Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I Don't mean to offend anyone but, who'd buy a

Old 01-01-2005, 06:16 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I Don't mean to offend anyone but, who'd buy a

I know the TSX cost's a bit more (?) don't know about real price b/c the Prius is going for MSRP.

But to me it's impossible to understand why anyone would pick a Prius over a nice car like the TSX or other nice "real" cars??

So you save $5 a week on gas. Big deal. If you're spending $20K++ for a car you can afford gas.

IMO the TSX will out perform, out class, out everything a Prius can do, and still gets very good gas mileage.

Old 01-01-2005, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing the TSX doesn't get the kind of in-town mileage a Prius does, or an Insight for that matter. What are the TSX's MPG rating anyways? Mid-high 20s town/hwy? High 20s/low 30s town/hwy?

The TSX would certainly be the cheaper car to fix. I was looking at prices for repairs on the previous generation Prius...according to the source I read (consumerguide.com), if the auto tranny ever went out, it would cost someone who's out of warranty almost *$7000* US DOLLARS to get it fixed. OUCH. And that's that PREVIOUS gen Prius, not the new one. I like the Prius for what it does, but knowing that, I'd probably skip it and get a TDI VW or a Honda Hybrid.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wtf what kind of comparison is this?
Old 01-01-2005, 08:04 AM

ERRRRORRR DOES NOT COMPUTE
Old 01-01-2005, 08:30 AM

To me it's impossible to understand why anyone would pick these two cars to compare over so many other nice car comparisons.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:42 AM

Because most car shoppers let their emotions do the picking for them. Often there is no attempt to analyze the pluses and minuses of each model. They simply buy into some preconceived notions, and refuse to listen to reasons. This is how soccer moms end up with Chevy Suburbans, or guys whose F-150 have never lifted anything heavier than an Ikea bookshelf.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:09 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I think what rai is trying to ask is not about the specific Prius vs TSX comparison. He's wondering about a more general question - "Why buy a hybrid car at all?"

I did some calculations a while back about regular vs hybrid Civics. The extra initial cost of the hybrid is offset with the lower gas consumption after something like 10 years of driving. (I don't remember the exact number.)

So cost savings isn't really a good reason to go hybrid - I think Honda realizes this, considering the direction they went with the Accord Hybrid.

It's more of a "right-thing-to-do" thing, I think. You get the Prius to save the planet.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:14 AM

PRIUS are going for 3000 over sticker. In cali you get a tax break, and soon you can get in the carpool lane with only one person, the cost benefit is about 10 years.
MAtt
Old 01-01-2005, 09:24 AM

The Prius is a more 'economy friendly' car than the TSX...
Old 01-01-2005, 09:31 AM

If you sell sandbags in sahara, there will be people who buy them.
I don't understand why anyone would get a Prius either.. It makes no sense to me.

Quick Reply: I Don't mean to offend anyone but, who'd buy a