Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hydrogen cars?

Old 09-22-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 22 2006, 12:04 PM
Do you remember the "OIL SHORTAGE" of the 70's and 80's? Well, that turned out to be Oil companies and governments will get the right scientists to say what they want them to say for their own agendas. And those agendas may have little resemblance to the truth. Sure, one day, all the oil will be gone (or will it?), but who really knows when that will be. It's like the perennial debate that goes on here about when the "last" year of S2000 will be.
Yes, I remember.. I worked for an oil company at the time. No one knowledgeable believed we had a shortage of supplies, but rather a shortage of production. That is similar to what we have today where the gap between max production and current demand is so close it drives price volatility.

The cold fact is that worldwide reserve finds seem to have peaked (not stopped) and worldwide production looks to be close to peak. This does not mean we are running out of oil, but that demand will outstrip production in the near future.

This is a much larger issue than most people realize. Modern civilization and it huge population is built on availability of hydrocarbons. Not just for transportation, but for most industry and broad population expansion and living standards. Many modern materials and processes we use are available because of petroluem feed stocks.

I am not a doomsayer; in fact I think we should concentrate as much on efficient use of hydrocarbons as much as alternatives, but this is an issue that will change civilization on this planet. We will not live the next thousand years growing and burning stuff the way we lived the last thousand.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

An interesting comment:

"The vehicles aren't yet commercially feasible. Honda has said it costs at least $1 million to build each hydrogen-powered car."

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automoti...ieds-autos-news
Old 09-25-2006, 09:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Honda has said it costs at least $1 million to build each hydrogen-powered car."
I'm in for a couple.