Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

hummer H3

Old 12-10-2005, 06:29 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

How anyone could want one of these after the gas issues after Katrina escapes me. If anything we should learn that oil is a precious resource and we should all try and be a little more responsible. Try to find the most fuel efficient vehicle that meets your needs. Hopefully you can find something worthy that gets 20MPG. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the styling of it in and out. i was thinking about buying but decided i will wait it out until there is larger motor (v8 would be nice). it is bound to happen. until then i settled on a element (go figure) because it will hold my bike and snowboards and it is very functional. my wifes lease is up in a year and if they are available in larger motor then we will revisit the idea.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:32 AM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

[QUOTE=TommyDeVito,Dec 10 2005, 07:29 PM] How anyone could want one of these after the gas issues after Katrina escapes me.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:10 AM

I do live in vegas so i really don't need a off road vehicle but just thought it would be a fun car to have.Any recommendations on a car around 25-30k?sedans are boring.....
Old 12-11-2005, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by switchcars,Dec 10 2005, 08:31 AM
a big NO on the Freelander, that has one of the worst reliability track records of any SUV. (this coming form a former Land Rover salesman!)

I did drive the H3 the other day, just to see what the hype was, and I was marginally impressed above my expectations. However, my expectations were for it to be a piece of junk! That said, if you can get over the exterior design, I found the interior to be suprisingly comfortable, and *fairly* well laid out (relative to american fit and finish). It was a comfortable car to drive as well. However, my biggest dislike was the fact that it just was incredibly WIMPY. It has a horrible engine sound for a hummer, more like a buss than anything else. The car had absolutely no guts, which made it seem that if you were actually trying to tow something, you couldn't. It also had a nice vibrato at idle that drove me nuts.

That said....it's what's to be expected for a $30k american SUV. Better than the Trailblazer, but not as good as a Highlander or Pilot.
can the highlander or pilot offroad like the h3............. ah no. the pilot and highlander are made for on road.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:08 PM

my wife loves the look of it, IMO i would just get the new srt8 jeep
Old 12-11-2005, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito,Dec 10 2005, 07:29 PM
How anyone could want one of these after the gas issues after Katrina escapes me. If anything we should learn that oil is a precious resource and we should all try and be a little more responsible. Try to find the most fuel efficient vehicle that meets your needs. Hopefully you can find something worthy that gets 20MPG. Good luck.
WTF ?

My S get's 17 mpg and can only carry one passenger. How is that better than a car that can carry at least 5 people plus alot of their crap and get's the same mileage?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:12 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted04S2k,Dec 11 2005, 07:10 AM
I do live in vegas so i really don't need a off road vehicle but just thought it would be a fun car to have.Any recommendations on a car around 25-30k?sedans are boring.....
Sedans boring? I'd get a used S4 for 25-30K. An Evo is a sedan. The 300C might be an option.
Sedans aside though, I'd say Element, Highlander, CR-V, RAV-4, or a Forrester. . . maybe a X3 if you dig the looks (and are going on the high side of the price scale).
Old 12-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I was waiting for Hummers to come up again.

I stole this from another board, apparently it is from the Simpsons.

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive, smells like a steak and seats thirty-five...

Canyonero!

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down, It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown!

Canyonero!

The Federal Highway comission has ruled the Canyonero unsafe for highway or city driving.

Canyonero!

Top of the line in utility sports, Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!

Canyonero!

She blinds everybody with her super high beams, She's a squirrel crushing, deer smacking, driving machine!

Canyonero!-oh woah, Canyonero! (Yah!)

Drive Canyonero!

Woah Canyonero!

Woah!
Old 12-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by WFO Racer,Dec 11 2005, 07:11 PM
WTF ?

My S get's 17 mpg and can only carry one passenger. How is that better than a car that can carry at least 5 people plus alot of their crap and get's the same mileage?
Beacause if you are only getting 17 your driving style is pretty leadfooted, and drive the same way in an H2 or H3 and you will get 8 in an H2 and maybe 12 in the H3.

Claiming that the top milage rating a car can get rolling downhill with a tailwind is equal to what you get with the tach at a constant 9000 rpm in your S2000 is NOT an apples to apples comparison. That would be an obvious stretch. I drive pretty aggresively with lots of Vtec'ing and get about 24 in mixed driving.

People can buy what they want, it is a free country, but these arguments that giant SUVs are somehow great economicall gas saving cars is perplexing and stupid. You can also carry five people and lots of their stuff in a Camry, Accord, Prius, blah blah. Nobody says you have to buy them, you can buy a guzzler if you want too.

The " My Tahoe get only 13, but since I haul 4 people 3% of the time so it really is economical if you think about it" argument is lame. Buy a giant car if you have some kids, tow a boat, or even if you want one because you think they are cool. Great. But trying to convince everybody that they somehow are these miserly gas sippers for drivng around town is just an attempt to make people dumber.

Quick Reply: hummer H3