Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai recalling 470k Sonatas for engine replacement

Old 09-30-2015, 05:03 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I bet the Techs are loving it right now.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I feel like this is being missed by most people, because of the VW fiasco. But when an automaker recalls 470k vehicles for engine replacements, that's a big deal in my book.
Word is that they will not automatically replace the engine but check for rod or crank noise and do a replacement if it is found. If not they will just extend the warranty. Right now Hyundai estimates that less than 10,000 engines will need to be replaced in this recall. Hyundai has been dealing with this replacing engines for the last couple of years but periodically are held up for parts (only so many new short blocks in the chain)..

I guess this is a responsible move to identify and deal with the problem. Just disappointing that they would operate a flawed crank machining operation in a brand new factory but I guess screw-ups happen with all manufacturers at times.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1443553643' post='23761255
I feel like this is being missed by most people, because of the VW fiasco. But when an automaker recalls 470k vehicles for engine replacements, that's a big deal in my book.
Word is that they will not automatically replace the engine but check for rod or crank noise and do a replacement if it is found. If not they will just extend the warranty. Right now Hyundai estimates that less than 10,000 engines will need to be replaced in this recall. Hyundai has been dealing with this replacing engines for the last couple of years but periodically are held up for parts (only so many new short blocks in the chain)..

I guess this is a responsible move to identify and deal with the problem. Just disappointing that they would operate a flawed crank machining operation in a brand new factory but I guess screw-ups happen with all manufacturers at times.
Heh, so true. as a parts advisor, there has been a few times where all versions of the motor were not available, with no ETA's (no long or shortblock, new or reman).
Old 09-30-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jarshie
Originally Posted by cdelena' timestamp='1443625749' post='23762094
[quote name='WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1443553643' post='23761255']

Heh, so true. as a parts advisor, there has been a few times where all versions of the motor were not available, with no ETA's (no long or shortblock, new or reman).
[/quote]

we've already been through this with a campaign on the elantra's... my dealership alone has replaced over 100 1.8L short blocks

33,786 vehicle... not sure where they got 470 thousand from, heres a blurb from the anouncment letter... sorry.. not sure why its sideways
[attachment=85715:IMG_3759.JPG]
Attached Thumbnails Hyundai recalling 470k Sonatas for engine replacement-img_3759.jpg  
Old 10-01-2015, 07:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm I wasn't aware of this but makes sense to me now. I had a customer trying to trade in his Hyundai for a honda and he mentioned he's on his 3rd engine with only 18k miles. Unfortunately his car is so far out of equity that he can't trade it in without dishing out a ton of money so it's cheaper for him to have it fixed under warranty again and keep it. That's a shitty situation in my book but he can pursue nj lemon law if it continues
Old 10-08-2015, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by 8.5kallday
Hmm I wasn't aware of this but makes sense to me now. I had a customer trying to trade in his Hyundai for a honda and he mentioned he's on his 3rd engine with only 18k miles. Unfortunately his car is so far out of equity that he can't trade it in without dishing out a ton of money so it's cheaper for him to have it fixed under warranty again and keep it. That's a shitty situation in my book but he can pursue nj lemon law if it continues

sounds like a pretty rare and unusual situation... i know in Canada elantra's that are affected by this issue have a warranty extension.. and once the motor is replaced that replacement part is carrying a life time warranty against repeat failure
Old 10-08-2015, 08:44 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

My boss is getting a new engine in his Sonata (2.0T version).
Old 10-08-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dave_
Originally Posted by 8.5kallday' timestamp='1443714499' post='23763255

sounds like a pretty rare and unusual situation... i know in Canada elantra's that are affected by this issue have a warranty extension.. and once the motor is replaced that replacement part is carrying a life time warranty against repeat failure
well the Hyundai brand doesn't hold its value that great so him owing 22k and his car being worth 12k is the real problem lol
Old 10-09-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 8.5kallday
Originally Posted by dave_' timestamp='1444318929' post='23769775
[quote name='8.5kallday' timestamp='1443714499' post='23763255']

well the Hyundai brand doesn't hold its value that great so him owing 22k and his car being worth 12k is the real problem lol
[/quote]

if he owes 22k on any hyundai that required a motor replacement then he must have carried over a shit tonne of negitive equity in the first place.. thats the real problem these days is customers are only concerned about the payment not the overall purchase... i know people who are burried more than twice the value of the vehicle when it comes to the total financed amount