Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai Equus First Drive

Old 09-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hondafrvr,Sep 7 2010, 09:55 AM
Wow. Thats unbelieveable. Posting one part that, IMO, makes the article (but I recommend you read the full thing)

To begin with, you've got the normal heated and cooled seat, along with a highly adjustable massage system. From there, you can also enjoy a power headrest that tilts inward to comfortably ensconce your cranium, a seat the reclines so deeply you'd swear your spine is going to hit the luggage, and an ottoman that rises up as a footrest. If you want all this luxury to be heaped on you at once, press a button on the permanent center console, complete with HVAC and infotainment controls, and the right front seat moves forward a foot and tilts to accommodate your expansive dimensions. An eight-inch LCD display rises from behind the front passenger's center armrest, and yes, that's a fridge to your left. You can almost hear the tween screams about who gets the royal throne on road trips.
Sounds like the backseat of the Lexus LS460L - at almost half the price.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by madkimchi,Sep 7 2010, 02:13 PM
cockpit reminds me of Lexus interior specially the center console.

i have no idea why people would spend 50+k on this vehicle.
Ummm...because there is nothing in this price range...hell, NEAR this price range that offers this level of Luxury for the money PERIOD. A friend of mine just got a new TSX V6, loaded, and paid 44K.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Sep 7 2010, 09:03 PM
Ummm...because there is nothing in this price range...hell, NEAR this price range that offers this level of Luxury for the money PERIOD. A friend of mine just got a new TSX V6, loaded, and paid 44K.
I think it is more a matter of $44k for a TSX being absolutely insane than the eqqus being a great deal. Obviously you don't get the laundry list of amenities anywhere else, but you don't get the important ones on this vehicle: performance, refinement, tactile excellence, etc. To me, those are the thing that make a "luxury car". The eqqus just sounds like a "heavily featured" car. There is nothing wrong with that and there are people that will pay for that. But wake me up when it feels like and drives like it's german counterparts and still outfeatures and underprices them.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:25 PM

http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/equus/20...uus_fe_111.html

Check out was non-enthusiasts think it will cost...
Old 09-10-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by dombey,Sep 7 2010, 09:26 PM
I think it is more a matter of $44k for a TSX being absolutely insane than the eqqus being a great deal. Obviously you don't get the laundry list of amenities anywhere else, but you don't get the important ones on this vehicle: performance, refinement, tactile excellence, etc. To me, those are the thing that make a "luxury car". The eqqus just sounds like a "heavily featured" car. There is nothing wrong with that and there are people that will pay for that. But wake me up when it feels like and drives like it's german counterparts and still outfeatures and underprices them.
Have you driven the new Genesis V8? It's not quite up with the top V8 German and Japanese sedan (LS430), but it's not far off. I think when this Equus gets the soon to be released 8-speed auto and 5.0L motor, it's going to be every bit the match of a high-end 5 series or E-class and be a more reasonably priced alternative to the S class, 7 series, A8, etc.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by omg516,Sep 7 2010, 11:15 PM
I'd rather have a CPO A8L.
+1 or pretty much any luxury german brand.

i drive audi now and i am not planning on going back to any japanese car for a long long time unless i have to. once you taste german engineering you don't look back.

hyundai/kia is getting better. but not enough to make me buy one. they sure look nice specially new genesis coupe. i like the interior but quality is not as nice as germans or even japanese cars.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Former Moderator

The first thing that needs to go is that grill.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BALLIN ON A BUDGET
Old 09-11-2010, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by dombey,Sep 7 2010, 09:26 PM
But wake me up when it feels like and drives like it's german counterparts and still outfeatures and underprices them.
The same can be said for Lexus and Acura. Nice overall luxury cars, but even after 20 years they aren't on the same level as zee Germans.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by ozzykhan16,Sep 7 2010, 01:48 PM
Hyundai needs to change the name, like all the other brands toyota/lexus, nissan/infiniti, honda/acura.

This will not sell under the Hyundai name.
I think Hyundai is just trying to set up its own name first. In fact, I won't be surprised if they don't go through with a different brand name.
People need to start enjoying cars for what they are, instead of worrying about the hood emblem.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus First Drive