Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

HRE wheels being banned!

Old 06-09-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HRE wheels being banned!

Porsche Club of America and the Viper Club of America could place a ban of HRE wheels because of weak tolerences and crappy quality. HRE used to be one of my favorite wheels !

Link Below:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthr...&threadid=28033
Old 06-09-2005, 11:31 AM

I'm not surprised with HREs. They used a forged process, but outside of stress simulation, no one ever uses HREs for racing, so there's never been any real tests of strength. I AM, however, surprised on the Kinesis wheels. I've known many ppl that use Kinesis wheels as race wheels in SWC and they haven't had any probs. They get a lot of feedback from racers when something is damaged and improve the designs. Testing, whether lab or real world (ideally both), will always yield a more robust product then simulations alone. I like HRE designs, but have never thought of them as one of the strongest wheels. Still surprised on the Kinesis, but that may be an isolated case. The break looks like a design flaw...maybe a bad batch, which is bad news for others who have wheels from that batch. Fikse is another option to Kinesis...similar race history and background.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:12 PM

HRE wheels are more for style/bling than track use. No hard core track junkie would use HREs as track rims
Old 06-09-2005, 12:15 PM

never was a fan of HRE, just too much bling bling for my taste....but BBS CH
Old 06-09-2005, 12:40 PM

I'm not surprised either...they look beautiful but I had to replace 2 sets inside of 2 years due to issues with water build up and coagilation to the point the wheels could no longer be balanced properly. I have no problem paying for quality but I will NOT buy another set of HRE's.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AHAHAHA!
i'm sorry but i find this news so funny.

while they are still good quality wheels for streets...
and people are dumb enough to use tooth pick- spoked deco wheels on 500+ hp vipers to race,

there are too many people mindlessly worshipping hre/ kinesis.
epsecially some... "cough" s2000... "cough" porsche, audi... "cought" bmw turds...
yea, they are superior to volks and bbs in every way because
they cost more, all custom made and more bling, right?

a good wake up call for those hre/ kinesis fan- bois.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by derryck,Jun 9 2005, 01:40 PM
I'm not surprised either...they look beautiful but I had to replace 2 sets inside of 2 years due to issues with water build up and coagilation to the point the wheels could no longer be balanced properly. I have no problem paying for quality but I will NOT buy another set of HRE's.
derryck,

Care to elaborate further on the water build up issues you were having. I've heard of this mentioned before but did not get any details on what was actually happening.

Maybe I should just jump ship now and sell my HRE's while I can still get a decent return on it...
Old 06-09-2005, 03:03 PM

The 6speed online forums talks about issues in powdercoating..

Which kinda hits home.. I know someone whose stock STi BBS wheel (forged) bent AT THE SPOKES after powdercoating them black.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:07 PM

At least these incidents are being broadcasted all over the internet so quickly. It'll serve as a good warning for other people who might have otherwise got into some serious trouble.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:51 PM

read it again they said they were not HRE's. They were kenisis.

Quick Reply: HRE wheels being banned!