from an enthusiasts point of view I see where Rai has a point here. The Prius looks kind of dorky , costs way to much for a glorified economy car,and who knows what the future costs of repairing this thing is much less what that battery is going to cost to replace.
With only a few thousand more you can get the TSX which should be a better car in every respect except that it does not achieve the same fuel pump performance of the Prius .
So if fuel economy or being green is your concern then go with the Prius or if you want the virtues of an Accord mixed with the sportiness of the S then you go with the TSX .
Personally if you want to save fuel then a Civic HX 5 speed is a better choice being 5 to 7 thousand cheaper than a Prius and still achieving 37.6 mpg . In 15,000 miles a yr driving an HX only uses 83 more gallons than the Prius. That takes a whopping 34 yrs of driving to at least break even to that extra 5 grand in purchase price.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the answer is marketing. If it were a Honda TSX, and Honda put it all over the news to give it an image. People would buy it. The Acura brand is like a deterrent to some people who think they cannot afford the cars.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:23 PM

well obviously everyone has their own opinions on the mazda6 and tsx deal. the mazda6 may have the performance edge, if that's actually true, and even then, the TSX refinement in luxury and well roundedness won't be beat by the mazda6. i personally think it's the best "luxury" sporty sedan you can get for under 30k.

yes, gas prices probably won't be crazy high as many think they would, but i believe people need to have the mentality of somewhat saving gas. It WILL run out one day, and the thing is, i don't want to have to deal with the pollution part, either. I'm thinking that after around 10 years, there's going to be a lot of hybrid/diesel alternatives.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by SilverRSXJezus,Jan 7 2005, 11:23 PM
I'm thinking that after around 10 years, there's going to be a lot of hybrid/diesel alternatives.
Hopefully not diesel. Diesel has superior efficiency, but is infamous for producing soot.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Banned

I know Rai said "I don't mean to offend anyone..." but he greatly offended me with this comparison. Please ban him! Just kidding!