Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai Rumored to be Planning Porsche 911, Nissan GT-R Rival

Old 07-12-2011, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any car company can make any type of car.

All these supercars are engineering exercises at this point. Lexus makes a rediculous supercar that loses money, Volkswagan ditto. Hyundai is more than capable of doing the same, they may be willing to make a $80K car that they lose $200K a copy on just so they can say they sell a GTR alternative. Lets face it, to build something as fast, boring and ugly as the GTR is no great accomplishment. Unless you make money on each car produced like the tradition supercar makers do, then it is just an adverisement for their engineering departments.

I'd rather see someone build an Elise knockoff for $25K than another big, fast, ugly ricer for $100K.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by [DT
;20768982]I'm not sure they've generated enough brand or model equity to justify a $80K+ price point. I know the GT-R is just a Nissan and the ZR-1 just a Chevy, but consider the history of the vehicles [models], including contributions to Motorsport.
thats exactly what this car is supposed to do... establish credibility in the performance domain, not to appeal to the camry crowd with whom they already have a foothold.

given the r&d to bring this car to market, it might even be sold at a loss

does noone else have a macro business view of this situation?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm with ZDan on this

Though overall hats off to Hyundai for actually having the balls to make sports cars, unlike another company we know...
Old 07-12-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by smurf2k
thats exactly what this car is supposed to do... establish credibility in the performance domain, not to appeal to the camry crowd with whom they already have a foothold.

given the r&d to bring this car to market, it might even be sold at a loss

does noone else have a macro business view of this situation?

Except it's a sudden shift where other manufacturers ramped up to this price segment incrementally, and "did their time". This is a radical jump in market segment, in a short term - obviously to expand your market share you have to explore new segments, yeah, that's a pretty simple concept taught in Business 101.

People use the NSX as a reference, but in retrospect, that car sold few units, didn't create a continued segment for Honda (hell, they don't even have a mid-priced sports market entry anymore, let alone a $75K+ offering), and ultimately, even if it did show off Honda's engineering capacity, did it matter other than an interesting footnote in Honda's history?

I think plenty of us understand the business play here, we just don't think it's ultimately going to be a significant positive result for Hyundai, i.e., halo effect <> cars sold <> market expansion <> etc.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I'm with ZDan on this

Though overall hats off to Hyundai for actually having the balls to make sports cars, unlike another company we know...
One more for the MX-5 competitor with more horsepower. That 274 h.p. turbo 4 would be ok.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:21 AM

Hyundai needs to win some IMSA races or SUPER GT or something, anything. They aren't competitive in any international circuits, there's no racing heritage. IMO that's how you establish supercar credibility.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by [DT
;20770994]People use the NSX as a reference, but in retrospect, that car sold few units, didn't create a continued segment for Honda (hell, they don't even have a mid-priced sports market entry anymore, let alone a $75K+ offering), and ultimately, even if it did show off Honda's engineering capacity, did it matter other than an interesting footnote in Honda's history?
"Continued segment" maybe not, but isn't that because they chose not to focus on it? Isn't it possible that there would be no such thing as "honda enthusiasts" if they didn't make the NSX? Would they have made the s2k the way that they did if they didn't first make the NSX?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Point is, the world doesn't *need* yet another $80k + supercar, we have PLENTY. Yet another one, with a Hyundai badge? What's the point?

What would be NICE would be for someone to make a small/simple/cheap/lightweight sports car. There's only ONE in the U.S. market at the moment!

IMO that would've been a much better move on Hyundai's part.
the world doesn't need another social website from some college kid. it already has myspace and friendster. what's this facebook thingy? what's the point?
the world doesn't need an oversized iphone that shares the name with a woman sanitary oject.
the world doesn't need another convertible. We already have the Z3, SLK, Boxster, Audi TT, and Miata. Why does Honda need to make this SSM thingy?
nothing ventured, nothing gained is what I have to add.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020
Originally Posted by ZDan' timestamp='1310478755' post='20770690
Point is, the world doesn't *need* yet another $80k + supercar, we have PLENTY. Yet another one, with a Hyundai badge? What's the point?

What would be NICE would be for someone to make a small/simple/cheap/lightweight sports car. There's only ONE in the U.S. market at the moment!

IMO that would've been a much better move on Hyundai's part.
the world doesn't need another social website from some college kid. it already has myspace and friendster. what's this facebook thingy? what's the point?
the world doesn't need an oversized iphone that shares the name with a woman sanitary oject.
the world doesn't need another convertible. We already have the Z3, SLK, Boxster, Audi TT, and Miata. Why does Honda need to make this SSM thingy?
nothing ventured, nothing gained is what I have to add.
Point missed yet again...

I'm sure that Hyundai's effort will be Facebook to Porsche's/Nissan's myspace/friendster...

Point *still* is, it would be far more adventurous and potentially rewarding for *some*body to build a smaller/simpler/cheaper/lighter-weight sports/sporty car than to aim for a segment that is well-populated with strong contenders, AND it would be FAR more relevant to most enthusiasts.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RickIsYoDaddy
Originally Posted by d1rtyc4r' timestamp='1310413364' post='20768014
Hmmm, you personally cannot afford a 80-100k car so it automatically = LMAO? Judging by your incredible forum handle (and the "garage queen" you drive), I'm not surprised at your knee jerk reaction.
Whats wrong with my garage car? I can afford an 80k car, so please dont be the retard who just joined this forum and start bashing on people, go look like an ass elsewhere. Ive always loved Mustangs and Ive owned 4 of them. You want to think about track in my car? I run 11s on the 1/4, faster than a new z06 and do the better numbers than an M3 around a track, for a fraction of the cost of an M3 or a Z06. Ive also owned an S2000, Mercedes, a Hyundai, a Kia, and several other cars. Im laughing at the fact that Hyundai is trying to sell a car that expensive. Ive seen their cars, lived in Korea, drove on the Hyundai test track (pretty shitty actually), and saw their progression as a company. Do I think Hyundai is doing MUCH better than before, hell yeah. Do I think they can pull off an $80-100k car to rival the GTR and 911s? No. If anything Hyundai needs to focus on that Equus. Ive been in them before, and they are nowhere near the quality of a BMW or Benz. If hyundai really wants do something, they can bring some competition to the M3/5.0 level. What I see Hyundai trying to do is move out of the class they are known for. They are known for cheap eco cars that are pretty reliable. They want to get into being that luxury brand name.

I think that's what GM said about Toyota and Honda 40 years ago and what BMW and Benz said about Lexus and Infiniti 20 years ago.
Thats understandable, but as of right now and the last model Equus I saw in Korea last year, its not at the level it needs to be at to compare to a Benz/BMW.
Just an FYI, your '11 GT 5.0 would get absolutely raped by a Z06 in the 1/4 mile. Bone stock Z06's run low 11's @ 121-125~ MPH. '11 5.0's run low-mid 12's @ 112-113 MPH.

So yeah... you'd have to spend thousands to even get close to a bonestock Z06, and that's just in a straight line. Z06 would rape the 5.0 around corners.

Hell, a previous gen C5 Z06 would spank the '11 5.0.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Rumored to be Planning Porsche 911, Nissan GT-R Rival