Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai Genesis Coupe Spec R

Old 11-05-2009, 09:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Nov 5 2009, 10:14 AM
Joe, would you get it over the 370Z? I've yet to drive the Z but the Genesis (stock) just left me wanting more speed, more power, and better handling. Coming from an S2000, the extra torque was nice but everything else didn't feel nearly as focused or intuitive. It's like there was a layer of fat over everything it did...
Haven't driven the 370Z but in general I'm not a fan of Z cars, just preference. When I drove the Genesis I thought it did everything well but nothing exceptionally. Good torque, decent top end, decent brakes, good handling balance. I probably wouldn't buy a Genesis Coupe myself with all the other options out there but I could see why some people would want to.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

In other words, good but not for you. That's about what I came away with.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower,Nov 5 2009, 07:12 AM
I drove the I4 turbo and it literally did not feel turbocharged, about the same as a Civic LX. IMO the only way to get a Genesis Coupe is the 6 cyl with LSD, that was actually a pretty good car I would consider buying if I was looking at a 370Z type car.
I drove the 2.0T coupe Track model earlier tonight and I was thinking the same thing. I can tell it's got a turbo if I pay attention but it doesn't have the rush of acceleration I was expecting. It's not bad, it just wasn't something that was obvious the way it is in every other turbo car I've driven. Part of it was there is no real connection between rpms and acceleration.

It's not a bad car for the money, I'd say, but the outside does look awkward to my eyes and things like the plastic cover on top of the engine just is tacky. It was relatively tight and quiet and seemed to handle OK, but given the clunky reverse and the shifter being higher and farther to the right than I'm used to, it seemed like a decent first effort but not worth gushing about the drive.

It was dark when I drove it and the interior was black so there wasn't much to see. Pretty decent leather seats, I thought. But then again it was dark and this car was new. All leather seats start out looking nice.

I wouldn't call the suspension sloppy. It was not stiff, however. Fine for regular driving and OK for taking a parking lot entrance kind of quick. Much of road feel comes from tires, and the traction control kicked in at the merest hint of hard driving, so I can't say it was bad. It behaved better than any Hyundai I'd driven until then, that's easy to say.

Engine noise was not bad at idle, but when you get on it there's nothing there to talk about. Kind of buzzy really. You can tell it's a small four cylinder when you pull out in traffic, but it pulls nicely once it gets going, and you can tool around ~2000 rpms without having to downshift to speed up.

It was fast enough, but they set it up so the turbo peaks at a low rpm and therefore gives a broad powerband. Theoretically only, since the sensation is of decreasing acceleration as rpms climb, which is really kind of weak. If you step on it at say 3500 rpms, there's no hit at all, just smooth acceleration. Which doesn't really make for that fast a car - it's not responsive, and feels sluggish almost. It's just not capable of a violent reaction to throttle input, or much of a reaction at all.

Competent, sure. Impressive? Um, no. Maybe coming from Hyundai, but not compared to anything else. If someone really wanted a turbo four in RWD, your options have always been kind of limited, and this is a decent one, I'd say, if you could live with it. It's not what I'd call a fun car, though. Maybe with a V6 it's different.

And I will say I'm glad they made it. It's one more RWD sports coupe in the world.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Good write up.