Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I Don't mean to offend anyone but, who'd buy a

Old 01-02-2005, 09:21 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the Prius is a cool car. I wouldn't mind having one for an in-city commuter beater.

It wouldn't be about a balance-sheet cost benefit thing - it would be the idea of driving a eco-friendly transportation device that has a decent amount of people and stuff hauling ability.

Can't really envision one as my *only* car - but nice for mundane trips/chores etc.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just my opinion..but i think the TSX is probably the best sporty luxury sedan you can get for under 30k. it doesn't have a ton of hp, sure, and it's still FWD, but from what i've heard and read, it handles great, decent acceleration, the looks of the interior/exterior is subjective but i love it, HIDs standard, etc. it's just a really well rounded car.

prius and other hybrids may not be cost efficient these days..but as time passes, we all know that gas will cost more, so by the it'll probably be the standard thing unless we find another way to generate power. most of the people who buy hybrids are probably those who care about the environment and etc, green people. they don't care if it doesn't have the refinement of lexus, or if it accelerates nicely, it's just more satisfying to drive an efficient car.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:57 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

What's all this talk about gas prices going up? I'm paying $1.58/gal right now (as compared to $2.01/gal six months ago) and the prices keep going down. Granted, we're not quite at the $1.30/gal I was paying this time last year, but prices don't really seem to be rising (certainly not significantly rising). We get the occasional "gas panic" (and I'm not talking about gastrointestinal issues) but I don't see gas as necessarily getting a whole lot more expensive in the near future. My understanding (as someone that works in the oil and gas field) is that we have more known reserves of oil/gas (right now) than we've used to date in history. Some of it is much more expensive to obtain (deep sea drilling and such) but considering the size of the reserves, the actual cost per barrel shouldn't be that much more (if at all).

Thoughts?

Oh, and I'm with rai - hard to beat the TSX in its price category, in performance, efficiency, and luxury. I hope to make it my wife's next car.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:26 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm looking forward to -not just hybrids- but all cars getting better gas mileage without sacrifice. Like I just read the new 3.0L in the BMW gets significantly more power as well as better gas mileage. That's one of the benifits of direct injection engines.

Cars like the 300C hemi and the new Odyssey have cylinder deactivation. Problem is, (not really a problem), we're getting a heck of a lot more performance than we had 10 years ago. Maybe the fuel mileage isn't getting a lot better, but performance for MPGs is better than ever (I think).

Heck I owned a VW Fox with 81hp and today a 160hp Accord gets better gas mileage, is bigger all around, and accelerates a lot faster. That's what I call progress.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:31 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Once Honda/Toyota recovers their initial R&D costs, I'm sure prices will go down, and maintenance/repairs will be easier and cheaper.

I guess people just want to "do the right thing." (And I'm glad they do ).

I too have done a cost benefit analysis, and for me, I'd have to be driving something like 5 years before it would make sense to pick a Civic Hybrid over, say a HX (and that's taking into consideration fuel savings + tax breaks). I assumed it would cost the same to do maintenance on both, which is probably an invalid assumption...

Obviously, the more you drive, the easier it would be to justify getting a hybrid.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:35 AM

why drive a car when you can get a bus pass or train a donkey?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:41 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lets mix this up a little with two cars which are more comparible.

Acura TSX vs. Honda Accord Hybrid

a tsx w/ navi is about the same price as the accord hybrid, both have healthy power, both seat 4 people comfortably, etc, etc..

i think this would be a tougher decision to make rather than the prius vs tsx debate
Old 01-03-2005, 11:39 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

While my heart would say "Get the TSX", I think my common sense would say "Get the Accord". Better power, better mileage, less running costs, more room, and better acceleration to offset sportiness, somewhat more luxury, and better looks. If I wasn't married, though, I'd probably still grab the TSX. Married, the Accord would be the immediate choice.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by steve c,Jan 1 2005, 01:34 PM
The question I ask is who would buy a TSX?

Cheaper cars are better and much better cars are only a few grand more.
I completely agree. $27,000 for a base TSX is ridiculous. I'd say it's overpriced by at least 10%.

If I were in the market for a semi-sporty mid-size sedan, I'd be considering cars like a v6 Mazda 6 for $3700 less or awd turbo Subaru Legacy GT for $1000 less...

Andrew
Old 01-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Banned

Car and Driver could not stop praising the TSX. It not only made their 10-Best list, but they could not stop praising it. Granted I have not driven it, it sounds like an awesome car for the price. Anyone who knocks on it should go take a drive and see. It's not a sports car, but maybe it'll leave a great impression.

Quick Reply: I Don't mean to offend anyone but, who'd buy a