Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai Equus First Drive

Old 09-07-2010, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyundai Equus First Drive

Yes, Hyundai is punching above its weight and public perception. And yes, it's bringing a luxury sedan to the U.S. that's enjoyed considerable success in its home market. But that's where the similarities to the ill-received Phaeton end and where Volkswagen and Hyundai's strategies part ways. Hyundai recognizes the Equus is a niche product that isn't going to transform the brand. It's a sales, pricing and service experiment. So before we get to the good stuff, let's take a quick look at the automaker's tactics.
While fit and finish are easily on par with anything from luxury marques hailing from Japan or Germany, the overall premium sensation you get from a Lexus or Mercedes is notable by its absence. The materials just don't have the same refined and crafted sensation – something that Genesis buyers moving from another luxury marque have noticed in the past. The brushed aluminum trim adoring the center stack looks nice, but feels slightly flimsy. The double-stitched leather on the dash is nice to the touch, but doesn't give, hinting at a hard plastic tray underneath. The buttons on the steering wheel, center column and instrument panel lack the solidity we've come to expect in something costing over 50-large. In short, if Audi is a tactile "10", M-B a nine and BMW an eight, the Equus is somewhere between a six and seven – well above average, but more aspirational than class-leading.
But tactile and driving compromises aside, the level of luxury for the price is completely unmatched. Actually, that's an understatement. It's simply unheard of. There's absolutely nothing in the new car market that matches the Equus on the amenities front for a similar price-point. Add in the (admittedly, yet-to-be-tested) ownership and service experience, and you've just coated a very compelling cake in Valrohna ganache. Then sprinkled some gold leaf for effect. The Equus isn't just the ultimate Hyundai – it's the ultimate four-wheeled value proposition. And while taking that tack might have failed for Volkswagen, in this day and this age, something with this level of luxury without the weight of a traditional luxury badge could be an asset. Hyundai's about to find out, and its dedication to experimentation can only make the automotive world the wiser.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/07/2011-hy...test/#continued
Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 AM

Wow. Thats unbelieveable. Posting one part that, IMO, makes the article (but I recommend you read the full thing)

If you're fortunate enough to be driven, make your way to the right rear seat. In Ultimate trim, Hyundai calls it First Class, and the accommodations live up to the name.

To begin with, you've got the normal heated and cooled seat, along with a highly adjustable massage system. From there, you can also enjoy a power headrest that tilts inward to comfortably ensconce your cranium, a seat the reclines so deeply you'd swear your spine is going to hit the luggage, and an ottoman that rises up as a footrest. If you want all this luxury to be heaped on you at once, press a button on the permanent center console, complete with HVAC and infotainment controls, and the right front seat moves forward a foot and tilts to accommodate your expansive dimensions. An eight-inch LCD display rises from behind the front passenger's center armrest, and yes, that's a fridge to your left. You can almost hear the tween screams about who gets the royal throne on road trips.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:13 AM

cockpit reminds me of Lexus interior specially the center console.

i have no idea why people would spend 50+k on this vehicle.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:50 AM

it's an interesting idea to be sure. The Phaeton failed due to price alone - it was something like $100K in Canadian prices, +tax. That's IMHO of course.

I doubt a lot of people would be looking at this as a luxo barge. I can see them being used as an alternative in the limo service biz. 5'10" not being "comfortable" in the ultimate right seat might also be a huge knock against it.

Who knows, it'll be great value as a CPO I'll bet.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I'll be more interested once it gets the 5.0L motor and the 8-speed automatic next year.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by madkimchi,Sep 7 2010, 11:13 AM
cockpit reminds me of Lexus interior specially the center console.

i have no idea why people would spend 50+k on this vehicle.
You have no idea why? If youre looking at a luxury sedan..why would you not?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:48 PM

Hyundai needs to change the name, like all the other brands toyota/lexus, nissan/infiniti, honda/acura.

This will not sell under the Hyundai name.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:20 PM

I'll let someone else take the depreciation hit and pick up an Equus Ultimate in 3 years for a tick over $50k. Hell yes.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:15 PM

I'd rather have a CPO A8L.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it cost more to design something that actually looks good?

If they are going to copy the Lexus LS at least make it look good. They did a good job of copying the rear end, the side profile looks fine, but the front end and the Bentley wheels are a miss.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus First Drive