Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai - more appealing than BMW

Old 07-17-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Nice!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reliability>Appeal
Old 07-17-2009, 02:30 PM

Reliability>Appeal

But it's appeal that sells cars.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=JonBoy,Jul 17 2009, 12:26 PM]Sure, but how appealing can a Buick be, really?
Old 07-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jaguar is doing a good job!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jul 17 2009, 04:44 PM
I absolutely agree 100%, which is why I find this whole thing suspect.

People will positively review a piece of junk if they're loyal to it. As such, there is very little objective information to be gained from the data. It's an interesting look at the buyer profile, though.
The numbers come from owners, so its Buick owners rating their Buicks, Camry owners rating their Camrys. I guess the numbers show Buick owners like their Buicks more than Camry owners like their Camrys, or are more loyal to the brand, no regard for how they feel about each other's cars.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:27 PM

Makes sense to me.

Honda has one car I'd consider appealing, an it's old out dated and slated to die at the end of this year. It's just not a brand that appeals to any significant demographic. Well, okay it does... high school students, but they drive riced out hatches and Integras not new cars. No body else dreams about driving a Honda.

Practicality>Appeal. The majority of car buyers don't have tons of disposable income to chase appeal which is why Honda and Toyota sell so well. They're dependable, reasonably priced, safe, etc. It's for those reasons that they sell and not because buyers find them appealing.

Now, take Buick. To the average s2ki poster a Buick has zero appeal, which is why the average s2ker would never buy one. For Buick's target audience there is a lot of appeal. The typical Buick buyer is a upper middle class retired to geriatric aged who is conservative in their image and wallet. A reasonably priced sensible well appointed American-made floating couch with conservative styling is just what they're looking for. Buick appeals to its target demographic which is why the choose to buy it instead of a vanilla Chevy or Toyota.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by wdavis,Jul 17 2009, 04:40 PM
If I was in the market and in this price point, I'd highly consider this buick just to have something different than all the other boring crap on the road right now.

That's a great looking car. Too bad it's only just in production (is it even sold yet?) and has no bearing on the data we're discussing. Kind of makes my point all over again...

The Enclave was the first vehicle from Buick worth talking about. This one has a fantastic interior and a pretty sharp exterior so we'll call it the second one.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems like this list is fairly skewed (at least realistically)...

Big difference between a car being appealing and actually wanting to buy it.

For example, I find porsche appealing but no way would I buy one.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by [DT
,Jul 17 2009, 02:54 PM] The Corvette capitalizes on this to an amazing degree. It's been built since '53, has a good racing lineage, it's "America's Sports Car", it's a car that has a *huge* emotional component. It's also an outstanding vehicle *but* there are some things that need/should be improved, but you'll almost never see a Corvette enthusiast bad mouth them.
Very true. Its like the C5- I hated the interior - was garbage. Of course all the Corvette fanboys said it had HUD and this and that... and it was just fine.

Then the C6 comes out and they praise how much better the new interior is, finally admitting the faults of the C5 and showing just how "dated" it really was.

The C6 is no gem inside either, but until there is a C7, its "great."

I think brand loyalty plays a huge part in results like this. I mean its not like everyone they ask has even had any seat time in equal competitors, nonetheless something more expensive (i.e. a Genesis buyer really being the market for a 5 series, etc)

Quick Reply: Hyundai - more appealing than BMW