Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai dealer trying to back out of auction

Old 01-20-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyundai dealer trying to back out of auction

I hate reposting autoblog articles in here, since many of you read it anyway, but this one warrants it. I hate car dealers in general, but dealers like this need the hulksmash

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/20/hyundai...-doesnt-want-to

Cliffnotes: Buyer wins no reserve auction, dealer refuses to honor agreement, laughs at winner for expecting to get his good deal

Originally Posted by autoblog
Glenn Hyundai of Lexington, Kentucky placed a slightly used Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T on eBay Motors. There was no reserve, and a gencoupe.com forum member named McFly made a bid of $16,125 and won the auction (here's a PDF of the auction in case the eBay link goes dead).

Not a bad price, especially as the Gen Coupe in question had less than 5,000 miles on it and costs over $22,000 when new. McFly then secures financing from his bank to pay for the Coupe, makes the necessary travel arrangements to go pick up his car (he doesn't live in Kentucky) and calls the dealer to put down a deposit with his credit card. This is when things begin to go bad. We'll let McFly take it from here:

I talk to the front desk secretary, ask her how to make my deposit for an Internet Sales deal I have, and she immediately transfers me to Eric Manley. I talk to Eric briefly and he laughs at me over the phone, "Sorry buddy but you're not getting it for that price, he says." I tell him it's a deal that I have worked out with the Internet Sales guy, and I'm ready to make the deposit. He laughs at me again, and says, "sorry buddy, not for that price." It's obvious that this guy knows nothing about it, but it's odd that he won't let me make my deposit. He's clearly either confused or not the right guy.
UPDATE, situation resolved

Please stop.

We are trying to finalize an agreement, and glenn hyundai is still being bombarded with calls and emails.

Stop now! Or, all your efforts are in vain! Stop now! Stop please! Please please please stop. Thankyou for your help, but it needs to stop. Please follow the updates with jalopnik.com and here. Wait for updates please.

your help is appreciated. Please help me get this finished up now, by not bombarding glenn hyundai.

I may need to join dozens of other forums to stop this. I don't want to have to do that. This is my only online forum i am on. Follow me here.
UPDATE #2

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/25/its-on-...e-buyer-jilted/

They have now failed on their 'verbal agreement' whatever that was. OP has lawyered up.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I'd take it to court if I really wanted the car. They will have it sold by then, but you'd still get something out of the deal.

If dealers don't know how to use Ebay, they should stay off Ebay.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't ebay enforce this stuff? I mean, they make profits out of the sale, so if a bid is won and not enforced, they'll lose money
Old 01-20-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by vader1,Jan 20 2010, 05:50 PM
I'd take it to court if I really wanted the car. They will have it sold by then, but you'd still get something out of the deal.

If dealers don't know how to use Ebay, they should stay off Ebay.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:03 PM

If the guy had bid the car up to $30k do you think the dealer would demand payment? I suspect they would. I think the dealer should learn an expensive but valuable lesson.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

In court, the dealer would. The issue is whether the buyer will bother. Lawyer and court costs will pretty much kill any savings, but the dealer's rep is vulnerable.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jan 20 2010, 04:18 PM
In court, the dealer would. The issue is whether the buyer will bother. Lawyer and court costs will pretty much kill any savings, but the dealer's rep is vulnerable.
Yup, but I believe this is where ebay steps in though and why ebay is so widely used, they really do their best to protect consumers.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:23 PM

who wants hyundai anyway? i am korean but i would never purchase a korean car.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Former Moderator

UPDATE #3: More from McFly: "Good news, Glenn Hyundai and I have come to an agreement. I am now taking the next step, and changing every one of my posts to reflect that 'This was a misunderstanding and we have come to an agreement.'

I'll give the details of the agreement once everything has been finalized.

Thanks so much for all the help that you've all given me."

No word on what the "agreement" is, nor what the "misunderstanding" consisted of. That said, all of McFly's posts have been changed to read, "This was a misunderstanding and we have come to an agreement."

I'm thinking we'll eventually find out what happened. I suspect he won in the end.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:07 PM

Love the power of the internet, absolutely love it!

Quick Reply: Hyundai dealer trying to back out of auction