Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai Rumored to be Planning Porsche 911, Nissan GT-R Rival

Old 07-12-2011, 05:34 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

He's not stock.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me see the car and the performance first. Then I'll tell you if I like it or not. Until then, I'll just drop it in the bucket of "big car, big motor". I will say I am glad they are making it though. More selection is better for the consumers!
Old 07-13-2011, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by S2020' timestamp='1310496447' post='20771782
[quote name='ZDan' timestamp='1310478755' post='20770690']
Point is, the world doesn't *need* yet another $80k + supercar, we have PLENTY. Yet another one, with a Hyundai badge? What's the point?

What would be NICE would be for someone to make a small/simple/cheap/lightweight sports car. There's only ONE in the U.S. market at the moment!

IMO that would've been a much better move on Hyundai's part.
the world doesn't need another social website from some college kid. it already has myspace and friendster. what's this facebook thingy? what's the point?
the world doesn't need an oversized iphone that shares the name with a woman sanitary oject.
the world doesn't need another convertible. We already have the Z3, SLK, Boxster, Audi TT, and Miata. Why does Honda need to make this SSM thingy?
nothing ventured, nothing gained is what I have to add.
I'm sure that Hyundai's effort will be Facebook to Porsche's/Nissan's myspace/friendster...

[/quote]

Your kidding right?
Old 07-13-2011, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll withhold judgment until/if I learn more details, but I really like the idea of a supercar w/ a 10 year powertrain warranty.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tak_one_77
Originally Posted by ZDan' timestamp='1310499317' post='20772007
[quote name='S2020' timestamp='1310496447' post='20771782']
Point is, the world doesn't *need* yet another $80k + supercar, we have PLENTY. Yet another one, with a Hyundai badge? What's the point?

What would be NICE would be for someone to make a small/simple/cheap/lightweight sports car. There's only ONE in the U.S. market at the moment!

the world doesn't need another social website from some college kid. it already has myspace and friendster. what's this facebook thingy? what's the point?
the world doesn't need an oversized iphone that shares the name with a woman sanitary oject.
the world doesn't need another convertible. We already have the Z3, SLK, Boxster, Audi TT, and Miata. Why does Honda need to make this SSM thingy?
I'm sure that Hyundai's effort will be Facebook to Porsche's/Nissan's myspace/friendster...

[/quote]

Your kidding right?
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by cbehney
Originally Posted by tak_one_77' timestamp='1310557295' post='20774112
[quote name='ZDan' timestamp='1310499317' post='20772007']
[quote name='S2020' timestamp='1310496447' post='20771782']

[/quote]

Your kidding right?
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.
[/quote]

Let's hope so.

You guys in the US can pick a C4s up for 80 odd MSRP right?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
He's not stock.
An 11 5.0 GT with full bolt-ons, gears, and a custom tune is still not as fast as a bonestock Z06.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:56 PM

so, everyone should have seen that coming that people would say 1 of 2 things:
1. lmao wtf $80k for a hyundai
2. that's what the big three said about the japanese

but let's be realistic, YES, it is too soon. They're rapidly improving their product and their image, but they haven't built a class leading expensive vehicle yet. their strategy works better in lower priced, less refined quality tiers (sonata, genesis) than it does in the equus. people keep talking about the new Tau V8 but that alone isn't going to turn the car into an S Class.
Hyundai has fallen short on the expensive stuff so far in the area of R&D, refinement, etc. Ie it doesn't ride like an s class, handle like a 5 series, etc. They're playing with gimmicks like ipads and service models, which is fine if that is how you want to differentiate. But it doesn't make your car better.
Sports cars like the GTR and 911 live and die by their technological innovation in the area of performance and chassis tuning, and hyundai hasn't shown a desire to really compete in these areas yet. it's sort of counter to their strategy of offering more for less...you can pack all sorts of features and specs into a car if you save it back in development costs, materials, etc.

I'm not saying hyundai can't do it eventually, but right now I would fully expect them to offer this vehicle with competitive power and specs on paper. I would also expect a lack of refinement and substantially less amazing track times in the hands of a professional. In that price range, those are big misses.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

^ Good post.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by RickIsYoDaddy
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...t-r-rival.html

First Hyundai introduced the Genesis coupe and sedan, taking on everything from the G37 Coupe to the BMW 5 Series. Then came the Equus, promising to rival the Mercedes S-Class. What’s next? Rumors would indicate the Korean brand is eying a rival to sports cars like the Porsche 911 and Nissan GT-R.

Denied by Hyundai Motor America CEO John Krafcik, the suggestion is that a rear-drive sports car is in the works, likely using a version o the new 5.0-liter Tau V8 engine, which makes 429-hp in the Genesis R-Spec model, and certainly deserves to fulfill its hopes and dreams in a two-door. Pricing for the new model would also match German and Japanese rivals, with an MSRP somewhere between $80,000 and $100,000.

Reported by (and perhaps originating from), the folks at Inside Line, the new Hyundai sports car would even get an iPad owners manual. Like with the Equus, it would then share in all of the associated perks, like booking service online and having a Hyundai rep show up at your house or office to whisk it away when service is required.

$80-100k for a Hyundai? they are out of their minds. Ive seen the Equus in Korea, and sorry, it does not compare to the Benz.
Equus $58,000 loaded
S550 ~$100,000 comparably equipped

No, really? The car that costs 40% less isn't as good. I could definitely see a SL550 competitor coming from Hyundai in a few years coming in at around $60-70k. I don't see a 911 or GT-R. That's not Hyundai's thing. Who knows though, if the Velocter turns Hyundai's reputation for making well built but boring cars around maybe. Where all Hyundai's models have fallen short is in driving dynamics. That's not so evident in the Sonata and below because everything is unrefined and handles poorly in those segments. The Genesis does ride quite a bit better than the Sonata, but it's not up to BMW or Mercedes standards in terms of dynamics, nor is it close to Lexus in comfort. It's basically half way between a upscale sedan (Taurus, Avalon, 300C) and a luxury car. Given the price that's pretty damn impressive, I'd say. Undercutting works pretty well in that segment. Lexus isn't close the Germans either in terms of dynamics but its good value. What Lexus has that Hyundai can't seem to get quite right is ride quality.

Of course, that didn't stop Toyota from building the LFA so who knows.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Rumored to be Planning Porsche 911, Nissan GT-R Rival