Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai Genesis Coupe Spec R

Old 11-03-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

I did a lil car window shopping today and the gen coupe is where it should be, a bargain rwd coupe. The internals arent up to snuff when put next to the evo, but it also doesn't cost nearly as much as an EVO (ok sticker for sticker, i know mitsu has been discounting) and you could opt for the v6 instead. Comparing the Z to the gen coupe, the gen coupe offers a great bargain. You can say what you want about weight, but the differences between those two cars isnt that significant especially when you consider the price and practicality. The mustang is really the only competitor but seriously, the prices for those cars are retarded. A fully loaded stang now just about reached 40K, I swore I was looking at a special shelby edition or something, but it was just a fully loaded mustang. Most of the ones on the lot were hovering around 30k, I mean these cars have really become Z money. A walk to the hyundai lot and found that a fully loaded v6 with every option checked was about 30K, so there is some serious value there.
And there are lots of cost conscious car enthusiasts out there, and to be honest those tend to be the most informed/educated since they tend to be the DIYers. What about all them honda folk who turned fwd econo cars into drag racers? How about all those guys who get all excited seeing a 20+ year old live axle corolla? Or guys who still by a used AP1 when you could buy a superios boxster for a good amount of money more. So just cuz you chose the gen coupe over an M3 cuz of cost doesnt mean you're any less of an enthusiast, you just dont make that kind of dough. Ugh, I should just piss on everyone who buys BMWs, Mercs, Porsches, etc etc and knock them for not buying a Ferrari or Lambo, and then knock those guys by saying what, couldnt afford the McClaren F1?
The car isn't up to par with the cars you mentioned because it doesnt cost as much as the cars you mentioned.
I mean this car is just north of 20K in cost, for that kind of money you got the cobalt SS, MS3, WRX, and a handful of other cars, this being the only rwd coupe of the bunch with a 10 year warranty, pretty enticing package. Yeah, the ms3 and ss are probably faster out of the box, but when you start building on the cars and make say 300hp (something very feasible for this engine even if it is lesser than the EVO's 4b11), would you rather have that kind of power with a fwd or rwd car?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Nov 3 2009, 10:17 PM
The car isn't up to par with the cars you mentioned because it doesnt cost as much as the cars you mentioned.
That's not exactly true.

I'm not going to argue any of your points, they're all valid. But there is another perspective.

For starters, compare the Genesis to the V6 Mustang instead of a $40K fully loaded GT. You can get a fully loaded V6 model for the price of a base Gen Coupe, but there are people who will turn the Mustang down without even driving it based on the live axle and the fact that it is American. That's an example of someone who will buy the 2.0T Genesis coupe. And I don't think the Genesis coupe is nearly as nice in any way as a V6 Mustang. The Mustang certainly doesn't cost more.

The other FWD turbo fours you mentioned might be FWD, but have you driven them? Not my first choice for drivetrain layout, but they are quite capable. And the interiors are rather nice on the top sports models. If you are not set on RWD, they all seem like better turbo fours for the money, to me at least.

And I guess if you are gonna mod the crap out of your 2.0T coupe to 300whp anyway, wtf difference does a 10 year warrantee make? You might as well buy used since you are throwing the warrantee out the window once you start modding for turbo power. Anyone who appreciates a RWD Celica obviously isn't hung up on new.

The V6 Genesis coupe is cheaper than the 300hp sports coupes on the market, but then it is also slower and not as nice to drive. Again, one who knows cars can get a year-old anything else for the same money and have a nicer car and a warrantee to boot. Someone who doesn't know cars or who's owned a Hyundai out of warrantee will shy away from used.

It's not about how much of an enthusiast you are, it's about knowing the difference between value and price. Not having enough money to buy a new Ferrari is no excuse to buy a rice-modded Tercel

My point about people who buy Porsche or BMW over Corvette based on brand and dealer "experience" is not necessarily about snobbery. It's about perceived value and what you want for your money. I totally understand someone purchasing a Cayman over a Corvette and don't think it makes them a snob or any more or less of an enthusiast. It's the people driving Mazda3's and calling the Corvette "garbage" that show me they are snobs and not enthusiasts.

I just don't see someone who is car-savvy buying a Genesis for any reason other than just because - there certainly aren't that many brand new RWD turbo fours on the market right now. There's nothing wrong with "just because," but it's a different thing than saying a car is the best option for the money. And that's just my opinion
Old 11-04-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

NuncoStr8, have you driven a Genesis Coupe (in either 4- or 6-cylinder configuration) yet? A simple "Yes" or "No" will suffice.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:29 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

There's engineered and over-engineered, and what works for different situations. Saying the Hyundai block isn't as strong as the Mitsu block is not the same as saying its bad. Mitsu is selling that engine in a $40k car that sees serious track and race use, so the lesser Lancers get the benefit of it. Hyundai is selling a car at a $24k price point, so there's going to be less in it.

The question of what the Hyundai I4 can take will come out when reputable modded versions appear.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Nov 4 2009, 02:29 PM

The question of what the Hyundai I4 can take will come out when reputable modded versions appear.
that sums up what i was trying to say.

Pistons, rods, and cranks can be source aftermarket from the EVO crowd. This solves any inherent "weakness."

All I am trying to say is some may want to bash this car because its a Hyundai. I say respect what you dont know, until it either proves itself one way or another. As far as I can tell the car has potential.

This bashing is no different than the ignorant bashing you might see on a Domestic board talking about our cars, But the reality of it is it really boils down to point of view. But in this case some are Judging the Genesis based on preconceptions of the Hyundai eco-box brand. Hyundai is working hard to change their image, and I'll laugh when this car shows us all up.

I respect a good platform when I see potential, but that still doesn't mean i'll go buy one.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=JonBoy,Nov 4 2009, 11:23 AM] NuncoStr8, have you driven a Genesis Coupe (in either 4- or 6-cylinder configuration) yet?
Old 11-05-2009, 05:50 AM

[QUOTE=NuncoStr8,Nov 5 2009, 01:26 AM]Simple answer: No
[jonboy stop reading here]
I looked at it like "have you tried a McDonald's burger lately?"
Old 11-05-2009, 06:11 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Nov 4 2009, 11:26 PM
Why is it my friend's 330 scares me but the Crown Vic doesn't when they take the same corners at the same speed? I'd put it down to chassis, but it's an intangible for me at this point. Crown Vic 1, BMW 0. IMHO obviously (They both make the turn, BTW)
Most likely the 330 actually does what you tell it to do, TURN. Most people are very used to dumbed-down cars that have their handling tuned to be very benign and understeery. When they get into a car that actually RESPONDS to what you do, not only with the steering wheel, but when you get off the gas/on the brakes, *everything* you do, it spooks 'em.

You get goofy with the throttle while going around a turn in a car that actually HANDLES, and it's going to RESPOND to that input and move around some. Do the same thing in a Crown Vic and it's going to continue on its path barely perturbed. Which most people prefer. But it doesn't mean the Vic HANDLES BETTER, quite the contrary...
Old 11-05-2009, 06:12 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I drove the I4 turbo and it literally did not feel turbocharged, about the same as a Civic LX. IMO the only way to get a Genesis Coupe is the 6 cyl with LSD, that was actually a pretty good car I would consider buying if I was looking at a 370Z type car.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:14 AM

Joe, would you get it over the 370Z? I've yet to drive the Z but the Genesis (stock) just left me wanting more speed, more power, and better handling. Coming from an S2000, the extra torque was nice but everything else didn't feel nearly as focused or intuitive. It's like there was a layer of fat over everything it did...

Quick Reply: Hyundai Genesis Coupe Spec R