Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

hybrid suvs

Old 12-22-2007, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hybrid suvs

Hi all,

My uncle is planning on buying a new SUV hybrid, since someone rearended his ML Benz and totalled it.

He's looking primarily looking at the Lexus RX, and maybe the Toyota Highlander. He lives on a small ranch near San Diego and will also use it to port around his dog.

Any recs or suggestions? Thanks!
Old 12-22-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the RX has been around for a long time. If he needs a fullsize then the Cadillac Escalade/GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe will be coming out with their hybrid model soon. Also Ford Escape & Saturn Vue in the midsize range.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:45 PM

The Toyota/Lexus Hybrid SUV does not have a real 4x4 setup if you need it.

It is really FWD with an EV motor for the rear when traction is needed. And when the EV motor is hot, it will just spin... ie. an expensive FWD.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:55 PM

Too bad he can't likely get an MB diesel SUV in CA, I'd go w/ that over any hybrid SUV.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:01 PM

The VW Tourag is supposed to have the 3.0 TDI for CA for MY 2010.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:10 PM

Actually, if you really wanted economy in a full sized SUV, have you considered the Tourage 5 litre V 10 diesel TDI? Don't let that $69K MSRP fool you. VW is dealing on these cars. I think that most of the sources I have read indicate that hybrids, cradle to grave, have a larger carbon foot print than conventionally powered vehicles. I suspect though that hybrids give consumers a sense that they are actually doing something postive for the environment. They are great feel good purchases.

I think that the new M-Class 3.2 litre diesel is even more economical than the VW for about the same price.

Hopefully, these are available in Ca.

If all he is doing is using this SUV to cart around his dog, what about the new Tiguan with the 2.0 litre common rail direct injection diesel? Wouldn't this be big enough for his dog? Or does he need to cart stuff around which requires a full size vehicle?
Old 12-23-2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by triman54,Dec 23 2007, 08:10 PM
...I have read indicate that hybrids, cradle to grave, have a larger carbon foot print than conventionally powered vehicles. I suspect though that hybrids give consumers a sense that they are actually doing something postive for the environment. They are great feel good purchases.

When is this myth from CNW ever going to stop? They said that their statistics show hybrids only last 100k, while H2 last 300k. That is why the dust to dust cost is bad.

Even our none Global Warming believers agreed that is just bad math.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:42 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marthafokker,Dec 23 2007, 10:16 PM
Even our none Global Warming believers agreed that is just bad math.
Haven't you noticed that since more and more people are seeing Global Warming as a natural thing that may or may not really be happening? Now the name of the movement is changing? Many of the former people of the Global Warming movement are now calling it Global Climate Change. That's smart, they've got it all covered and in a few years we'll forget Global Warming just like we've mostly forgotten all the Global Cooling / New Ice Age from 20 or 25 years ago.

BTW, I don't doubt that the climate is in a state of change.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by CG,Dec 24 2007, 04:42 PM
Haven't you noticed that since more and more people are seeing Global Warming as a natural thing that may or may not really be happening? Now the name of the movement is changing? Many of the former people of the Global Warming movement are now calling it Global Climate Change. That's smart, they've got it all covered and in a few years we'll forget Global Warming just like we've mostly forgotten all the Global Cooling / New Ice Age from 20 or 25 years ago.

BTW, I don't doubt that the climate is in a state of change.
Sorry, but it's going the other way. More people are seeing the effects of climate change, than not. Again the amount of people that believe that man is having an effect on the environment is far higher than not. In most educated countries it is in the high 80 percentile, whereas in the USA it is in the mix 60%.

Also some people don't consider diesel, because in a lot of places finding gas stations with diesel is relatively rare.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:54 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you Fanman. I have no problem with what you said even if I don't fully agree. You did somewhat make my point by calling it climate change instead of warming.

I am aware that some people have problems with diesel for several reasons. It's rare that I have trouble finding it but it has happened that I was getting worried before getting it. Just happened once late at night when I was towing a big car hauler, but still... My daily driver car is a diesel, my truck is a diesel, and my tractor is a diesel.

I would buy a Honda diesel in a heartbeat. The VW SUV would also make my wife very happy.

Quick Reply: hybrid suvs