Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai Rumored to be Planning Porsche 911, Nissan GT-R Rival

Old 07-11-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyundai Rumored to be Planning Porsche 911, Nissan GT-R Rival

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...t-r-rival.html

First Hyundai introduced the Genesis coupe and sedan, taking on everything from the G37 Coupe to the BMW 5 Series. Then came the Equus, promising to rival the Mercedes S-Class. What’s next? Rumors would indicate the Korean brand is eying a rival to sports cars like the Porsche 911 and Nissan GT-R.

Denied by Hyundai Motor America CEO John Krafcik, the suggestion is that a rear-drive sports car is in the works, likely using a version o the new 5.0-liter Tau V8 engine, which makes 429-hp in the Genesis R-Spec model, and certainly deserves to fulfill its hopes and dreams in a two-door. Pricing for the new model would also match German and Japanese rivals, with an MSRP somewhere between $80,000 and $100,000.

Reported by (and perhaps originating from), the folks at Inside Line, the new Hyundai sports car would even get an iPad owners manual. Like with the Equus, it would then share in all of the associated perks, like booking service online and having a Hyundai rep show up at your house or office to whisk it away when service is required.

$80-100k for a Hyundai? they are out of their minds. Ive seen the Equus in Korea, and sorry, it does not compare to the Benz.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:28 AM

love the idea, but is it a little too fast too soon?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm, you personally cannot afford a 80-100k car so it automatically = LMAO? Judging by your incredible forum handle (and the "garage queen" you drive), I'm not surprised at your knee jerk reaction.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by RickIsYoDaddy
$80-100k for a Hyundai? they are out of their minds. Ive seen the Equus in Korea, and sorry, it does not compare to the Benz.
I think that's what GM said about Toyota and Honda 40 years ago and what BMW and Benz said about Lexus and Infiniti 20 years ago.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You could argue that Porsche and Mercedes are overpriced to begin with. However I'm VERY interested to see if they can come up with something that can go toe to toe with a GTR in that price range. Given that they are foregoing AWD, I kind of doubt it. Either way, I'm rooting for Hyundai. Only a fool would count them out at this point given what they have accomplished in the last several years.

Everyone said LOLWTFBBQ!!!1111 when Nissan said they were building a $85k supercar and guess what? No one is laughing anymore.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:28 PM

Yeah I'm excited to see what they come up with. Believe it or not... Hyundai scares the shit out of other manufactures.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:34 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Bespoke chassis to take on Porsche and Nissan? Highly unlikely.

However, I do think a Genesis Coupe (or car based that chassis) could house the Tau V8 and make a compelling argument to take on something like the M3, Mustang GT, Chevy Camaro, or the like (ie, big, V8, RWD GT cars).
Old 07-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by omairtheman1
Hyundai scares the shit out of other manufactures.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Everyone said LOLWTFBBQ!!!1111 when Nissan said they were building a $85k supercar and guess what? No one is laughing anymore.
Not everybody. Many of us were already aware of the Skyline even if it hadn't been available in the US. Hyundai certainly does not have a long history of fine automobiles, so I think it is entirely reasonable to view this kind of speculation with a certain degree of skepticism.

And realistically, at the projected price range, how many cars are Hyundai going to sell? How many Equus have they sold in the US so far, ~1,400? Their sales leaders are the Sonata and Elantra, addressing an entirely different market than upper-end sports cars. Can they build a $80-100K sports car? I don't see why not. Will anyone buy it? That's the more important question, and if they can't sell more than 3000 luxury sedans a year, I don't expect them to be able sell a much more expensive sports car in larger numbers.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1310414090' post='20768066
Not everybody. Many of us were already aware of the Skyline even if it hadn't been available in the US. Hyundai certainly does not have a long history of fine automobiles, so I think it is entirely reasonable to view this kind of speculation with a certain degree of skepticism.

And realistically, at the projected price range, how many cars are Hyundai going to sell? How many Equus have they sold in the US so far, ~1,400? Their sales leaders are the Sonata and Elantra, addressing an entirely different market than upper-end sports cars. Can they build a $80-100K sports car? I don't see why not. Will anyone buy it? That's the more important question, and if they can't sell more than 3000 luxury sedans a year, I don't expect them to be able sell a much more expensive sports car in larger numbers.

Only time will tell... Hyundai has come a long way in the past few years, I wouldn't be surprised if they created a very nice sports car.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Rumored to be Planning Porsche 911, Nissan GT-R Rival