Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I Don't mean to offend anyone but, who'd buy a

Old 01-01-2005, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand it either, may be those Prius owners would feel better about our planet by doing so.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'm glad there is a healthy demand for hybrids. If nobody was interested in them, then automakers really have no incentive to create or finance what I imagine is a very expensive research and development project. Kudos to anybody who buys a hybrid.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:15 PM

+ granola chicks dig hybrids.

Hybrids may not be the best thing now, but gas prices aren't getting any cheaper, and in the long run, hybrids will be a viable alternative. I just don't think enough mechanics know how to work on them and the technology needs a few generations to work the kinks out.

hybrids? today, no way. tommorrow, probably.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:27 PM

Like what was said above it's a statement (PZEV emissions, burns a lot less gas), not to mention there are a lot of people that drive more than 12,000 miles a year, to them this makes more sense. Another factor is that it saves them even more time in going to the gas station to fill up. Small savings in time, but can be big for some people.

The reason why the Prius is more popular than the Insight despite less gas mileage is that it has far more functionality. We (my family) took a look at the Prius and it has 4 real seats ( as much as a Camry), decent trunk space, etc of a regular car. A Insight does not.

What we will probably see in the future are hybrids that offer family performance (Prius/Civic, etc.) or a displacement on demand type hybrid, where you get a regular engine but when power is requested the hybrid unit kicks in, as well as cylinder bank shutdown (ala the new Accord) where functionality is essentially the same/seamless or better, but the gas mileage increases by quite a bit.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=rai,Jan 1 2005, 07:16 AM] I know the TSX cost's a bit more (?) don't know about real price b/c the Prius is going for MSRP.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Jan 1 2005, 11:01 AM
I personally dont think there are any better cars in its class, but what do you think is a better car?
Don't mind Stevec! He knocks on all Honda/Acura cars, even the good ones.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:51 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Officer_down,Jan 1 2005, 10:26 PM] Your comparison and view are very absurd, Rai.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:59 AM

I think the Prius preforms great for the money. It depends on how you define "performance". Do you think the Insight is worth at least $20k? After options and tax, an Insight will be only a few grand less, and that only seats two people, with lower or similar MPG.

Maybe the Prius is expensive for what it is and does, but without support for the technology, we're not ever going to see a less expensive hybrid.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rai,Jan 2 2005, 07:51 AM
Ha, I said "I don't mean to offend anyone" I guess that really means "I know this will offend someone but who cares"

I'm 39 (almost over the hill).

I really don't hate the Prius, I think it's neat, But you do have to give up a lot for your high mileage. Not in the same way as if you has a 67hp Justy, but you really aren't getting the performance of a $22K car for the money.

To me, the gas mileage doesn't pay for itself, so you're paying a premium for nothing. As you said, go hug a tree until the battery has to be ash-canned.

To me the only "real-car" hybrid is the Accord or the RX400 where you get something extra. You get real car performance plus better gas mileage. You can have your cake and eat it too.

BTW sorry to make people sad but I'm just trying to create a debate. I guess b/c I'm a performance car guy I don't really care as much about the gas mileage. For example a 430M probably gets in the low teens on average (or less) and it's really not practical. However I'd give my eye teeth to own one. To me the Prius (while nice) is the anti-430M.
And I thought you were a little kid.

But as I've said, the Prius is not about the typical "performance", it is about everything else that I've stated. What I found absurd wasn't your views but your comparison to the TSX, which has nothing common with the Prius except four doors and back seats. Even in price, the TSX is usually in the high 20's, while the Prius low 20's.

I can understand that you don't care about the saving gas, but to other people, they see more than just saving gas, it's also the image and status of saving gas, and everything else I've stated previously.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by LUV2REV,Jan 1 2005, 02:41 PM
Speak up. What cheaper car is better ? An SRT-4 ?? (amenities and performance I speak of) What car that costs a few thousand more is better ? A base 325i costs about $8500 more than a TSX here in Canada, the TSX is much better equipped and matches or beats the 325i's performance in nearly ALL regards.
seriously

Quick Reply: I Don't mean to offend anyone but, who'd buy a