Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai - more appealing than BMW

Old 07-17-2009, 11:32 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts
Thumbs down Hyundai - more appealing than BMW

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/16/hyundai...09-apeal-study/

JD Power study - finds people like Hyundais better. Specifically, people like the Genesis more than the 5 Series.

More than that though, Toyota is pretty much at the bottom of the list - boring cars are not appealing apparently.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

So some of the least reliable vehicles are at the top but the most reliable ones are at the bottom.

Honda is below average in performance, appeal and execution. That seems awfully low for a car that is generally better built than others in the class (certainly not below average), is generally pretty much in the running for performance, and is reliable and fuel efficient.

I mean, seriously, Saturn is higher? Lincoln? Buick has one great vehicle (the Enclave) for overall appeal but really, it's a dead brand.

Dodge? They have to have the worst interiors in the business. I cringe every time I'm in a vehicle they make, in general (the new Ram is quite nice inside, though, I have to admit)...
Old 07-17-2009, 12:15 PM

Well, its how appealing the cars are to owners, not how reliable they are.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:26 PM

Sure, but how appealing can a Buick be, really? It's about performance, execution, and appeal, not just appeal. One part of the equation shouldn't equal a top-ten score...

Given the high return buyer rate of Hondas (and Toyotas), it does seem to stretch belief that they are so poorly reviewed by their owners, don't you think?

And Saturn? I didn't know they sold a car last year.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:30 PM

I dunno - maybe people that buy Toyotas just don't care what they drive, they just want a reliable appliance, so it doesn't have to be appealing.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jul 17 2009, 03:26 PM
Sure, but how appealing can a Buick be, really?
I suspect there's a huge amount of brand loyalty in effect because of the demographic. Maybe older folks who drive Buicks (and will only ever drive Buicks) vs. Toyota owners that aren't jolly about the brand but it fills a need (per SGT's comment above).

I bet there's a large segment of Buick owners that if you gave them $75K they'd buy another Buick and pocket the rest (while I see many low/mid range Japanese brands perceived as "stepping stones" to a "prestigious" brand like BMW/Merc/Audi).

Just speculating out loud
Old 07-17-2009, 12:44 PM

I absolutely agree 100%, which is why I find this whole thing suspect.

People will positively review a piece of junk if they're loyal to it. As such, there is very little objective information to be gained from the data. It's an interesting look at the buyer profile, though.

I guess I'm thinking you could spin this data any way you wanted.

In a negative light:

"Porsche owners are arrogant and think that their car is the best."

"Honda owners finally realize their cars are boring and ugly."

"Buick owners love how they get to nap and drive at the same time."

In a positive light:

"Honda owners are discriminating buyers that always expect improvements from their car manufacturer."

"Cadillac is obviously leaping towards the top with excellent curb and driving appeal."

"Saturn is attracting (really) enthusiastic buyers."
Old 07-17-2009, 12:54 PM

The Corvette capitalizes on this to an amazing degree. It's been built since '53, has a good racing lineage, it's "America's Sports Car", it's a car that has a *huge* emotional component. It's also an outstanding vehicle *but* there are some things that need/should be improved, but you'll almost never see a Corvette enthusiast bad mouth them.

They get incredible user satisfaction marks even in the face of column locks, flying roofs and some of the worst seats ever put in a performance vehicle.

Hell, I said I'd never buy another after a CL mishap trapped me in a parking garage, but there I was, 4 years later, plunking down my money for a Z06.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:57 PM

Well, what's a flying roof or two to an enthusiast? Small price, right?
Old 07-17-2009, 01:03 PM

Hahaha, I actually lost my roof - not the laminate, the WHOLE roof due to user error

Talking on a cellphone, didn't check the latches, suddenly I see stars...

Fortunately it didn't kill anybody since it got seriously airborn and I had the painted and clear roofs so I had a backup.

Quick Reply: Hyundai - more appealing than BMW