Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

hummer H3

Old 12-10-2005, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hummer H3

was thinking about getting a second car.what do you guys think about the H3,has anyone test drove one?I heard it's like 30k. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:17 AM

I can't honestly say that I'm a fan of the H2 or H3. I can't remember which comedian said this (might have been David Cross), but he said that, "an H2 or a H3 is not a Hummer. It is a GMC pickup truck in a plastic halloween costume!"

That said, if you like it...go test drive one. No hurt in doing that.

You may also look into the Land Rover Freelander. It is slightly cheaper (@ $26-27k), and gives you an extra cylinder (V6 vs. Inline 5 in the H3) and gets the exact same mpg.

Craig
Old 12-10-2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by JAXrsx,Dec 10 2005, 08:17 AM
You may also look into the Land Rover Freelander. It is slightly cheaper (@ $26-27k), and gives you an extra cylinder (V6 vs. Inline 5 in the H3) and gets the exact same mpg.
a big NO on the Freelander, that has one of the worst reliability track records of any SUV. (this coming form a former Land Rover salesman!)

I did drive the H3 the other day, just to see what the hype was, and I was marginally impressed above my expectations. However, my expectations were for it to be a piece of junk! That said, if you can get over the exterior design, I found the interior to be suprisingly comfortable, and *fairly* well laid out (relative to american fit and finish). It was a comfortable car to drive as well. However, my biggest dislike was the fact that it just was incredibly WIMPY. It has a horrible engine sound for a hummer, more like a buss than anything else. The car had absolutely no guts, which made it seem that if you were actually trying to tow something, you couldn't. It also had a nice vibrato at idle that drove me nuts.

That said....it's what's to be expected for a $30k american SUV. Better than the Trailblazer, but not as good as a Highlander or Pilot.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:16 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Big no on the H3 - cramped interior, lousy mpg, weak engine. The H2 is probably the only Hummer worth getting, and in that case, you might as well look at other alternatives. If you need a second car, why the choice of a truck?
Old 12-10-2005, 09:45 AM

just wanted something a little roomy as i live in vegas,when friends come to visit i need something bigger then a 2 seater.And i am getting a little bored of the s2k need some change.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They start at $29k something, but my guess is you'll be able to haggle a lot and get some decent rebates/discounts fairly quickly here. I do like their commercial with the 3 bears though. The chick at the end is cute
Old 12-10-2005, 11:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We were inchs from buying one till we test drove it... What a sluggish pig! I mean I know it is a SUV but that motor seriously needs more hp to get it going. Even city driving was getting a bit annoying mashing the gas all the way down just to keep up with traffic after a U-Turn. It does have good off-road capabilities supposedly but other than that the interior is cheap and it just doesnt feel like it is worth 30k.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by S2kracka,Dec 10 2005, 11:12 AM
They start at $29k something, but my guess is you'll be able to haggle a lot and get some decent rebates/discounts fairly quickly here. I do like their commercial with the 3 bears though. The chick at the end is cute
Yep that chick who stole the H3 is cute
Old 12-10-2005, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by switchcars,Dec 10 2005, 08:31 AM
That said....it's what's to be expected for a $30k american SUV. Better than the Trailblazer, but not as good as a Highlander or Pilot.
The Highlander and Pilot are nowhere near as good as the H3 offroad. Keep that in mind. The H3 is a real truck meant for offroad use.

The Highlander is a raised Camry and the Pilot is a restyled Odyssey. The Camry and Pilot are meant for speed bumps at a mall.

It all depends on your needs.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Dec 10 2005, 01:16 PM
The H2 is probably the only Hummer worth getting
uh...are u serious? H2 is the watered-down soccer mom hummer for women who dont want an H1. H3 is for 17-22 year olds. although, i like the H3 more than the H2 (appearance-wise), the engine in the H3 is weak.
-Chris

Quick Reply: hummer H3