Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai V8 coupe

Old 05-15-2007, 08:25 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonjm,May 15 2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks for your criticisms.

I used to own a 6th gen Accord. The gas mileage i got was no where near what the guys are getting today in their Sonata, regardless of the 'EPA' sticker. And lets not forget about the horrible transmission life which spanned almost every paralell car, including the Acura line.

No one can really gauge Hyundai's engineering toolkit and thats why I say 1-5 years. I say 1 because they're smart and outsource their Engine and suspension designs to the likes of Lotus and Yamaha. In some cases even Mitsubishi. We also know how involved outside firms are with the panel designs of their cars from minute to full blown. I say 5 only because it's not at all questionable that they have some of the best engineers working there, they include many top engineers that have worked at Subaru and from some U.S. firms we all know and love (sometimes) but by their market goals. An issue most International auto firms have to deal with. Hyundai still has a home market that isn't Government policy forced, or have a high standard of living to support volume turnover. Things which fundamentally affect requirements design of an automobile from the very start, before anything can even be defined.

However, taking their engineering toolkit out of their loop, their Factories are cream of the crop. Every advanced machine and technique from Management to Industrial production are being utilized there.

An attribute I see growing in Hyundai that has rubbed off from their Japanese counter parts is their patience and perseverance. One trait that they have the others don't is market readability. They actually listen to the market, albeit in conjunction with their patience factor.

It's quite possible that in 20 years, Hyundai could actually be the number one car manufacturer in terms of quality, reliability and customer satisfaction. Not volume though. If they happen to also be a volume leader it's because they're production facilities are the talk of the town, unsurpassed by anyone.

::Note:: I am not at all affiliated with Hyundai or it's subsidiaries. These thoughts and opinions are my own which I feel free to express here in this forum. Do not accept these or any opinions from me without due diligence of your own partaking.
I agree.
Hyundai, and Kia for that matter, has really stepped up and learned quickly what the market demands of them, unfortunately they're still struggling with their image, a past mistake that I'm sure motivates them that much more.
I dunno if this is the enthusiast in me talking, but I feel that Hyundai needs an exciting vehicle to really stir up the mags and have a poster child for its ads. It is because of this I feel that Hyundai is putting a lot (or maybe I'm just being hopeful because I hear rwd and I4 turbo, I dunno) efforts into getting this car right.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting...
Old 05-16-2007, 12:05 AM

it seems like they are already stirring up a lot of emotions with their new concept genesis. Some of their innovative features include: 5 link suspension composed of forged aluminum, their new BH rear drive architecture that is mounted onto some STURDY a$$ subframe, high tensile steel that has higher rigidity than that of E class and 5 series while being a lot lighter, the super efficient 4.6 liter with variable valve timing and variable induction, and the list only goes on. Hyundai is doing something that Toyota and Honda took decades to do in a matter of few years. And they are receiving the attention alright. Geesh, i fee like a hyundai spokesperson. I need to get my commission.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:13 AM

Good on Hyundai for it's lightning fast growth - The learning curve in relation to design, quality and engineering has propelled the company forward.

I heard that their manufacturing plant is using proven management methadologies in "Lean Management" and "Kaizen" manufacturing principles.

Honda pioneered this manufacturing technique some 20 years ago and is till improving it's processes.

Many manufacturing based companies are employing these same techniques to help them reach gorwth and profits so I am not so surprised at Hyundai's growth rate.

The coupe it self should be very interesting and yet another benchmark for other car manufacturers.